Can we produce magnetic field from stationary charge?

In summary, the sources of magnetic field include moving charges, varying electric fields, and the intrinsic magnetic moments of subatomic particles. However, a charge at rest cannot produce a magnetic field unless there is motion, a time-dependent electric field, or the spin of particles involved. It is possible to produce a time-varying electric field without moving the charge, but this would require electromagnetic radiation. The concept of a radiating particle in its rest frame is still being discussed and debated.
ovais
Dear all, I know the sources of magnetic field are moving charges or varying electric field. I also know that subatomic particles(even neutron) have their own magnetic moment due to its quark and spin and their magnetic moment is explained by invoking quantum mechanics(though I don't know how because to be true I do not have detailed knowledge of the subject of quantum mechanics). However my question is not about the intrinsic magnetic moments of subatomic charge particles but about some charge at rest. Suppose I have a charge particle at some point in space and I can say at some other point in space there is an electric field that's fine. Now my question is can I get a magnetic field at some point due to this charge without making the charge in motion?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

You need motion, time-dependent electric fields, or the spin of particles to have magnetic fields.

mfb said:
No.

You need motion, time-dependent electric fields, or the spin of particles to have magnetic fields.
Thank you :)

mfb said:
No.

One more thing to ask, Isn't there a way to produce time-varing electric field without moving the very charge?

Electromagnetic radiation, if you ignore where this radiation would come from. Apart from that: No.

I am not sure but believe that if a charged particle is stationary in an oscillating (e.g. sinusoidal) gravitational field then it will radiate.

At least that is what the principle of equivalence predicts.

In any case take any radiating particle. You can always observe it from within its rest frame. I believe it will still radiate.

Justintruth said:
In any case take any radiating particle. You can always observe it from within its rest frame. I believe it will still radiate.
That rest frame is not an inertial frame then.

If charged particles following geodesics radiate (e. g. if they make a hyperbolic orbit around a star) is still discussed.

Justintruth said:
I am not sure but believe that if a charged particle is stationary in an oscillating (e.g. sinusoidal) gravitational field then it will radiate.

At least that is what the principle of equivalence predicts.

It will not, it does not, and it will not.

1. How can stationary charges produce a magnetic field?

According to Maxwell's equations, a changing electric field can produce a magnetic field. Therefore, if the stationary charges are in motion or experiencing a change in electric field, they can produce a magnetic field.

2. Is it possible to produce a magnetic field from stationary charges without any external forces?

No, according to the principle of relativity, a stationary charge will not produce a magnetic field without any external forces acting upon it.

3. How do stationary charges contribute to the overall strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field produced by stationary charges depends on the magnitude and direction of the charges as well as their distance from the observation point. The overall contribution of stationary charges to the magnetic field is determined by the superposition principle, where the individual fields from each charge add up to create the total magnetic field.

4. Can a magnetic field be produced by a single, isolated stationary charge?

No, a single, isolated stationary charge cannot produce a magnetic field. A changing electric field is required to produce a magnetic field, and a single charge cannot change its own electric field.

5. How is the magnetic field produced by stationary charges different from that of moving charges?

The magnetic field produced by stationary charges is typically weaker than that of moving charges, as the motion of charges contributes significantly to the strength of the field. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field produced by stationary charges is determined by the direction of the electric field, while the direction of the field produced by moving charges is perpendicular to both the direction of the motion and the direction of the electric field.