Cenco Electrical Device Found help needed identifying

In summary, this device is likely from the early days of electrochemistry, used for various laboratory purposes.
logic3214
Reader,

Forgive me if I break any of forum rules, as I am a newbie posting here. Today, last minute Christmas with my beloved other, I found some sort of vintage electrical device. I understand the basic principles behind what would be happening on the stand with electricity. However I am missing is the intended purpose of device or actually what it was meant to do . I wonder if the platform in the middle was meant to hold some sort of substance to be bombarded with electricity, or the platforms preforms another purpose?? I have been thorough the entire Cenco Scientific catalog and found nothing. Help Please! I can post more pictures or video if needed as well as more details only a small stamp on plate with number and Cenco Tag. All pictures thus far are attached.

Thank You,
SMG

Attachments

• IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 554
  • IMAG0461.jpg
    IMAG0461.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 592
  • IMAG0454.jpg
    IMAG0454.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 576
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 585
  • IMAG0457.jpg
    IMAG0457.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 600
Engineering news on Phys.org
What you have is for supporting electrodes being dipped into various solutions. Sometimes for laboratory work, sometimes for plating, sometimes for just puttering around. You might check under "cell electrode holders" or something similar, electrolysis accessories, plating fixtures, something along those lines. What you've got pictured is "upside down." The coil at the end of the two pylons is dipped into a beaker, and the bakelite sits like a nice little pot lid on the top of the beaker. The piece you've got looks like someone measuring fusing currents of copper wire in transformer oil or, some similar purpose.

Likes logic3214
Bystander said:
What you have is for supporting electrodes being dipped into various solutions. Sometimes for laboratory work, sometimes for plating, sometimes for just puttering around. You might check under "cell electrode holders" or something similar, electrolysis accessories, plating fixtures, something along those lines. What you've got pictured is "upside down." The coil at the end of the two pylons is dipped into a beaker, and the bakelite sits like a nice little pot lid on the top of the beaker. The piece you've got looks like someone measuring fusing currents of copper wire in transformer oil or, some similar purpose.

Bystander,
Thank you I am about to do a search now.
SMG

I've got one in the basement that is very similar; four terminals feeding through the lid to slit clamps for grabbing metal strips/coupons, and possibly Ag plated.

Would you mind if you find some free time posting a few pictures or sending to me direct. I am still having problems identifying. Looked up some different electrolysis methods but have failed to find this specific device.

Will do. Gonna be a couple days.

No problem sounds great, I did not want to blow any fuses before Christmas anyway. I am about to go back to the thrift shop and buy some more equipment. They have a bunch of different old school lunch box style meters, and switches etc..

logic3214 said:
No problem sounds great, I did not want to blow any fuses before Christmas anyway. I am about to go back to the thrift shop and buy some more equipment. They have a bunch of different old school lunch box style meters, and switches etc..

Welcome to the PF.

You might enjoy this thread that was "stickied" in the EE forum for quite a while:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...and-measuring-things-etc.755959/#post-4761264

It's about vintage electrical and electronic equipment. :-)

Here goes nuttin'. We'll see how well I can handle 21st century technology. Images show top, bottom, and designed application of the device supporting paper dummy electrodes in a beaker (probably got used more in old mayonnaise jars than in beakers).https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/60/60069-9ec7997b8862dcb879cfb2333a30065b.jpg https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/60/60070-ed944ad21007de9d33dc30b9e225d049.jpg https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/60/60072-641d48b156e46b451629f68f0d001ec3.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP0408.JPG
    IMGP0408.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 720
  • IMGP0407.JPG
    IMGP0407.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 693
  • IMGP0405.JPG
    IMGP0405.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 729
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I actually picked up a few items, which look more along the lines of what I see pictured above, almost identical, minus the glassware. I'm still not seeing it with the first device. The glassware for it must have looked like a fish bowl lol. Next step is to find some glass ware. Thank you for the help I'll post some more pics tomorrow. Also planning to repost to vintage equipment thread.

Oh by the way, thanks for the pictures. Where did you find your equipment/glass?

Residue of career as a chemist.

Looking again at the first item you posted, it has a suspiciously remanufactured look to it as if someone were trying to "communicate with the inhabitants of Atlantis by dipping it in sea water samples from the Bermuda Triangle, or some similar sort of tin foil hat activity."

A word to the wise: might be worth keeping such things in plastic bags, and handling with plastic gloves, given that we've no idea what the actual histories are in terms of who was using them with solutions of "what." The "what" for the era from which this sort of equipment (Cenco) dates is pre-WWII, and the electrochemical games being played in those days involved some rather gratuitous uses of mercury, cadmium, lead, and other heavy metals that have been demonstrated to be hazardous, and could have left enough residues to be "iffy."

I did not even think about that. The equipment actually came out of a small college in Alabama that closed its science department, and this woman's grandfather has been storing it since. Most of it was gone by the time I found it, but of well. I'll post some other pics of some of the other findings today if I can ever get some sleep.

Just out of curiosity what time is it where you are?

Mountain. Freezing.

Gotcha Birmingham Al CTZ 0826 here and 11.11 Celcius and rainy.

1. What is a Cenco Electrical Device Found?

A Cenco Electrical Device Found is a type of scientific equipment used in experiments and research, typically in the fields of physics and chemistry. It is produced by the company Cenco and is known for its high-quality and reliable performance.

2. How do I identify a Cenco Electrical Device Found?

Cenco Electrical Device Found can usually be identified by the brand name "Cenco" on the device itself. It may also have a model number or serial number that can be used to further identify it. Additionally, the device may come with a user manual or documentation that can help with identification.

3. What types of experiments can be conducted with a Cenco Electrical Device Found?

Cenco Electrical Device Found can be used in a wide range of experiments and research studies, including but not limited to electrical circuits, magnetism, and electrochemistry. Its versatility and precision make it a popular choice among scientists and researchers.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Cenco Electrical Device Found?

As with any scientific equipment, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using a Cenco Electrical Device Found. This may include wearing protective gear, following correct procedures, and ensuring the device is properly grounded to prevent electric shocks.

5. I need help with identifying a specific Cenco Electrical Device Found. Where can I get assistance?

If you are having trouble identifying a Cenco Electrical Device Found, you can reach out to the manufacturer's customer service team for assistance. You can also consult with other scientists or researchers who may have experience with similar devices. Additionally, there may be online forums or user groups dedicated to Cenco equipment where you can ask for help.

Back