Capacity Planning problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter practicalmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacity
In summary, the business consultant is unable to calculate the training capacity for its training centers, and is seeking help from others.
practicalmath
Hi All,

Thanks MHB, for allowing me to introduce myelf and my problem.

I'm a business consultant and mainly work on HR related projects. I'm definitely not a math guy, but my work involves creating simple simulations on excel from time to time. I am presently working on an assignment wherein I'm supposed to develop a model for Capacity Planning for Training Centers of a Training Outfit and must admit that I'm pretty lost right now.

Could someone please help me out? Here is the problem:

My Client needs me to develop a model for setting trainee sourcing targets for it's individual Training Centers.

Problem Statement: I'm unable to calculate Training Capacity of Training Centers, and thus not able to devise the formula for target setting.

My Client expects a demand of training 5000 people per year.

They have 4 Training Centers. Each Training Center has 4 Classrooms. Each Classroom can seat 20 trainees.

Client intends to run 6 different courses for different type of audience.

Duration of the 6 courses are as follows:

Course A - 2 weeks
Course B - 4 weeks
Course C - 6 weeks
Course D - 8 weeks
Course E - 10 weeks
Course F - 12 weeks

A batch can accommodate maximum 20 trainees and 1 training day is 8 hours.

Training Centers are expected to pay equal attention to all courses and source/produce same number of trainees for each course in the year.

Now if it turns out that such infrastructure is incapable of meeting the demand, and let's say produces only x% of demand, then Client will increase Capacity by adding more classrooms. So it is not necessary to fit 5000 into the given means, but it is important to be able to tell the maximum output per month or per quarter for each of the training center, considering all other conditions as being constant. That's it. Please help. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How are the 5000 allocated into the 6 different courses?

What is capacity planning?

Capacity planning is the process of determining the resources and capabilities required to meet current and future demand for a particular product or service. It involves forecasting demand, evaluating available resources, and making strategic decisions to optimize utilization and productivity.

Why is capacity planning important?

Effective capacity planning is crucial for ensuring that a business can meet customer demand without incurring excessive costs or delays. It also allows for better resource allocation, improved efficiency, and the ability to adapt to changing market conditions.

What are the key factors to consider in capacity planning?

There are several factors that should be taken into account in capacity planning, including current and projected demand, available resources, production processes, potential bottlenecks, and growth potential. It is also important to consider external factors such as market trends, competition, and regulatory requirements.

What are the different approaches to capacity planning?

There are several approaches to capacity planning, including lead strategy, lag strategy, match strategy, and incremental strategy. Lead strategy involves increasing capacity in anticipation of future demand, while lag strategy involves increasing capacity only after demand has already increased. Match strategy involves adjusting capacity in line with changes in demand, and incremental strategy involves gradually increasing capacity as needed.

How can technology aid in capacity planning?

Technology can play a significant role in capacity planning by providing data analysis and forecasting tools, process automation, and real-time monitoring of resources and demand. This can help businesses make more accurate predictions and streamline their production processes to optimize capacity utilization.