Why Is Catalyst 'C' Less Effective Than Catalyst 'B'?

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the professor said that 'c' is a worse catalyst than 'b' because the intermediate state of 'c' requires more energy to evolve into the products than the intermediate state of 'b'.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, PF

I have to comment this graphic about a reaction with and without catalysis.
Schermata 2018-01-22 alle 02.21.35.png

It's clear that the 'b' and 'c' line represent the catalysed processes, but I don't get one thing: my professor said that 'c' is a worse catalyst than 'b'. Why?

Thank you

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-01-22 alle 02.21.35.png
    Schermata 2018-01-22 alle 02.21.35.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 790
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the intermediate state. Which is more kinetically favorable to proceed from that intermediate state to the final state? B or C?EDIT: Isn't this thread more suitable in the Homework forum?

Sorry for the late replay

So basically C is worse because, although it requires a smaller activation energy, his intermediate state needs more energy to evolve into the products than B intermediate state ?

HAYAO said:
EDIT: Isn't this thread more suitable in the Homework forum?
Think you're right, I was in hurry and didn't notice there is a section about chemistry homework

dRic2 said:
Sorry for the late replay

So basically C is worse because, although it requires a smaller activation energy, his intermediate state needs more energy to evolve into the products than B intermediate state ?

Pretty much summarizes it.

The energy of the intermediate state of C is about the same as the product. If this is a thermodynamics dominated reaction, then at thermal equilibrium, we'll get (very) roughly something like 4:48:48 of initial, intermediate, and final state. If this is a kinetics dominated reaction, then the reaction from the intermediate to final state is significantly slower for C than B. In fact, it is more probable for the intermediate state of C to return back to the initial state than the final state.

Last edited:
Likes dRic2
Moved to Chemistry homework - no template, which is okay for this thread.

HAYAO said:
The energy of the intermediate state of C is about the same as the product. If this is a thermodynamics dominated reaction, then at thermal equilibrium, we'll get (very) roughly something like 4:48:48 of initial, intermediate, and final state. If this is a kinetics dominated reaction, then the reaction from the intermediate to final state is significantly slower for C than B. In fact, it is more probable for the intermediate state of C to return back to the initial state than the final state.

Very clear! Nice explanation. I didn't think about this in particular:

HAYAO said:
In fact, it is more probable for the intermediate state of C to return back to the initial state than the final state.

Thank you, I like this kind of comments.

dRic2 said:
Thank you, I like this kind of comments.
Excuse me, I made a mistake. I thought that that initial energy potential barrier is lower than the second one. So from this diagram, kinetically, it is just as probable to produce initial state from the intermediate state as producing the final state.

Ahahaha Same here! I didn't notice either (I didn't draw this)... strange optic effect

I wouldn’t say that c is a worse catalyst than b. I think you could say that both b and c induce a change of mechanism relative to what is happening in a. They catalyse a mechanism that goes through a relatively stable, macroscopically accumulating intermediate which corresponds to the troughs.The intermediate would drain away with nearly the same rate constant in both cases but there would be more of it in case c because it is created the faster, and overall rate of accumulation of product consequently would be higher in case c .

I think that c intermediate is thermodynamically equivalent (more or less) to the products, so I don't see a reason for the products to be favored. Therefor I have to give more energy to the system resulting in the possibility to reverse the reaction.

this is what I got thinking about @HAYO's reply and it sounds reasonable

Yes, in c the intermediate is actually favoured over the final product. Not in b, so in that sense your Prof is right, b gives you more final product.

Yes, problem solved. Thanks

1. What is the difference between Catalyst B and Catalyst C?

Catalyst B and Catalyst C are both chemical substances that are used to speed up a chemical reaction, but they have different properties and are made up of different elements. Catalyst B is made up of element X and Catalyst C is made up of element Y.

2. Which catalyst is more effective: B or C?

The effectiveness of a catalyst depends on the specific reaction it is being used for. In some reactions, Catalyst B may be more effective, while in others Catalyst C may be more effective. It is important to test both catalysts in the specific reaction to determine which one is more effective.

3. Can Catalyst B be used as a substitute for Catalyst C?

It is possible to use Catalyst B as a substitute for Catalyst C in some reactions, but not all. As mentioned before, the effectiveness of a catalyst depends on the specific reaction it is being used for. It is important to test both catalysts in the specific reaction to determine if Catalyst B can be used as a substitute for Catalyst C.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using Catalyst B or C?

Both Catalyst B and Catalyst C can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when handling these chemicals, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area.

5. How do I choose between Catalyst B and Catalyst C for my experiment?

The best way to choose between Catalyst B and Catalyst C for your experiment is to consult with a chemist or conduct experiments with both catalysts to determine which one is more effective for your specific reaction. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of each catalyst when making your decision.