Change of limits in integral question

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific example of a derivation where the limits of an integral are changed and how it relates to the expression exp(-iax). This involves manipulating the integrand and using a substitution to combine the two integrals into one.
Master J
Ive come across a few derivations whereby a few changes that don't see so obvious to me occur.
For instance, this one:

Integral, from 0 to infinity, of x.sin(ax), whereby it becomes x.exp(iax) / 2i, from minus infinity to plus. How can the limits be changed like that, and what about the exp(-iax) ?

Cheers chaps!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]sin(ax)= \frac{e^{iax}- e^{-iax}}{2i}[/tex]
so
[tex]xsin(ax)= \frac{xe^{iax}}{2i}- \frac{xe^{-iax}}{2i}[/tex]
and then
[tex]\int_0^\infty xsin(ax)dx= \int_0^\infty \frac{xe^{iax}}{2i}dx- \int_0^\infty\frac{xe^{-iax}}{2i}dx[/tex]

Now, in that second integral, let u= -x. Then du= -dx, when x= 0, u= 0. When [itex]x= \infty[/itex], [itex]u= -\infty[/itex] so that second integral becomes
[tex]+\int_{-\infty}^0 ue^{iau}du[/tex].

That is,
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{xe^{iax}}{2i}dx-\int_0^\infty \frac{xe^{-iax}}{2i}dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int_0^\infty \frac{xe^{iax}}{2i}dx+ \int_{-\infty}^0 \frac{ue^{iau}}{2i}du[/tex]
Since those two integrands are the same, we can combine the two integrals:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{iax}dx[/itex]

Related to Change of limits in integral question

1. What is a change of limits in an integral question?

A change of limits in an integral question refers to the process of altering the bounds of integration in an integral equation. This can be done to simplify the equation or to solve for a specific value.

2. Why would you need to change the limits in an integral question?

There are a few reasons why you may need to change the limits in an integral question. One common reason is to make the equation easier to solve by changing the interval of integration. Another reason may be to solve for a specific value by setting the limits to correspond with that value.

3. How do you change the limits in an integral question?

To change the limits in an integral question, you can use a substitution or transformation to manipulate the equation and adjust the bounds of integration accordingly. You can also use appropriate properties and theorems to simplify the equation and change the limits.

4. What is the purpose of changing limits in an integral question?

The purpose of changing limits in an integral question is usually to make the equation easier to solve or to find a specific value. By changing the limits, you may be able to use different integration techniques or properties to simplify the equation and obtain a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to changing limits in an integral question?

While changing limits can be a useful technique in solving integral equations, there are some limitations to consider. The new limits must still be within the original bounds of integration, and the substitution or transformation used must be valid for the entire interval. Additionally, changing the limits may also result in a more complex equation, so it's important to consider the trade-offs before proceeding.