CFD LES: Simulating a Hurricane

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hurricane
In summary: What we are struggling with is the fact that we would like to run the simulations multiple times and compare the results. I would really appreciate if you could direct me to a resource that addresses this issue.In summary, the researcher is looking for help with a LES of a hurricane. They have forgotten most of the information from a year and a half ago, and want to find an introductory text on the subject. They are struggling to find resources that address their specific issue of modeling the inlet velocity boundary conditions.
Feodalherren
Hi,

I'm doing research in CFD and I'm trying to do a LES of a hurricane. Problem is, I don't remember much about LES. I took a class in CFD about a year and a half ago and most of it is gone. I've read the wikipedia page on LES but I'd like to dive in deeper. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all, it would help if you stopped using arcane acronyms. Typing them out is more energy efficient than googling!

I gather that LES stands for Large Eddy Simulation and CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics. I would suggest and introductory text such as H K Versteeg and W Malalasekera, An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics 2nd Ed. which appears to be available for downloading for free on-line.

AM

Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd
LES is a fairly advanced and new-ish topic. It is unlikely that an introductory text is going to spend enough time on the topic to allow you to be proficient enough to carry out a research-quality LES. An introductory text may be a decent place to start depending on your level of familiarity with CFD, but ultimately, there are entire textbooks dedicated to LES and it is an active area of research, so those more advanced books, research papers, and your research advisor and/or colleagues will be far better sources on LES-specific issues.

The other thing you ought to ask yourself is whether or not doing an LES makes sense for your situation. Do you need that level of fidelity? Do you have sufficient computational resources for such a simulation? Even on supercomputers an LES might run for a week or more, let alone on a smaller cluster or, heaven forbid, a workstation.

boneh3ad said:
LES is a fairly advanced and new-ish topic. It is unlikely that an introductory text is going to spend enough time on the topic to allow you to be proficient enough to carry out a research-quality LES. An introductory text may be a decent place to start depending on your level of familiarity with CFD, but ultimately, there are entire textbooks dedicated to LES and it is an active area of research, so those more advanced books, research papers, and your research advisor and/or colleagues will be far better sources on LES-specific issues.
Since the OP's first thought was to check Wikipedia as he had forgotten most of his only course on CFD, I assumed he wanted something basic... The text I suggested deals with the subject in chapter 3.8 and covers it in some detail.

AM

Than's for the answers. I'm trying to refresh my memory as we did deal with LES for a bit. To clarify: my job is to help a research team to model hurricanes in LES. I won't be doing much as far as the modeling itself goes. I will be doing programming in C for the team. Anyway, I'm trying to find a way in which to model the inlet velocity boundary conditions. I've tried searching Engineering Village, Google scholar, and Web of Science but I honestly can't come up with much that seems related. I find plenty of stuff on inlet conditions for turbines and such but I doubt that it's very useful.

@ Mr Mason, I only used the acronyms as I assumed that anyone who would be able to help would know what they meant anyway. Naturally, I don't use them while I'm looking for literature or papers ;). I will take a look at that book.

@boneh3ad: The resources are definitely not the issue. We have the computing power to run the simulations that we want, yes it takes several days to a week to run a simulation but that is already accounted for.

1. What is CFD LES?

CFD LES stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics Large Eddy Simulation. It is a numerical method used to simulate fluid flow and turbulence in a variety of applications, including weather and climate modeling. CFD LES is particularly useful for simulating complex phenomena like hurricanes, as it captures the effects of both large and small scales of motion.

2. How is CFD LES used to simulate hurricanes?

In the case of hurricanes, CFD LES is used to simulate the turbulent flow of air in and around the storm. It takes into account the effects of factors such as wind speed, temperature, and humidity to accurately model the behavior of the hurricane. This information can then be used to predict the storm's track and intensity.

3. What makes CFD LES a more accurate method for simulating hurricanes?

CFD LES is a more accurate method for simulating hurricanes compared to other methods because it explicitly resolves the largest eddies within the flow, which are responsible for the majority of the energy transfer. This allows for a more realistic representation of the turbulence and its impact on the hurricane's behavior.

4. What are the benefits of using CFD LES for hurricane simulation?

One of the main benefits of using CFD LES for hurricane simulation is its ability to capture the complex interactions between the atmosphere, ocean, and land that contribute to the formation and behavior of hurricanes. CFD LES also allows for more detailed and accurate predictions of a hurricane's track and intensity, which can aid in disaster preparedness and response efforts.

5. What are some limitations of CFD LES for hurricane simulation?

While CFD LES is a powerful tool for simulating hurricanes, it also has some limitations. One major limitation is the computational resources required, as CFD LES simulations can be computationally expensive and time-consuming. Additionally, CFD LES relies on accurate input data, so any errors or uncertainties in the initial conditions can affect the accuracy of the simulation results.