Can you explain the flow of electrons in Photosystems I and II?

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
In summary, the photosystems are responsible for converting light into energy. Non-cyclic photophosphorylation happens just like it normally does, with the electrons being energized by light and taken to another primary electron acceptor. Cyclic photophosphorylation happens when the electrons are reenergized and taken to another primary electron acceptor. Finally, ferrodoxin is the electron acceptor that ends up in both cases.
crays
Hi, I'm having trouble on understand the Photosystems as my book is not really clear about it.

It says that in the non-cyclic photophosphorylation electrons are released from photosystem II and are released then the electrons are accepted by the primary electron acceptor then by plastoquinone then cytochrome b6f complex then plastocyanin and then to photosystem I. In photosystem I the high energy electron is ejected and passes onto electron acceptor ferredoxin and then NADP+ reductase and the NADP+ reductase makes NADPH and release it to the stroma.

Then it says in the cyclic photophosphorylation, electron are released from the photosystem I and the electron are passed on to an electron acceptor called FeS. FeS then passes the electron to ferredoxin.

I'm confused, aren't FeS ferredoxin? and it also says that in cytochrome b6f complex, the flow of electrons provides energy to pump H+ across the thylakoid membrane. What does this means?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well it looks like non-cyclic photophosphorylation is described clearly. The electrons from Photosystem II (PSII) passed through the electron transport train (ETC) and ended up at Photosystem I (PSI). They are reenergized by light at that point and taken to another primary electron acceptor. Ferrodoxin is the last electron acceptor (as you'll see, it plays a part in both cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation) and in non-cyclic phosphorylation, it reduces NADP+ reductase.

Now FeS is Iron Sulfide and is not ferrodoxin. I think the book mentioned FeS as just a electron acceptor, and nothing more. Basically in noncyclic photophosphorylation, we start at PSII as we normally do and light energizes the electrons. Then they high energy electrons are taken by a primary electron acceptor (probably FeS, the name of the molecule isn't highly important) and are passed on to the Electron Transport Chain. Ferredoxin and Cytochrome are both carrier proteins in the ETC and they pass the electrons down from one carrier protein to another. As the electrons move down, they lose energy and this energy is used to phosphorylate about 1.5 ATP molecules.

Then the electrons arrive at PSI and get reenergized again and taken to another primary electron acceptor and this time these highly energized molecules can be passed down the ETC again (hence the term cyclic photophosphorylation) or passed on to the last electron acceptor ferrodoxin, and this goes back to my first paragraph on noncyclic photophosphorylation.

Thus in summary, ferrodoxin is the last electron acceptor and also a carrier protein and plays a role in noncyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation, respectively.

As for how the flow of energy pumps H+ ions, I would suggest reading up on the chemiosmotic theory.

Thanks. Really made things clear.

Related to Can you explain the flow of electrons in Photosystems I and II?

1. What are photosystems?

Photosystems are complex protein structures found in the thylakoid membrane of plants, algae, and cyanobacteria. They are responsible for absorbing light energy and converting it into chemical energy through the process of photosynthesis.

2. How many photosystems are there?

There are two photosystems, aptly named Photosystem I and Photosystem II. They work together in a series of reactions to capture and transfer energy from light.

3. How do photosystems work?

Photosystems contain chlorophyll and other pigments that absorb light energy and use it to excite electrons. These electrons are then passed through a series of electron carriers, creating a flow of energy that is eventually used to produce ATP and NADPH, which are essential for photosynthesis.

4. What is the difference between Photosystem I and Photosystem II?

The main difference between the two photosystems is the wavelength of light they absorb. Photosystem I absorbs longer-wavelength light, while Photosystem II absorbs shorter-wavelength light. Additionally, Photosystem II is responsible for splitting water molecules and producing oxygen as a byproduct.

5. Why are photosystems important?

Photosystems are crucial for the process of photosynthesis, which is the main source of energy for all living organisms on Earth. They allow plants to convert light energy into chemical energy, which is then used to produce glucose and oxygen. This process is essential for the survival of plants and the maintenance of the Earth's ecosystem.

Back