Career path forward for a physics autodidact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's passion for physics and their current career in software development. They mention their interest in clean energy and ask for advice on the best path forward. The responder suggests getting a good score on the Physics GRE and leveraging computer engineering experience to work in a physics-related field. They also suggest exploring opportunities in industries such as LEDs, computer chips, and quantum computing. The conversation ends with the speaker considering studying physics outside of work for personal enjoyment.
Kevin Chieppo
Hi, everybody. I did an undergrad in computer engineering, and am currently happily in a software development position, but I've always had a passion for physics and could see myself loving being in a position where I'm working in clean energy. I've spent lots of free time learning about and brushing up on different areas in physics like quantum mechanics, special, and general relativity, and their mathematical foundations. I was thinking that quantum in particular would be great to know for solar and nuclear energy jobs.

Given your experience, what do you think would be the best path forward for me? I wouldn't be excited about incurring more school debt, and this is partially what drove me to pursue these subjects on my own time, but unfortunately it seems to be the case that official schooling is what best attracts companies.

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Few are likely to believe you are decent at physics without a degree in at or some kind of other independent verification.

Getting a good score on the Physics GRE would probably convince a lot more people than your own recounting of what you studied and how hard you worked at it. Of course, without a lot of undergraduate coursework in Physics, good Physics GRE scores are few and far between.

Other details about possible paths forward depend heavily on geographical and other constraints as well as the details of your existing undergrad degree and how you might leverage your computer engineering experience to get your foot in the door of a more physics-oriented job. A 3.8 GPA from a top 50 school and lots of number crunching might open doors that a 2.8 GPA from Backwater U and web design or system administration experience will not.

Likes gleem and hutchphd
Thank you for your truthful, albeit a bit discouraging, response. I may just study outside of work a little bit each day for my own enjoyment for the time being, as I think my main focus right now needs to be making money and paying off extant student loans. Down the road, if I feel ready for the Physics GRE, I think I'll give it a shot.

Likes PeroK
I would presume that nuclear has demand for computer engineers to design control systems and such (I don't know a whole lot about computer engineering, sorry), so maybe you could get into the stuff you want tangentially and then learn the physics you want from the other people working there. That could scratch the itch for you, perhaps.

Likes Timo and russ_watters
I think your best is to get into a physicsy field as a programmer or a computer engineer, rather than as a physicist. All areas of physics research require computer programming, and a lot of bigger operations (startup companies, national labs, research collaborations, etc) tend to hire computer people externally while having the fundamental physics aspect stay in the academic setting. So I think you'll have better luck getting hired as a computer person, and then using your knowledge of physics to thrive and move internally, rather than trying to get in as a physics person.

You've mentioned solar, and there are other areas of semiconductor physics that you can get involved in, like LEDs (which are just reverse solar panels, essentially) and the computer chip or hard drive industries. Quantum computing has recently entered the private sector and most of the physics-related jobs require PhDs, but the computer engineering side of things doesn't. Nuclear power, while requiring quantum mechanics to understand at the atomic level, doesn't really draw much upon it in the day to day, although again there is need for computer engineers.

Just to give you a sense of what I mean, a job at Argonne National Lab for a software developer and a job at D-Wave quantum computing. This isn't even getting into solar or other more mature industries.

I guess back to your original question, if you want to convince physicists that a computerino is good at physics, perhaps you can try the Kaggle Particle Physics challenge.

Likes Locrian and russ_watters
Marisa5 said:
I would presume that nuclear has demand for computer engineers to design control systems and such (I don't know a whole lot about computer engineering, sorry), so maybe you could get into the stuff you want tangentially and then learn the physics you want from the other people working there. That could scratch the itch for you, perhaps.
Thank you for the response, Marisa. This is another possibility I was considering.

klotza said:
I think your best is to get into a physicsy field as a programmer or a computer engineer, rather than as a physicist. All areas of physics research require computer programming, and a lot of bigger operations (startup companies, national labs, research collaborations, etc) tend to hire computer people externally while having the fundamental physics aspect stay in the academic setting. So I think you'll have better luck getting hired as a computer person, and then using your knowledge of physics to thrive and move internally, rather than trying to get in as a physics person.

You've mentioned solar, and there are other areas of semiconductor physics that you can get involved in, like LEDs (which are just reverse solar panels, essentially) and the computer chip or hard drive industries. Quantum computing has recently entered the private sector and most of the physics-related jobs require PhDs, but the computer engineering side of things doesn't. Nuclear power, while requiring quantum mechanics to understand at the atomic level, doesn't really draw much upon it in the day to day, although again there is need for computer engineers.

Just to give you a sense of what I mean, a job at Argonne National Lab for a software developer and a job at D-Wave quantum computing. This isn't even getting into solar or other more mature industries.

I guess back to your original question, if you want to convince physicists that a computerino is good at physics, perhaps you can try the Kaggle Particle Physics challenge.
Thank you for your response, klotza. I appreciate your advice and the suggestions. Sorry, I'm keeping these responses short; I've been very busy lately - mostly the day job thing.

Marisa5 said:

Nuclear does have such need. Sadly, nuclear is not itself in much demand with the exception of a very few countries. The USA, for example, has not built a new reactor in quite some time. Canada, my country, last finished a power reactor in the early 1990s. We built a reactor for isotopes, but never finished commissioning, and abandoned the project.

If you are French or Chinese, you might be able to get yourself in the door. China is building a new reactor several times per year. France is involved as a sub-contractor to build in several countries.

DEvens said:
Nuclear does have such need. Sadly, nuclear is not itself in much demand with the exception of a very few countries. The USA, for example, has not built a new reactor in quite some time. Canada, my country, last finished a power reactor in the early 1990s. We built a reactor for isotopes, but never finished commissioning, and abandoned the project.
We've had some rumblings of activity, and did indeed have a new reactor come online a few years ago:
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/nuclear/us-nuclear-industry.php

But the overall concern is valid: I think and hope nuclear will have a major resurgence, and getting in on the ground floor to start a 40 year career would be great. But even if it happens, it is anybody's guess when it would really start. It's a gamble.

1. What job opportunities are available for a physics autodidact?

As a physics autodidact, you can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and consulting. Your skills and knowledge in physics can also be applied to industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and finance.

2. How can I gain practical experience as a physics autodidact?

There are several ways to gain practical experience as a physics autodidact. You can participate in online courses, attend workshops and conferences, collaborate with other scientists, and work on individual projects. You can also apply for internships or volunteer at research institutions to gain hands-on experience.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a physics autodidact?

Apart from a strong understanding of physics principles, some essential skills for a successful career as a physics autodidact include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, mathematical proficiency, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, having programming, data analysis, and laboratory skills can also be beneficial.

4. Is it necessary to have a formal degree in physics to have a successful career as a physics autodidact?

No, it is not necessary to have a formal degree in physics to have a successful career as a physics autodidact. While a degree can provide a solid foundation and open up more opportunities, it is possible to gain knowledge and skills in physics through self-study and practical experience. Many successful scientists have started as autodidacts and have made significant contributions to their fields.

5. How can I advance in my career as a physics autodidact?

To advance in your career as a physics autodidact, you can continue to learn and stay updated with the latest developments in the field. You can also seek mentorship from experienced scientists and network with professionals in your field. Additionally, pursuing higher education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, can also provide opportunities for career advancement.