Can you Explain this SVD Application?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) in analyzing data sets, specifically in the field of geology. The document being referenced is about applying SVD to ocean ridges and the author constructs a matrix of size 179x80 to input into SVD. The conversation also touches on the challenges of applying SVD to data sets with different resolutions and how to handle this issue. Finally, the conversation mentions the use of SVD in spectral reflectance analysis, but raises questions about how to form the matrix when data sets have different resolutions and coverage ranges.
ecastro
Here is the website:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/applied/e3101/SVD_applications.pdf

I need help on understanding the second part of the document, page 13 onwards. On page 15, it showed 3 data sets, relative elevation as a function of kilometers across axis, however at page 16, the author constructed a matrix ##A## which is ##179 \times 80##. This is where I get lost. How did it come up with such a matrix of such size? Is the 80 here the number of x-axis points on the data set (assuming each point has a frequency of 1 kilometers across axis)? How about the 179? I'm supposed to do something similar, but instead of ocean ridges I need to apply it with spectral reflectances.

I have a basic understanding of what is Singular Value Decomposition (SVD), but I am not completely familiar with it. For example, I do not know how to acquire the eigenvalues acquired from SVD, since I will most likely be using the Matlab built-in function to calculate the SVD of a matrix.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the spreading rate? Looks like there are 179 profiles. The 179x80 is the input to SVD, and SVD does not care (much) about where the input comes from.

So, you mean there are a total of 179 data sets, and the three data sets shown on page 15 are three of them? If so, I wonder if it's possible to apply the SVD if the y-axis (the spreading rate) is non-numerical; if I were to consider the plot as three dimensional, i.e. the x-axis is kilometers per axis, y-axis is the spreading rate, and the z-axis is the relative elevation, then if I were to apply it with spectral reflectances, the x-axis is the wavelength, y-axis is the sample number (or ID), and the z-axis is the reflectance?

ecastro said:
So, you mean there are a total of 179 data sets, and the three data sets shown on page 15 are three of them?
That's how I would interpret that, but I'm not a geology expert.

If your samples are all the same, SVD should work very well. If your samples are different in some smooth way, SVD should work as well. If your samples are expected to be completely different, SVD could be ... interesting (but still working if there is some pattern behind them).

Thank you. But I have another question: what if my data sets have different resolutions, i.e. I have a data set which has 100 data points, another one has 50 data points, etc., how will I form my matrix for the SVD?

Hmm.. challenging. Does the data span the same range? If yes, some interpolation might work. You'll get wrong results for some eigenvalues related to short-distance fluctuations (because you don't reproduce them properly), but those could be small.

Unfortunately, they don't span the same range. What I did was I reconstructed the data by taking a constant interval and taking the average of the points within the interval, if there is no data within the interval, I consider the value to be zero. What are the consequences for this?

I don't think that will work well.
How does your data coverage look like?

I only considered the range of visible (blue to red) and near infrared for my application. Most of my data share the same range, there are some, however, that starts around the red region of the electromagnetic spectrum and some don't have the same resolution as the other data.

1. What is SVD and why is it important?

SVD stands for Singular Value Decomposition, and it is a mathematical technique used to decompose a matrix into three separate matrices. It is important because it allows us to represent complex data in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is SVD used in data analysis?

SVD has many applications in data analysis, such as data compression, dimensionality reduction, and image processing. It is also used in machine learning algorithms, recommendation systems, and text mining.

3. Can you give an example of a real-world application of SVD?

One example of a real-world application of SVD is in image compression. By using SVD, we can decompose an image into its singular values and create a compressed version of the image with minimal loss of quality. This allows for faster transmission and storage of images.

4. How is SVD different from other matrix decomposition methods?

SVD is unique in that it can be applied to any type of matrix, including rectangular and sparse matrices. It also provides the most concise representation of a matrix, making it useful for data compression and dimensionality reduction. Other matrix decomposition methods, such as LU and QR decomposition, have more specific applications and are not as versatile as SVD.

5. Is SVD a linear or non-linear method?

SVD is a linear method, meaning that the resulting matrices are linear combinations of the original data. This is different from non-linear methods, which transform the data into a different space before performing the decomposition. Linear methods like SVD are often simpler and easier to interpret, but may not capture complex relationships in the data as well as non-linear methods.