Career Advice for Living and Working in Switzerland

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on living and working in Switzerland after completing a Bachelor's degree in Physics with a specialty in research. They plan to pursue a Master's degree in Astronomy and Space Physics and a Master's degree in Particle Physics in order to apply for a PhD position in Theoretical Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics. They are also fluent in multiple languages and are considering applying for citizenship in Switzerland. The individual has had a positive experience in Switzerland and is confident in their career plans if they have good grades and skills in their field. They are also interested in potential job opportunities at CERN.
Wortgewandtheit
Hello, first post here, didn't know this existed until very recently.

I was going to ask if anyone could give me some advice regarding living and working in Switzerland.
I will be done with my Bachelor's in Physics (With a specialty in Research, this is a Swedish invention, but it amounts to getting an additional diploma that attests that you have a wider expertise in research than a regular student would) in little more than a year, the final year will be spent in Switzerland as part of an internship.

I have been to this wonderful country before and I find it absolutely lovely, so my idea is to eventually move to and work there. I am planning to get a Master's Degree in Astronomy and Space Physics and then a Master's Degree in Particle Physics in order to apply for a PhD position in Theoretical Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics. How viable is this?

And what does the job market for this type of field look like? I have tried googling my brains out but there's no conclusive answer.

Eventually I would also like to apply for a citizenship within Switzerland.

I am fluent in Swedish, English, German, French and Japanese, if this matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so familiar with your field of research, but I guess that CERN will be a good employer? I lived in Switzerland for a couple of months for my internship at the ETH in Zurich and I seriously considered doing my PhD there. I love the country and the people. If you are good at what you do, and this is also proven by your grades, you can certainly achieve your career plans. If you are a mediocre student, then it will be much, much harder to follow this career path.

What is the job market like in Switzerland?

The job market in Switzerland is highly competitive, but also offers a wide range of opportunities in various industries. The country has a strong economy and low unemployment rates, making it an attractive place to work. However, it is important to note that there is a preference for Swiss nationals or EU citizens for certain jobs.

What are the work culture and work-life balance like in Switzerland?

The work culture in Switzerland is known for its efficiency, punctuality, and professionalism. The Swiss value a healthy work-life balance and prioritize quality over quantity when it comes to work. Most companies have a 40-hour workweek, and employees are entitled to at least four weeks of paid vacation per year.

Do I need to know a certain language to work in Switzerland?

While Switzerland has four official languages (German, French, Italian, and Romansh), English is widely spoken in the business world. However, having a basic knowledge of one of the official languages can be beneficial, especially when it comes to interacting with colleagues and clients.

How do I find job opportunities in Switzerland?

There are several ways to find job opportunities in Switzerland. Online job portals, such as LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor, are popular options. Networking is also important in Switzerland, so attending job fairs and connecting with professionals in your field can also lead to potential job opportunities.

What are some important cultural differences to be aware of in the workplace?

The Swiss value punctuality, professionalism, and direct communication in the workplace. It is important to be on time for meetings and appointments and to dress in a conservative and neat manner. Additionally, the Swiss tend to keep their personal and professional lives separate, so it is important to maintain a level of formality in the workplace.