Career in finance/data analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a Master's degree in Complex Systems and their concern about the job market in finance for individuals with this type of education. The conversation also mentions the growing demand for data scientists in various industries and the existence of boot camps that provide training and job placement assistance in this field. The conversation also mentions a specific example of a physicist who transitioned into a data science role in retail. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that having a diverse set of skills and knowledge can be beneficial in the job market, particularly in the field of data science.
gmDevi
Hi guys!

I have a B.Sc. in physics in Italy and I'm about to choose my Master of science. I realized, while working on My B.Sc., that I don't really want to work in a lab, so I'm looking for other possibilities other than the usual theoretical/condensed matter/medical physics. A University in Italy offers a course in Complex Systems, and I'd be able to take courses in Micro/macro economics, Statistics, Dynamical Systems and other economics courses as well as do a lab in Numerical analysis. My question is: is the job market in finance ripe for people with these kind of skills in Europe (I specifically mentioned finance; however, if you can think of a field in which I could use the skills acquired please say so)? Would it be worth it to pursue this from a potential employment point of view?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Marco

Physics news on Phys.org
In a recent copy of the American Institute of Physics magazine PHYSICS TODAY is an article on physicists in data science noting that the demand for data scientists is booming across industries as retail, automotive, banking, health care as well as the non-profit and government sectors. The article states that data science is a marriage between statistics and computer science . Because this area is focused on specific types of problems there are what is know as boot camps springing up giving enrollee's instruction in combinations of coding, math/statistics and machine learning plus hands on experience and assistance with finding a job. Such boot camps can be free or cost up to 20,000 euros. Some of the camps are for individuals to current or prospective employee of companies.

There is a camp in London called S2DS, one in Berlin called Data Science Retreat, one in New York called Data Science Academy and one in Brussels called di-academy. to name a few. As an example it gives an Italian Ph.D. in physicist from Sapienza Unversity in Rome who had worked on applying mathematical theories from complex systems to linguistics. She did a lot of data mining and numerical modeling but needed to improve her machine learning. She now works in retail.where some of her projects use probability of words appearing together and applies machine learning to train an algorithm to recognize a product..

About a third of people in these boot camps have doctorates and about half masters with some bachelors. In the US the jobs for data scientists have increase 6 fold since 2012.

On a personal note I think it is of value to know as much about the area you wish to work in as possible. although it is not strictly necessary.

Likes gmDevi

1. What is the difference between finance and data analysis?

Finance is the study of how individuals, businesses, and organizations manage and invest money. Data analysis, on the other hand, is the process of collecting, organizing, and interpreting data to make informed decisions or predictions. While finance involves working with financial data, data analysis involves working with any type of data.

2. What skills are needed for a career in finance or data analysis?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in finance or data analysis include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematical and statistical analysis, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex data sets. Additionally, knowledge of financial principles and software programs used for data analysis are also important.

3. What are some common job roles in finance and data analysis?

In finance, common job roles include financial analyst, investment banker, financial manager, and accountant. In data analysis, common job roles include data analyst, business analyst, data scientist, and market researcher. However, there is often overlap between these two fields, and some job roles may involve both finance and data analysis skills.

4. Is a degree in finance or data analysis necessary for a career in these fields?

While a degree in finance or data analysis can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many professionals in these fields have degrees in related fields such as economics, mathematics, or computer science. However, having a degree in finance or data analysis can provide a strong foundation in the specific skills and knowledge needed for these careers.

5. What is the job outlook for careers in finance and data analysis?

The job outlook for careers in finance and data analysis is generally positive, with a growing demand for professionals with these skills. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 5% growth in employment for financial analysts and a 14% growth in employment for operations research analysts (which includes data analysts) from 2019-2029. However, job competition may be strong, so it is important to continue developing skills and staying up-to-date with industry trends.