Can You Solve These Trigonometric Identity Problems?

In summary: So (sec x- cos x)/tan x= sin x is true.In summary, we discussed trigonometric identities and how to approach solving problems involving them. We also provided step-by-step solutions to the given problems, emphasizing the importance of converting everything to sine and cosine. We also mentioned the Pythagorean Theorem and basic definitions of sine and cosine that can be used to prove identities.
Johnny Neutron
Trig Identities question for test tomorrow Help!

Need some help with these two problems:

Thanks in advance if you could answer them:

sin (X) / Cos (x) - 1 = show work

Sec ^2/ cot (x) - Tan ^3x = Tan X

show work to prove

last one

Sec x - Cos x/tanx = sinx

show work to prove

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Johnny Neutron said:
sin (X) / Cos (x) - 1 = show work
What?
Sec ^2/ cot (x) - Tan ^3x = Tan X
[tex]\frac{\sec ^2 x}{\cot x} - \tan ^3 x = \tan x[/tex]

Note, [itex]\cot x[/itex] must not be zero. Now, multiply by [itex]\cot x[/itex]:

[tex]\sec ^2 x - \tan ^2 x = 1 \ \dots \ (1)[/tex]

Note, if [itex]\cot x[/itex] were zero, then [itex]\cos x[/itex] would have to be zero (since [itex]\cot x = \frac{\cos x}{\sin x}[/itex]), but since it's not, then [itex]\cos x \neq 0[/itex]. So, we can multiply both sides by [itex]\cos ^2 x[/itex]:

[tex]1 - \sin ^2 x = \cos ^2 x[/tex]

[tex]\sin ^2 x + cos ^2 x = 1[/tex]

This is a basic identity you should know. In fact (1) is a commonly used identity too, but I figured I'd get you down at least this far. I assume you won't have to prove this. If you do, then you know that [itex]\sin x[/itex] is the ratio of the side opposite the angle x in a right triangle to the hypoteneuse. You should also know the definition for [itex]\cos x[/itex]. With these two definitions and the Pythagorean Theorem, you should be able to prove those two identities.

Sec x - Cos x/tanx = sinx

As a general approach to any of these kinds of problems, express everything in terms of sine and cosine. Mutiplying both sides by [itex]\sin x \cos x[/itex]:

[tex]\sin x - \cos ^3 x = \sin ^2 x \cos x[/tex]

[tex]\sin x = \cos x(\cos ^2 x + \sin ^2 x)[/tex]

[tex]\sin x = \cos x[/tex]

This is wrong. Try x = 32 degrees. It doesn't work. I guess it's a trick question or you mistyped (or I made a mistake).

Yea I'm almost positive that last one doesn't work. If you make that tanx, sinx/cosx you are left with secx = 2sinx, which is not true.

But (sec x- cos x)/tan x= sin x is true.

As AKG suggested change everything to sin and cos:

(1/cos x- cos x)/(sin x/cos x)

= ((1- cos<sup>2</sup> x)/cos x)(cos x/sin x)
= (sin<sup>2</sup> x/cos x)(cos x/sin x)
= sin x

Related to Can You Solve These Trigonometric Identity Problems?

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify and manipulate expressions involving trigonometric functions.

2. How do I memorize trigonometric identities?

The best way to memorize trigonometric identities is through practice. Start by memorizing the basic identities, and then use them to derive other identities. Also, try to understand the relationships between the different identities rather than just memorizing them.

3. What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved, while a trigonometric equation is an equation that is true for specific values of the variables. Trigonometric identities are used to simplify and manipulate expressions, while trigonometric equations are used to solve for specific values.

4. How can I apply trigonometric identities in real-life situations?

Trigonometric identities have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, as well as to model and analyze periodic phenomena.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric identities?

One common mistake is to confuse the different identities and use the wrong one in a given situation. Another mistake is to forget to apply the identities in the correct order, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully check the steps and reasoning when using trigonometric identities to avoid mistakes.