Changing medium - Standing Mechanical Waves

In summary, the question is about the effect of changing the medium (lighter or heavier) on the velocity of particles in a standing mechanical wave. The teacher argues that the velocity will not change because the question specifically pertains to a standing mechanical wave. However, the student argues that the velocity will change due to the change in mass density. Without specifying the complete system, it is difficult to determine the correct answer. If the medium is a string, the linear density and wave speed would change, but for other mediums, it would depend on both elasticity and density. Ultimately, it is a poorly worded question.
IAmCurious
I wanted to ask the following question: If we change the medium of the wave (lighter or heavier) , how it will affect the particles velocity of the standing mechanical wave ?

In my exam , there was a function's graph of one of the particles (of the standing wave) described with the coordinates y(displacement) and t(time). I claimed that the slope of the function's graph represents the velocity of the particles has to be changed because the mass of the medium changed.

My teacher claims that my answer is incorrect and the velocity of the particles won't be changed because of the fact that the question is about a specific kind of wave : a standing mechanical wave, so the particles velocity won't be affected by the change of the medium's mass.

So who's right and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the graph of y(t) is unchanged then clearly y'(t) can't change either. So what do you mean by changing the medium in the problem? Are you replacing the string (or whatever) and then imposing the same initial condition of displacement? Do you have a standing wave which spans a string with two sections of different density?

"Are you replacing the string (or whatever) and then imposing the same initial condition of displacement?"
Yes. I was asked if due to the change in the medium's mass (heavier) , does that it mean the graph supposed to be changed?

If the tension is kept the same and only the mass density per length changes, then the frequency of the standing wave should change (as evidenced by the behavior of real strings). Thus to "sweep" the same range of displacement per cycle, a heavier string should be moving more slowly and y(t) is "stretched" in time. So I believe your intuition is correct.

Likes 1 person
Would you please give the equations you used to conclude this conclusion?

If you just consider the kinematics of the standing wave, your teacher is right.

But if you consider the physics of the system, you can't change only the mass and expect everything else to stay the same. The frequency and/or the amplitude of the wave would change, so in general you would be right.

But if the exam question didn't describe the complete system, you can't consider the physics without making some assumptions. Personally I think it's a poor exam question.

Likes 1 person
If the medium is a string, changing it likely changes the linear density to change, which would change the wave speed as the reciprocal of the square root of the factorial change in the linear density. I agree with AlephZero, it is a poorly worded question.

If it's not a string, it's then going to become a function of both elasticity and density.

Related to Changing medium - Standing Mechanical Waves

1. How does changing the medium affect standing mechanical waves?

Changing the medium can affect the speed and wavelength of standing mechanical waves. In denser mediums, the speed of the wave will decrease and the wavelength will shorten. In less dense mediums, the speed will increase and the wavelength will lengthen.

2. What are some examples of mediums that can support standing mechanical waves?

Some examples of mediums that can support standing mechanical waves include strings, air columns, and membranes.

3. Can changing the tension of a medium affect standing mechanical waves?

Yes, changing the tension of a medium can affect standing mechanical waves. Increasing the tension will increase the speed of the wave, while decreasing the tension will decrease the speed.

4. How does the frequency of a standing mechanical wave change when the medium is changed?

The frequency of a standing mechanical wave remains constant when the medium is changed. However, the speed and wavelength will change, affecting the overall appearance of the wave.

5. Can standing mechanical waves exist in all types of mediums?

No, standing mechanical waves can only exist in mediums that allow for the reflection of waves. For example, sound waves cannot form standing waves in open air, but can in a closed tube.