Change of bases with log tables

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem by using a log table. The specific task is to find the value of $\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)$ and the method used involves using the change of base and looking up values in the log table.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone,

I need some help to solve this problem:

The direction states to find the value by using the log table

$\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)$

Work:

I using the change of base:
$\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)=\frac{\log\left({825.6}\right)}{\log\left({3}\right)}$

I look up the values of the logarithm of 3 and 825.6.

$\log\left({825.6}\right)=.91677+2$ =$\log\left({8.256}\right)+2$

$\log\left({3}\right)=.47712$

yields

$\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)=\frac{2.91677}{.47712}$

Taking the log of both sides:
$\log\left({\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)}\right)=\log\left({\frac{2.91677}{.47712}}\right)$

Using the log identity to dividing to difference:
$\log\left({\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)}\right)=\log\left({2.91677}\right)-\log\left({.47712}\right)$

Finding the values of log(2.91677) and log(.47712)

Do I drop the last digit in (2.91677 and .47712) and look up the first four digits or do I interpolate the last digits by using the Table of proportional parts?

Thank you,

Cbarker

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What exactly are you being asked to compute?

Compute the value by using log table
$\log_{3}\left({825.6}\right)$

I think I would observe:

\(\displaystyle 825.6=\frac{2^6\cdot3\cdot43}{10}\)

And now apply some log properties, and then use the change of base as needed. :D

1. How do you change bases using log tables?

To change bases using log tables, you need to use the change of base formula: logb(x) = logc(x)/logc(b). This means that to convert a log with base b to a log with base c, you divide the log of the number by the log of the base you want to convert to.

2. Why is changing bases with log tables useful?

Changing bases with log tables is useful because it allows you to easily solve logarithmic equations that involve different bases. It also helps in simplifying complex logarithmic expressions and making calculations more manageable.

3. Can log tables be used for any base?

Yes, log tables can be used for any base. However, most log tables only include values for common bases such as 10, e (natural logarithm), and 2. If you need to convert to a base that is not listed in the log table, you can use the change of base formula or a calculator to find the equivalent value.

4. How do you use log tables to solve exponential equations?

To use log tables to solve exponential equations, you first need to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. Then, use the properties of logarithms (such as the power rule and product rule) to simplify the equation. Finally, use the log table to find the values of the logarithms and solve for the unknown variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using log tables for changing bases?

The main limitation of using log tables for changing bases is that it can be time-consuming and prone to errors. Additionally, log tables may not always have values for all bases and numbers, making it difficult to accurately convert. It is often more efficient to use a calculator or computer program for changing bases instead of log tables.