Can't understand/solve Taylor exercises.

In summary: I finally understood how this works! :')In summary, the given information includes that the function f is in the set of continuous functions of order 3 on the set of real numbers, the function f(x) is equal to 5 - 2(x+2) - x(x+2)^2 + (x+2)^3 + R3(x+2), and the limit as x approaches -2 of R3(x+2)/(x+2)^3 is equal to 0. The task is to find the equation of the tangent line, which would be simple if R3 was not present. However, we can use the Taylor series expansion to compare the given function to the general formula for the Taylor expansion of f(x
Velo
So, the information they give me is the following:
$(1) f \in {C}^{3}({\rm I\!R})$
$(2) f(x) = 5 -2(x+2) - (x+2)^2 + (x+2)^3 + R3(x+2)$
$(3) \lim_{{x}\to{-2}} \frac{R3(x+2)}{(x+2)^3}=0$

And they ask me for the equation of the tangent line... Which would be simple if that R3 wasn't there, I'd just derive the function, use it on the tangent line equation and that'd be that... I have no idea how the derive that function with the R3 there tho.

Edit: Typo in the exercise.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velo said:
So, the information they give me is the following:
$(1) f \in {C}^{3}({\rm I\!R})$
$(2) f(x) = 5 -2(x+2) - x(x+2)^2 + (x+2)^3 + R3(x+2)$
$(3) \lim_{{x}\to{-2}} \frac{R3(x+2)}{(x+2)^3}=0$

And they ask me for the equation of the tangent line... Which would be simple if that R3 wasn't there, I'd just derive the function, use it on the tangent line equation and that'd be that... I have no idea how the derive that function with the R3 there tho.

Hi Velo!

We can write the derivative of R3(x+2) at x=-2 as:
$$R3'(x+2) = R3'(0)= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{R3(h) - R3(0)}{h}$$
Can we find what it is using equation (3)?
How do the expressions compare?
Which is bigger for $|h|<1$?

Oh, I'm just realizing that this is a Taylor series exercise and that R3 is the remainder term for the 3rd order expansion.

What is the general formula for the Taylor expansion of f(x) at x=-2?
Can we compare it to the given f(x)?
We should be able to read off f(-2) directly.

I like Serena said:
Oh, I'm just realizing that this is a Taylor series exercise and that R3 is the remainder term for the 3rd order expansion.

What is the general formula for the Taylor expansion of f(x) at x=-2?
Can we compare it to the given f(x)?
We should be able to read off f(-2) directly.

I'm not sure I'm following... I know a Taylor expansion should look something like this when we're trying to get a function similar to another function on $x = -2$:
$f(-2) + f'(-2)(x+2) + \frac{f''(-2)}{2}(x+2)^2 + o(x+2)^2$
I also get that this new function will be very close to the original function next to $x = 2$, though I don't get what part that $o(x+2)^2$ plays on it exactly...

The f(x) they give us looks very similar to that formula... It's missing the derivatives though, I can't really tell how to relate the two :/

Velo said:
I'm not sure I'm following... I know a Taylor expansion should look something like this when we're trying to get a function similar to another function on $x = -2$:
$f(-2) + f'(-2)(x+2) + \frac{f''(-2)}{2}(x+2)^2 + o(x+2)^2$
I also get that this new function will be very close to the original function next to $x = 2$, though I don't get what part that $o(x+2)^2$ plays on it exactly...

The f(x) they give us looks very similar to that formula... It's missing the derivatives though, I can't really tell how to relate the two :/

Indeed.
Normally we expand by evaluating f(-2), f'(-2), and so on giving constants to multiply $(x+2)^k$ with.
But this has already been done.
We can directly match them.
In other words f'(-2) is the constant that gets multiplied by (x+2).
And that's the slope we need for the tangent line.

The notation $O((x+2)^2)$ means that the remainder is less than a constant times $(x+2)^2$.
Note that $(x+2)^k$ is an increasingly small number for higher powers when x is close to -2.

I like Serena said:
Indeed.
Normally we expand by evaluating f(-2), f'(-2), and so on giving constants to multiply $(x+2)^k$ with.
But this has already been done.
We can directly match them.
In other words, f'(-2) is the constant that gets multiplied by (x+2).
And that's the slope we need for the tangent line.

The notation $O((x+2)^2)$ means that the remainder is less than constant times $(x+2)^2$.
Note that $(x+2)^k$ is an increasingly small number for higher powers when x is close to -2.

OOOhhhhh! I see! So,
$f'(-2) = -2 \implies y = -2x + b$,

From the original f(x) we also know that $f(-2) = 5$ so we can just replace that int he equations and get b!
$y = -2x + b \implies 5 = (-2) * (-2) + b \Leftrightarrow b = 1$

And so the final equation is:
$y = -2x + 1$

So if we wanted to find out for example f'''(-2) we'd just have to do:
$\frac{f'''(-2)}{!3} = 1 \Leftrightarrow f'''(-2) = \frac{1}{6}$

Thank you so much, can't believe I finally understood how this works! :')

Velo said:
OOOhhhhh! I see! So,
$f'(-2) = -2 \implies y = -2x + b$,

From the original f(x) we also know that $f(-2) = 5$ so we can just replace that int he equations and get b!
$y = -2x + b \implies 5 = (-2) * (-2) + b \Leftrightarrow b = 1$

And so the final equation is:
$y = -2x + 1$

So if we wanted to find out for example f'''(-2) we'd just have to do:
$\frac{f'''(-2)}{!3} = 1 \Leftrightarrow f'''(-2) = \frac{1}{6}$

Thank you so much, can't believe I finally understood how this works! :')

Yep. (Nod)

But let's make it $\frac{f'''(-2)}{!3} = 1 \Leftrightarrow f'''(-2) = 6$. (Wink)

One more thing, we can read the tangent equation also directly from the expansion: it's the expansion up to the first order.
That is:
$$y=f(-2)+f'(-2)(x+2)=5-2(x+2)=-2x+1$$

Classic :')

1. How do I approach solving Taylor exercises?

The best way to approach solving Taylor exercises is to first understand the concept of Taylor series and how it relates to the given problem. Then, carefully follow the steps of the Taylor series formula to expand the function and find the coefficients. Finally, use the given information or conditions to determine the final form of the Taylor series.

2. What should I do if I can't understand a particular step in a Taylor exercise?

If you are stuck on a particular step in a Taylor exercise, try breaking it down into smaller, simpler steps and work through them one at a time. You can also consult your textbook or notes for similar examples, or seek help from a classmate, tutor, or instructor for clarification.

3. How do I know if I have correctly solved a Taylor exercise?

The best way to check if you have correctly solved a Taylor exercise is to substitute the values of the coefficients and the given variable into your final Taylor series and compare it to the original function. If they match, then your solution is correct.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer software to solve Taylor exercises?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer software to solve Taylor exercises. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concept and steps involved in solving Taylor series manually before relying on technology.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving Taylor exercises more efficiently?

One tip for solving Taylor exercises more efficiently is to work with general terms instead of specific numbers until the final step. This allows you to simplify the calculation and avoid making mistakes with large numbers. Also, practice regularly and seek help when needed to improve your understanding and speed in solving Taylor exercises.