Capacitors connected to batteries

In summary, current is always in one direction in a simple circuit, and you can solve Kirchhoff's equation to find the voltage.
davidbenari
I want to know if my understanding is OK.

If a capacitor is connected to a battery, the voltage across the capacitor will equal the battery's voltage, but this doesn't mean the capacitance is changing. The capacitance is a function of the capacitor alone (ignoring dielectrics). Right?

If I have a capacitor connected to a battery and I double the distance between the plates then the energy will be halved, right? Even though the voltage has to equal the battery's.

If I have a simple square circuit. And my capacitor comes first before my resistor (with respect to the positive plate on the battery), this shouldn't worry me, because the order wouldn't matter, right? Like, current is still in one direction only? And I could solve kirchhoffs differential equation to find how my capacitor charges up?

Like ##q=C\varepsilon-C\varepsilon e^{-t/RC}## ?

And if I wanted to find the voltage across my capacitor as a function of ##t## I could divide that equation by ##C## right?

Like: ##V=\varepsilon-\varepsilon e^{-t/RC}##

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't looked carefully at your equations, but you're right on the theory so if you've solved the differential equation properly you're in good shape.

davidbenari said:
If a capacitor is connected to a battery, the voltage across the capacitor will equal the battery's voltage, but this doesn't mean the capacitance is changing. The capacitance is a function of the capacitor alone (ignoring dielectrics). Right?

That's right. Capacitance is independent of voltage.

davidbenari said:
If I have a simple square circuit. And my capacitor comes first before my resistor (with respect to the positive plate on the battery), this shouldn't worry me, because the order wouldn't matter, right? Like, current is still in one direction only? And I could solve kirchhoffs differential equation to find how my capacitor charges up?

That's also correct. The order of the components don't matter here.

I just came up with a new conceptual problem right now. The thing is I got a negative current when solving Kirchoff's voltage law, but it makes sense in this case as I just have to invert the direction of the current.

My problem is this:

I can start anywhere in my circuit to find currents on loops and build my system of equations from there on so long as I'm consistent with my directions right? And at the end I'll just have to interpret the negative/plus signs? right?

Thanks.

Correct. A very important first step is to add arrows to your circuit diagram to define what you mean by +ve current and voltage. It doesn't matter if you are "wrong". As you said, it just means you may get a few -ve answers which you have to interpret.

If you get some -ve values it might be tempting to go and change the arrows on your circuit diagram BUT that would be a mistake as it would make your previous working out wrong and could confuse an examiner.

Likes davidbenari

1. How do capacitors work when connected to batteries?

When a capacitor is connected to a battery, it stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between its two plates. One plate accumulates positive charge while the other accumulates negative charge, creating a potential difference between them. This process is known as charging the capacitor.

2. What is the purpose of connecting capacitors to batteries?

The purpose of connecting capacitors to batteries is to store electrical energy for later use. Capacitors are able to discharge this energy quickly, making them useful for devices that require short bursts of power, such as camera flashes or electronic ignition systems in cars.

3. Can capacitors damage batteries when connected together?

No, capacitors do not damage batteries when connected together. However, it is important to choose capacitors with appropriate voltage and capacitance ratings to ensure they can handle the amount of energy being stored and discharged.

4. How do capacitors affect the overall circuit when connected to batteries?

Capacitors in a circuit act as temporary energy storage devices, smoothing out fluctuations in voltage and providing additional energy when needed. When connected to batteries, they can help regulate the flow of electricity and improve the efficiency of the circuit.

5. Is it possible to overcharge a capacitor when connected to a battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge a capacitor when connected to a battery. If the voltage applied to the capacitor exceeds its maximum rating, it can lead to damage or failure. It is important to monitor the charging process and use appropriate safeguards, such as a voltage regulator, to prevent overcharging.