Cannot understand what ##(mod ~ \pi)## means in the given formula

In summary: Actually, using ##\mathbb Z## would have probably been better since some (many?) people do not include 0 in ##\mathbb N##.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
What is the meaning of ##(mod ~ \pi)## in the formula given below? This formula is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions
Relevant Equations
None
Inverse Trig Functions formula.png

My understanding is that it probably means either ##+ \pi## or ## - \pi##, so that ##\pi## is either added to or subtracted from the first term, just like ##|x| = \pm x##.

Physics news on Phys.org
vcsharp2003 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the meaning of ##(mod ~ \pi)## in the formula given below? This formula is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions
Relevant Equations:: None

View attachment 324323

My understanding is that it probably means either ##+ \pi## or ## - \pi##, so that ##\pi## is either added to or subtracted from the first term, just like ##|x| = \pm x##.
Look at the pictures here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkusfunktion

##x \longmapsto \operatorname{arctan}(x)## is not only possible on its main branch between ##\pm\dfrac{\pi}{2}## but also below and above. We have ##\tan\left(\alpha + \dfrac{\pi}{2}\mathbb{Z}\right)=x,## i.e. infinitely many values of the tangent function map to the same function value. The inverse "function" can therefore be defined on any interval ##\operatorname{arctan}(x) \in \left[n\dfrac{\pi}{2},(n+1)\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right]## for some ##n\in \mathbb{Z}.##

fresh_42 said:
Look at the pictures here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkusfunktion

##x \longmapsto \operatorname{arctan}(x)## is not only possible on its main branch between ##\pm\dfrac{\pi}{2}## but also below and above. We have ##\tan\left(\alpha + \dfrac{\pi}{2}\mathbb{Z}\right)=x,## i.e. infinitely many values of the tangent function map to the same function value. The inverse "function" can therefore be defined on any interval ##\operatorname{arctan}(x) \in \left[n\dfrac{\pi}{2},(n+1)\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right]## for some ##n\in \mathbb{Z}.##
Does this mean that we are adding an integer multiple of ##\pi## to the first term in the formula mentioned in question where an integer could be any positive or negative integer including 0?

vcsharp2003 said:
Does this mean that we are adding an integer multiple of ##\pi## to the first term in the formula mentioned in question where an integer could be any positive or negative integer including 0?
The inverse tangent function has only unique function values in an interval of length ##\pi##, usually, ##\left(-\dfrac{\pi}{2}\, , \,\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right).## Since ##\tan\left(\alpha+ \pi\mathbb{Z}\right)## is the same real number, we cannot uniquely determine one number as its inverse. We first have to determine in which interval our angles are. E.g. ##\operatorname{arctan} (\pi / 3)\approx 0.81.## Therefore
\begin{align*}
\operatorname{arctan}(\pi/3)+\operatorname{arctan}(\pi/3)&\approx 1.62 \\
&=\operatorname{arctan}\left(\dfrac{\dfrac{2\pi}{3}}{1-\dfrac{\pi^2}{9}}\right)\\
&=\operatorname{arctan}\left(\dfrac{6\pi}{9-\pi^2}\right)\\
&\approx \operatorname{arctan}(-21.676)\\
&\approx -1.5247
\end{align*}
which is obviously wrong. However, ##-1.5247 + \pi \approx 1.617## which is pretty close to ##1.62## if we consider all the approximations I made. So ##\mod \pi## means that the left- and right-hand side of our formulas can differ by ##\pm \pi.##

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the meaning of ##(mod ~ \pi)## in the formula given below? This formula is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions
Relevant Equations:: None

View attachment 324323

In general, (mod ##\pi##) means ##\pm n \pi## for some ##n \in \mathbb N##.
UPDATE: I probably should have said ##+ i \pi## for some integer ##i \in \mathbb Z## since some (many?) people do not include 0 in ##\mathbb N## and I need to include 0.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003
FactChecker said:
In general, (mod ##\pi##) means ##\pm n \pi## for some ##n \in \mathbb N##.
Shouldn't ##n \in \mathbb Z##? Oh, I get it since you used a plus minus before ##n##.

Likes fresh_42
vcsharp2003 said:
Shouldn't ##n \in \mathbb Z##?
Yes, but the ##\pm## does that.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
Shouldn't ##n \in \mathbb Z##? Oh, I get it since you used a plus minus before ##n##.
Actually, using ##\mathbb Z## would have probably been better since some (many?) people do not include 0 in ##\mathbb N## and I do need to include 0.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003

1. What does the notation "mod" mean in mathematics?

The notation "mod" stands for "modulo" and is used to indicate the remainder after dividing one number by another. For example, 10 mod 3 would be 1, as 10 divided by 3 has a remainder of 1.

2. How is the notation "mod" used in the given formula?

In the given formula, the notation "mod" is used to indicate that the result of the expression should be taken modulo pi. This means that the final answer should be the remainder after dividing by pi.

3. Why is the notation "mod" used in this way?

The notation "mod" is used in this way to simplify calculations and make them more manageable. It allows for the expression to be reduced to a smaller range of values, making it easier to work with.

4. Can you give an example of how to use "mod" in a mathematical expression?

Sure, an example of using "mod" in a mathematical expression would be 15 mod 4. This would result in a remainder of 3, as 15 divided by 4 has a remainder of 3.

5. How does the use of "mod" affect the interpretation of the given formula?

The use of "mod" in the given formula means that the final result will be a value between 0 and pi, as the result is taken modulo pi. This can change the overall interpretation of the formula and may lead to different outcomes compared to not using the "mod" notation.