Car Acceleration - Torque Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between torque and slippage in a car. It is explained that in order for a wheel to maintain a constant speed without slipping, the torque at the axle must be equal to the torque caused by static friction at the point of contact with the road. However, when a torque is applied to the axle, the car will actually speed up due to an increase in angular velocity. This is due to the fact that there is nothing constraining the two torques to be equal, and in the case of acceleration, they are not. The force of static friction is determined by the no slip condition, and it prevents the wheel from slipping with the road. There is some confusion over the use of maximum torque
Electric to be
I am confused about a topic regarding torque and slippage.

I have been led to believe that for a car initially traveling at some constant speed: the torque at the axle of a wheel will be equal to the torque caused by static friction at the point of contact of the wheel. This is true so that the wheel doesn't angularly accelerate and so the point of contact does not slip with the road.

Now that's all well and good. However, before the axle provided a torque, the car was traveling at a speed v = w/r, which satisfied the no slip condition. However, afterwards the static friction force applied at the wheel speeds the car up (while maintaining angular velocity w). Now v is larger than the initial w/r, so the car must slip, right?

So didn't this initial process that was meant to stop the car from slipping, cause it to anyway?I'm somewhat confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric to be said:
(while maintaining angular velocity w).
This is the part that is getting you mixed up. The angular velocity increases as the car speeds up.

When a wheel rolls with constant velocity and without slipping on horizontal plane then the friction force from the ground is equal to zero.

Dale said:
This is the part that is getting you mixed up. The angular velocity increases as the car speeds up.

Thanks for the response. I guess I don't get that. When I apply a torque at the axle, the static friction force is constrained to provide a torque (ideally) equal to that at the axle. So how does the angular velocity increase? Is this due to kinetic friction after the car slightly speeds up?

wrobel said:
When a wheel rolls with constant velocity and without slipping on horizontal plane then the friction force from the ground is equal to zero.

Thanks to you too. However, I'm referring to the situation where a torque is applied to the axle, and not simply free rolling.

Electric to be said:
When I apply a torque at the axle, the static friction force is constrained to provide a torque (ideally) equal to that at the axle.
it is not equal

wrobel said:
it is not equal

Well why not. Doesn't the static friction apply a torque such that the the wheel doesn't rotationaly accelerate and therefore slip along the road? Doesn't this mean they have to be equal?

I think that you should decide which statement of the problem you consider: with slipping or without slipping. And then to write equations of motion just for the wheel

Electric to be said:
When I apply a torque at the axle, the static friction force is constrained to provide a torque (ideally) equal to that at the axle.
This is not generally true. There is nothing constraining those two torques to be equal. If they happen to be equal then the wheel will not be undergoing angular acceleration. Conversely, if the wheel is not undergoing angular acceleration then those two torques will be equal. But there is nothing constraining them to be equal and in the accelerating case they are not equal.

Electric to be said:
Is this due to kinetic friction after the car slightly speeds up?
In normal operation the friction is always static friction.

Dale said:
This is not generally true. There is nothing constraining those two torques to be equal. If they happen to be equal then the wheel will not be undergoing angular acceleration. Conversely, if the wheel is not undergoing angular acceleration then those two torques will be equal. But there is nothing constraining them to be equal and in the accelerating case they are not equal.

Well I suppose a better question would be: what decides what the force of static friction will be? I understand there is a maximum static friction, but how is it that when I accelerate my car the force of static friction and the unbalanced torque that creates an angular acceleration works out perfectly so that the velocity of the car matches the no slip condition of v = wr. (Since I notice I don't start slipping whenever I accelerate while driving)

I think I may have actually answered my own question. Is this explanation reasonable? When the car provides a torque at the wheel, to prevent the bottom of the wheel from slipping with the road, static friction provides a force, and therefore a linear acceleration that prevents this from happening. As a result the no slip condition continues to be met v = wr (and upon differentiating a = r (alpha) ). Correct?

I think my confusion stemmed from my robotics class last semester. For some reason we were told to find a maximum acceleration of robots by diving the maximum torque delivered to the axle from a motor by the radius to find the force of friction. This would mean the torque's were equal at the wheel and the axle, which as you said and I realize now to not be true. Any idea why they would have had us do this?

Electric to be said:
what decides what the force of static friction will be?
The constraint is the no slip condition. The force of static friction takes whatever value is necessary to prevent slipping.

Electric to be said:
to prevent the bottom of the wheel from slipping with the road, static friction provides a force,
Yes, this is correct.
Electric to be said:
I think my confusion stemmed from my robotics class last semester. For some reason we were told to find a maximum acceleration of robots by diving the maximum torque delivered to the axle from a motor by the radius to find the force of friction. This would mean the torque's were equal at the wheel and the axle, which as you said and I realize now to not be true. Any idea why they would have had us do this?
I don't know, it doesn't sound right to me either. I would have to work that out to see, but it would seem that the highest acceleration would be when there is no friction. Or do they mean linear acceleration rather than angular acceleration?

Let us write the equations
4047b086a529.png

We have a wheel of radius ##r## and ##S## stands for its center; ## M## is the torque applied to the axle; ##F## is a friction force, ##F\le F^*##
First assume that there is no slipping (##F<F^*##), then the equations of motion are
##J\epsilon=-M+rF,\quad ma=F,\quad a=-\epsilon r.##
Here ##\epsilon## is the angular acceleration; ##J## is the moment of inertia about ##S##; ##m## is the mass of the wheel; ##a## is the acceleration of the point ##S##.
From these equations we have
$$F=\frac{mrM}{J+mr^2}.$$ Thus the condition of non-slipping is $$\frac{mrM}{J+mr^2}<F^*.$$ If this condition is broken then we have equations for the case of slipping
##ma=F^*,\quad J\epsilon=-M+rF^*.##

1. What is car acceleration?

Car acceleration refers to the rate at which a car's velocity increases over time. In simpler terms, it is the ability of a car to go from a standstill or a certain speed to a higher speed in a specific amount of time.

2. What is torque balance in relation to car acceleration?

Torque balance is the equilibrium between the torque produced by the engine and the resistance forces acting on the car. In order for a car to accelerate, the engine must produce enough torque to overcome the resistance forces, such as air resistance and friction.

3. How does torque affect car acceleration?

Torque is directly related to a car's acceleration. The more torque an engine produces, the more force it can apply to the wheels, resulting in a higher rate of acceleration. This is why high-performance cars typically have higher torque values.

4. What factors can affect the torque balance in a car?

Some factors that can affect the torque balance in a car include the engine's power output, the car's weight and aerodynamics, the gear ratio of the transmission, and the type of tires and their grip on the road.

5. How can torque balance be optimized for better car acceleration?

In order to optimize torque balance for better car acceleration, you can make modifications such as increasing the engine's power output, reducing the car's weight, improving its aerodynamics, and using high-performance tires. Additionally, maintaining proper gear ratios and regularly servicing the car can also help improve torque balance and overall acceleration.