Can we see real, inverted and magnified images without a screen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of creating a real, inverted and magnified image using a convergent lens and observing it from the right side, resulting in the image being formed behind the observer. It is explained that the image will appear out of focus due to the eye lens not being able to focus already converging rays on the retina. The possibility of a real, magnified image formed by a convergent lens that is not blurry is also explored. It is mentioned that a similar question was raised about concave mirrors, with the conclusion being that the image will still be blurry due to the eye lens not being designed for hyper infinity focus.
jaumzaum
I was wondering, if I put an object in the left, a convergent lens in the middle, in such a way that I create a real, inverted and magnified image in the right, and I observe the lens from the right side, in such a way that the image is formed behind me, how would it appear to me? I cannot imagine how can we see something that is behind ourselves. Do anyone have a picture of this?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
It will simply look out of focus.

Check out

jaumzaum said:
I was wondering, if I put an object in the left, a convergent lens in the middle, in such a way that I create a real, inverted and magnified image in the right, and I observe the lens from the right side, in such a way that the image is formed behind me, how would it appear to me? I cannot imagine how can we see something that is behind ourselves. Do anyone have a picture of this?

Don't forget that your eye has a lens in it- you can't pretend to put your eye where a screen is and expect to 'see' what is on the screen.

1606226489219.png

From your video this is the real-inverted-magnified image. It's blur.

Consider my explanation. Our crystalline can bend to a maximum, when they acquire a minimum focus, say f1. They cannot bend more thanthat. The image above needed a focus smaller than f1 to be converged in our retina, that's why it's blur.

That explanation is not the same to say that "all real magnified images needs to be blur", because it can be tat, in a different configuration (for example, a less magnified real image that needs a bigger crystalline focus to be converged in the retina) the crystalline could converge it.

Am I right? Are there real, magnified images formed by convergent lenses that are not blur?

jaumzaum said:
I cannot imagine how can we see something that is behind ourselves. Do anyone have a picture of this?
We had a similar question about concave mirrors, with the eye placed between mirror and real image, so it also receives already converging rays:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...d-in-front-of-it-and-not-behind.990974/page-3

Here the object is the face itself, at the same position as the eye, with the real image behind the head. And yes, the seen image will be blurry because our eye lens usually doesn't focus already converging rays on the retina. So it's not build/trained for that. You would need a thinner eye lens than for infinity focus: hyper infinity.

concave_mirror_500px-png.png

Last edited:

1. Can we see real images without a screen?

Yes, we can see real images without a screen. A real image is formed when light rays converge at a point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. This image can be seen with the naked eye.

2. Can we see inverted images without a screen?

Yes, we can see inverted images without a screen. An inverted image is formed when light rays cross over each other after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. This image can also be seen with the naked eye.

3. Can we see magnified images without a screen?

Yes, we can see magnified images without a screen. A magnified image is formed when the size of the image is larger than the original object. This can be achieved with a lens or mirror, and the magnified image can be seen without the use of a screen.

4. How do we see real, inverted, and magnified images without a screen?

We can see real, inverted, and magnified images without a screen by using a lens or mirror to manipulate the path of light rays. The lens or mirror can bend or reflect the light in a way that creates an image that is either real, inverted, or magnified.

5. Can we see all three types of images (real, inverted, and magnified) at the same time without a screen?

No, we cannot see all three types of images simultaneously without a screen. This is because the formation of each type of image requires a specific arrangement of lenses or mirrors. However, we can see a combination of these images by using multiple lenses or mirrors in a device such as a microscope or telescope.