Charge to Mass Lab Error Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab measuring the charge to mass ratio of an electron using a magnetic field and an accelerating potential. The speaker is struggling with error analysis, particularly in determining the uncertainty in the final result. They have taken 15 measurements and calculated the charge to mass ratio for each one, but are unsure of how to use these to express the final value. The conversation also mentions taking a weighted average and checking for consistency in the measurements.
DerekSessions
In a lab measuring the charge to mass ratio of an electron I am having trouble with the error analysis. Specifically, this lab measured the radius of a curved path of an electron in a magnetic field (generated by Helmholtz coils with a a current 'I' running through them) with the velocity of the electron due to an accelerating potential in an anode. My question is about the uncertainty in the final answer. Measurements were taken at 5 set radii, for 3 set accelerating potential, and I measured the current in the Helmholtz coils required to reach the 5 radii at the 3 accelerating potential.

There was uncertainty in the radii, in the accelerating potential, and in the current through the Helmholtz coils. I solved for the charge to mass ratio of each of these 15 measurements (3 accelerating potential for each of the 5 radii) and I propagated error through each of the 15 measurements using:

δ(charge to mass ratio)=(average charge to mass ratio)* √[(δI/I)^2+(δr/r)^2+(δV/V)^2]

(I=current through coils, r=radius, V=accelerating potential)

My issue is, I have 15 measurements for the Charge to mass ratio and the 15 corresponding uncertainties. How do I use these to express the final value in the lab? Because if I use a standard deviation of the 15 measurements, I'm essentially throwing my 15 calculated uncertainties out the window, am I not? Should I not be averaging the 15 measurements for the charge to mass ratio to begin with? Any insight is helpful as I am clearly at a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

All electrons are the same, so you are making duplicate measurements of the same thing, so the uncertainty in your result will decrease as you take more measurements.

I think you take a weighted average of each measurement (weighted by 1/variance) to get the result, and add the inverses of the variances together to get the inverse of the variance of the result.

You should also do a check to make sure that your measurements are reasonably consistent with each other. The standard deviation in the measurements should be similar in scale to your estimated measurement uncertainty for each measurement.

1. What is the purpose of a Charge to Mass Lab Error Analysis?

A Charge to Mass Lab Error Analysis is used to determine the charge to mass ratio of a particle, which can provide valuable information about its properties and behavior. This ratio is an important factor in understanding the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and particle physics.

2. How is the charge to mass ratio calculated in this lab?

In this lab, the charge to mass ratio is calculated by measuring the deflection of a charged particle in a magnetic field and using known values for the magnetic field strength and particle velocity. By manipulating the equations for circular motion and the Lorentz force, the charge to mass ratio can be determined.

3. What are some common sources of error in a Charge to Mass Lab?

Some common sources of error in a Charge to Mass Lab include imprecise measurements of the magnetic field strength and particle velocity, inaccuracies in the experimental setup, and human error in recording and analyzing data. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How can the accuracy of a Charge to Mass Lab be improved?

The accuracy of a Charge to Mass Lab can be improved by using more precise instruments, conducting multiple trials and taking an average, and minimizing sources of error. It is also important to follow proper procedures and perform the experiment in a controlled environment to obtain reliable results.

5. What are some real-world applications of knowing the charge to mass ratio?

The charge to mass ratio is used in a variety of real-world applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometry, and spacecraft propulsion. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, which has applications in fields such as medical imaging and materials science.