Can These Points Form a Square in Geometric Constructions?

Hint: i \, w is a rotation of w by 90 degrees. OK, now ask yourself, what does R-P mean geometrically? R-P is a vector from P to R. What does i(R-P) mean geometrically? So how can you use this to show that P-S = R-Q = i(R-P)?In summary, the problem asks to show that the points P,Q,R,S, which are the centers and midpoints of squares ABDE and BCGH, form the vertices of a square. A hint is given to use the equation P-S = R-Q = i(R-P), where i is imaginary, which represents a rotation of a vector by 90 degrees.
heyo12
let ABDE and BCGH be squares lying outside the traingle ABC. The centres of these sqaures are P & Q respecitvely, and the midpoints of the line segments AC and DH are R & S respectively. Show that the points P,Q,R,S are vertices of a square?

any ideas on how to do this please?

the only hint i have is to show that P-S = R-Q = i(R -P) where i = imaginary..

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Er... this is homework, correct? FYI, somewhere around PF we have a special place with special rules for homework help.

Here's a hint: if you have an equation like [itex]z = i \, w[/itex], you know that [itex]z, w[/itex] are complex numbers, yes? But you know that these can be thought of as vectors, right? So what does [itex]z = i \, w[/itex] mean geometrically?

To solve this problem, we can use coordinate geometry. Let's assume that the coordinates of point A are (0,0) and the coordinates of point B are (a,b). Then the coordinates of point C will be (a/2, b/2) since it is the midpoint of the line segment AB.

Now, let's find the coordinates of point R. Since R is the midpoint of the line segment AC, its coordinates will be ((0 + a/2)/2, (0 + b/2)/2) = (a/4, b/4).

Similarly, the coordinates of point P will be ((0 + a)/2, (0 + b)/2) = (a/2, b/2).

Now, let's find the coordinates of point Q. Since Q is the center of the square BCGH, its coordinates will be (a + b, b/2) since it is the midpoint of the line segment BC.

Finally, the coordinates of point S will be ((a + b + a/4)/2, (b/2 + b)/2) = (3a/8 + b/4, 3b/8).

Now, let's calculate the distances between the points P, Q, R, and S.

Distance between P and S:
√((a/8)^2 + (b/8)^2) = √(a^2 + b^2)/8

Distance between R and Q:
√((a/4)^2 + (b/4)^2) = √(a^2 + b^2)/4

Distance between R and P:
√((a/4 - a/2)^2 + (b/4 - b/2)^2) = √(a^2 + b^2)/4

Now, let's calculate the imaginary number i(R-P):
i(R-P) = i((a/4, b/4) - (a/2, b/2)) = i(-a/4, -b/4) = -ia/4 + ib/4

Therefore, P-S = R-Q = i(R-P) = √(a^2 + b^2)/8 - √(a^2 + b^2)/4 - (-ia/4 + ib/4)
= √(a^2 + b^2

Related to Can These Points Form a Square in Geometric Constructions?

What is an imaginary shape?

An imaginary shape is a geometric shape that does not exist in the physical world. It is a concept that can only be visualized or described mathematically.

Why are imaginary shapes important?

Imaginary shapes are important because they allow us to think beyond the limitations of physical reality. They also play a crucial role in mathematics, helping to solve complex problems and understand abstract concepts.

Can an imaginary shape be drawn?

No, an imaginary shape cannot be drawn in the traditional sense because it does not exist in the physical world. However, it can be represented through drawings or diagrams to help visualize its properties.

What is an example of an imaginary shape?

One example of an imaginary shape is a tesseract, also known as a 4-dimensional cube. It is impossible to visualize in three-dimensional space, but it can be represented through diagrams and equations.

Why do we study imaginary shapes?

We study imaginary shapes to expand our understanding of geometry and mathematics, and to challenge our thinking beyond what is physically possible. They also have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and physics.