,CFD Simulation of Delta Wing: Questions & Guidance

In summary: So if you have time and enough computational power, it's better to make a structured mesh, but it's not mandatory.In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a CFD simulation for a 70 degree sweep Delta Wing, including the use of a spherical far-field boundary, inflation layers, and different turbulence models. The user seeks guidance on potential mistakes, turbulence conditions, and the need for a structured mesh. Suggestions are given to consult online forums and research papers for further information.
rahman1019
I am trying to perform a CFD simulation of a 70 degree sweep Delta Wing at different angles of attack (aoa = 20, 25, 30, 35 degrees). The inlet flow is at 25m/s. I have made a spherical Far-field boundary with the sphere radius of 5 times the root chord length of the delta wing. Because of the symmetrical shape only half of the delta wing and spherical far-field boundary is considered for meshing. I have made 10 inflation layers on the delta wing surface to capture the boundary layer and an unstructured mesh in the far-field using ICEM-CFD. A mesh with 0.7 million cells has been created. Since the Mach no. is low, I have run a steady state Pressure based simulation using SA turbulence model in Fluent. Density of air is taken as constant. The hemi-spherical boundary is taken as velocity inlet and the symmetry is applied at the symmetrical face. My y+ lies in the range of 0.1 - 0.6.

I want to know, have i made any mistake in the case setup?

what turbulence conditions i need to mention at the inlet velocity boundary condition?

I also want to perform simulations with k-w SST and k-epsilon turbulence models. Is my y+ enough for the simulations with the above mentioned turbulence models? Among all which is a relatively better turbulence model for subsonic CFD simulations of delta wings at high angles of attack?

Do i need to make a structured mesh?

Your guidance will be appreciated.

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
It'd be nice to see a picture of the mesh. It's kind of hard to imagine. That should be enough cells for the turbulence models, but the mesh has to be constructed well. A picture of it would help a lot.

What makes you think there is a mistake?

There is a lot of information on turbulence modeling in the ANSYS theory manuals, especially for fluent (you didn't mention which solver you use). They also give guidelines for the y+ values, depending on your near-wall treatment. If you use some 'law-of-the-wall' kind of wall function, y+ actually needs to be large (>30), if you are resolving the boundary layer, y+ needs to be small (<1).

You might also want to take a look at some NASA papers on their online NASA Technical Reports database. Some papers give a lot of details on settings, model comparison etc.

If your solver knows about structured meshes, it's better because it can be solved faster. Also, structured meshes tend to have higher quality cells.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your simulation setup for the delta wing. It seems that you have followed a sound approach in setting up the case and mesh. However, without further details or access to your simulation files, it is difficult to determine if any mistakes have been made. It would be helpful to provide more information on the geometry, boundary conditions, and solver settings.

In terms of turbulence conditions at the inlet velocity boundary, this may depend on the specific flow conditions and the turbulence model being used. Generally, for subsonic flows, it is recommended to use a low turbulence intensity and a turbulent kinetic energy (k) value of around 1% of the freestream velocity. The turbulence length scale (l) can also be set to 0.07 times the characteristic length of the geometry.

Your y+ values seem appropriate for the SA turbulence model, which is commonly used for low Mach number flows. However, for more accurate predictions, it may be beneficial to also consider the k-w SST or k-epsilon models, which are known to perform well for complex flows like delta wings. In this case, your y+ values may be too low and may need to be adjusted to fall within the recommended range (5-50 for k-w SST and 30-300 for k-epsilon).

Regarding the use of a structured mesh, it may not be necessary for your current setup as unstructured meshes can often provide good results. However, it may be worth exploring the use of both types of meshes to see which one performs better for your specific case.

I hope this guidance helps in your simulations. As always, it is recommended to validate your results against experimental data or other reliable sources to ensure accuracy. Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is CFD simulation and how does it work?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation is a computer-based method used to predict the behavior of fluids, such as air or water, around objects. It works by dividing the fluid into small, discrete units and solving equations that describe how the fluid flows and interacts with the object. These simulations can provide valuable insights into the aerodynamics of objects, such as a delta wing, and help optimize their design.

2. Why is CFD simulation important for studying delta wings?

CFD simulation allows researchers to visualize and analyze the flow of air around a delta wing, which is a complex and non-linear process. This information is crucial for understanding the aerodynamic characteristics of the wing, such as lift and drag, and for predicting its performance in different conditions. It also allows for cost-effective testing and design optimization compared to physical wind tunnel testing.

3. What are some challenges in conducting CFD simulation of delta wings?

One of the main challenges in CFD simulation of delta wings is accurately modeling the flow separation and vortices that occur at the sharp edges and corners of the wing. These are important factors in determining the wing's aerodynamic performance but can be difficult to capture in a simulation. Another challenge is selecting appropriate turbulence models to accurately represent the complex flow behavior around the delta wing.

4. How do researchers validate the results of a CFD simulation for a delta wing?

To validate the results of a CFD simulation for a delta wing, researchers compare the simulation data to experimental data obtained from wind tunnel tests or flight tests. This helps ensure that the simulation is accurately capturing the real-world behavior of the wing. Additionally, sensitivity analyses can be performed to assess the impact of various simulation parameters on the results.

5. How can CFD simulation of delta wings be used in practical applications?

CFD simulation of delta wings has numerous practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of aircraft wings, missiles, and other vehicles that utilize delta wings. It can also be used to study the effects of changing operating conditions, such as airspeed or angle of attack, on the performance of the wing. Additionally, CFD simulation can assist in developing control strategies for delta wing vehicles and evaluating their stability and handling characteristics.