Can Tungsten Be Used as a Solution for Yellowstone's Super Volcano?

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volcano
In summary, a recent article discussed the use of a super volcano in Yellowstone as a potential source of energy transfer, with a proposed solution involving drilling and pumping water into the volcano. The estimated cost for this project is 3.5 billion dollars, which is comparable to the cost of building a nuclear power plant in the speaker's country. The main question raised is whether using a metal or alloy as a medium for thermal energy transfer would be more efficient than using water. However, the speaker argues that water has a high heat capacity and can also be used to produce electricity, making it a more efficient option. Additionally, while materials like tungsten may have a higher thermal conductivity, they are much more expensive. Ultimately, the proposed method of using
Vrbic
Hello,
recently I noticed an article about super volcano in Yellowstone and NASA's solution by drill and pumping water in there which will be a medium for energy transfer. I hope I have read good article with good informations. A price estimation was around 3.5 mld dollars. In my country we have build an nulcear power plant around 5 mld dollars so for me this aspect realable. Do you agree?
My main question is: Would be better to use as medium some kind of metal or alloy as a bar which would transfer thermal energy by thermal conducting?

Temperature of core is around 5000 C. A melting point of wolfram is around 4000 C so such materials exists. They have to exists, a borer has to resist such temperature. Also you need not to pump the water in there and spare energy. What is your oppinion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Convection is much more efficient than conductivity, and water has a very high heat capacity. You can use the hot water to produce electricity - the system also works as power plant.

Tungsten has a thermal conductivity of 173 W/(m·K). A 500 m column at 500 K temperature difference between the ends (that is unrealistically high) will conduct 173 W/m2. It has a price of 200 million dollars per square meter. With 3.5 billions you can transfer about 3 kW. A negligible power. A single cubic centimeter of water per second, turned to steam, can do the same.
You could use other materials than tungsten, of course - iron has a lower thermal conductivity, but it is much cheaper. That gives you a factor ~30 mainly from the lower price. 100 kW is still a negligible power.

Likes Vrbic

1. What is the Yellowstone volcano solution?

The Yellowstone volcano solution is a proposed method to prevent a potential catastrophic eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano. It involves drilling a series of deep wells into the volcano's magma chamber and injecting water at high pressure to cool down the magma and prevent it from reaching critical temperatures for eruption.

2. How effective is the Yellowstone volcano solution?

The effectiveness of the Yellowstone volcano solution is still under debate. Some experts believe that it could significantly reduce the risk of eruption, while others argue that it could potentially trigger an eruption by altering the pressure and temperature of the magma chamber.

3. Is the Yellowstone volcano solution being implemented?

No, the Yellowstone volcano solution is currently just a theoretical concept and has not been implemented. It would require significant funding and technology advancements to be put into practice.

4. What are the potential risks of implementing the Yellowstone volcano solution?

Some potential risks of implementing the Yellowstone volcano solution include causing unintended changes to the volcano's natural processes, triggering an eruption, and the possibility of causing earthquakes due to the injection of water into the ground.

5. Are there any other proposed solutions for preventing a Yellowstone eruption?

Yes, there are other proposed solutions for preventing a Yellowstone eruption, such as installing a network of sensors to monitor the volcano's activity, and implementing early warning systems to evacuate nearby areas in the event of an imminent eruption.