Challenge III: Rational Tangles, solved by pwsnafu

In summary: So we needed 4 steps.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of functions T and R to invert any combination, and also shows that every positive rational number can be written in a certain form using these functions. The conversation also mentions a challenge question regarding the Sylvester-Gallai Theorem, which is solved by using an algorithm that transforms any rational number to a natural number. Finally, a new challenge is presented involving the functions T and R and their ability to go from one rational number to another in a finite number of steps.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The newest challenge is the following:

Challenge:
Define the functions ##R(x)= -1/x## and ##T(x)=x+1##. Let ##q## and ##q^\prime## be two rational numbers. Prove that we can go from ##q## to ##q^\prime## in finitely many steps by applying ##T## and ##R## in a certain combination.

As an example, we can easily go from ##0## to ##-1/3##. Indeed, we can apply ##T## to ##0## to go to ##1##, we apply ##T## to go to ##2##, we apply ##T## to go to ##3##, and then we apply ##R## to go to ##-1/3##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Might as well start.

Well ##R^{-1} = R## and ##T^{-1} = RTRTR## so that shows we can invert any combination.
Secondly, observe
##T^c R T^b R T^a (0) = c - \frac{1}{b - \frac{1}{a}},##
and in general
##T^{k_1} R T^{k_2} \ldots T^{k_n}(0) = k_1 - \frac{1}{k_2 - \frac{1}{\ldots - \frac{1}{k_n}}}##
We get something similar to continued fractions, the only difference being the subtractions instead of additions. But every positive rational number can be written in this form for the same reason that every rational can be written as a continued fraction (just change "integer part" to "integer part + 1" in the algorithm). So we can map 0 to any positive rational. R'ing that means we get every negative rational.

Hmm, there's probably something left to prove. Oh well.

Posting an answer would be kind of cheating, since I've encountered it before. Someone might be interested to know that T and R are generators of the modular group [itex]\Gamma[/itex] of transformations of the upper half-plane. Answering the question amounts to proving that [itex]\Gamma[/itex] acts transitively on [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Further insight into micro's hatred of Wikipedia and arithmetic. Clearly we have a group whose action on 0 generates Q. As pwsnafu points out we can use continued fractions. It was quite a macro oversight not to provide the reader with
$$T^{-1}=RTRTR=x-1$$
Don't you like to subtract?

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
Further insight into micro's hatred of Wikipedia and arithmetic. Clearly we have a group whose action on 0 generates Q. As pwsnafu points out we can use continued fractions. It was quite a macro oversight not to provide the reader with
$$T^{-1}=RTRTR=x-1$$

Surely a challenge question would require the reader to derive facts like the above for themselves.

Number Nine said:
Surely a challenge question would require the reader to derive facts like the above for themselves.

I found deriving that equation quite fun. So I'm glad micro didn't write that. :approve:

The following algorithm takes any rational number to a natural number:

1. If a/b is a natural number, stop.
2. Else if a/b < 0, apply T.
3. Else if a/b > 0, apply R.
4. Repeat.

The only way this could fail to terminate is if it gets stuck in a rule or cycles continuously. Getting stuck in rule 2 is not possible by the Archimedean property of the integers. Getting stuck in rule 3 is not possible because it takes positive numbers to negative numbers. Cycling from rule 2 to 3 and back again is not possible because the first positive number after a chain of rule T's will be < 1, therefore rule R will reduce the size of the denominator. Eventually, it'll reduce it to 1. This is sufficient to show that the algorithm terminates.

To extend this, given any two rational numbers, apply the algorithm to each giving two natural numbers N < M. Apply T finitely many times to transform N into M. Then, if R and T are invertible, invert the process that generated M and voila.

lurflurf said:
$$T^{-1}=RTRTR=x-1$$

Not sure why you think I should give a partial solution in a challenge question...

Anyway, very big congratulations to pwsnafu for giving such a short and elegant solution. And of course, a congratulations to verty as well for providing a more elementary solution. I hope you enjoyed it.

For a cool application of this question to knot theory, anybody interested can go to:
http://nrich.maths.org/5776
http://www.geometer.org/mathcircles/tangle.pdf

A new question will be up shortly!

Last edited:
Challenge V: Sylvester-Gallai Theorem, solved by Mandelbroth

verty said:
The following algorithm takes any rational number to a natural number:

1. If a/b is a natural number, stop.
2. Else if a/b < 0, apply T.
3. Else if a/b > 0, apply R.
4. Repeat.

The only way this could fail to terminate is if it gets stuck in a rule or cycles continuously. Getting stuck in rule 2 is not possible by the Archimedean property of the integers. Getting stuck in rule 3 is not possible because it takes positive numbers to negative numbers. Cycling from rule 2 to 3 and back again is not possible because the first positive number after a chain of rule T's will be < 1, therefore rule R will reduce the size of the denominator. Eventually, it'll reduce it to 1. This is sufficient to show that the algorithm terminates.

To extend this, given any two rational numbers, apply the algorithm to each giving two natural numbers N < M. Apply T finitely many times to transform N into M. Then, if R and T are invertible, invert the process that generated M and voila.

I didn't get anywhere with it, but I'm pleased to find I was going in this very direction. I just didn't know how to show it.

Also, micromass, your second link is giving me a 404 Not Found error.

TheShrike said:
I didn't get anywhere with it, but I'm pleased to find I was going in this very direction. I just didn't know how to show it.

Also, micromass, your second link is giving me a 404 Not Found error.

Should work now.

Related to Challenge III: Rational Tangles, solved by pwsnafu

What is Challenge III: Rational Tangles?

Challenge III: Rational Tangles is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a specific type of knot called a rational tangle. It was first introduced by mathematician John Conway in 1974.

What is a rational tangle?

A rational tangle is a knot that can be represented by a sequence of twists and turns between two parallel lines. It is considered a simpler form of a knot and can be used to understand more complex knot structures.

What does "solved by pwsnafu" mean?

"Solved by pwsnafu" refers to the solution to Challenge III: Rational Tangles that was discovered by mathematician Peter Winkler (pwsnafu is his username on various online platforms). His solution involves using a technique called "state graph enumeration" to find all possible solutions to the problem.

Why is Challenge III: Rational Tangles important?

Challenge III: Rational Tangles is important because it helps researchers better understand knot theory and its applications in various fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. It also highlights the power of mathematical thinking and problem-solving in solving complex problems.

Are there any real-world applications for Challenge III: Rational Tangles?

Yes, there are real-world applications for Challenge III: Rational Tangles. For example, rational tangles have been used to model DNA recombination and understand the folding of proteins. They have also been used in computer science to analyze the complexity of algorithms and in physics to study the behavior of topological insulators.