Charges on Faraday ice bucket like conductors

In summary, the conversation is discussing problems with charge distributions on buckets and other conductors with cavities. The speaker is interested in experiments, photos, and detailed examples related to these types of charges. They also ask about the charge distribution on an insulated metal pail and electroscopes in relation to Faraday's ice-pail experiment. The conversation also includes questions about the charge distribution on a charged conducter sphere with a pit and whether the pit has more or less charge than the curved surface. The speaker is seeking clarification on the concept of pits being similar to points in terms of charge distribution.
Volcano
Hi,

I have problems with charge distributions of buckets and other conductors which has a cavity. If there is experiments, photos, detailed examples about this kind of charges then glad to learn the links in net.

Suppose have a conductor like Faraday ice bucket. And tied two un-charged electroscopes via switchs to inner and outer surfaces of bucket. Can we say that both electroscopes loaded the same charge everytime?

More detailed;

1. first bucket loaded then both switch closed (what about in opposite order?)

2. a positive charge hanged down till the mid of bucket switchs(before - later) closed

3. a positive charge make charge to inner wall. Switchs(before - later) closed

4. Grounded from inner/outer faces while a positive charge hanged to inwards and switchs closed.

5. If a charged conducter sphere has a pit what about the charge distribution? Is there charge in pit? Much or less then curved surface? The same thing as pointed surfaces?

I was guess the electroscopes must have the same charge as the charge of tied surface. But suppose this is not true. Sorry asked lot but I am confuced.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to add a picture to my question. And i suppose must say "Faraday's ice-pail experiment" :) I am afraid can not explain all my idea with my poor English. So avoid to write complex sentences. Beside, prefer to ask my questions.

* As i know the charges on a conducter must be outside of surface. But somewhere a sentence I read that, "pits over a conductor is like the points". If this true, the pit must has much charge. But as we know from "Faraday's ice-pail experiment", inside has no charges. All of them are over the outer surface. Is really pits like points?

* In "Faraday's ice-pail experiment", connected the outer surface of an insulated metal pail to an electroscope by means of a conducting wire. He then lowered a positively charged ball into the pail, supporting it by a silk thread and electroscope charged by induction positively. The, leaves remainded apart without change when the ball was allowed to contact the inside of the pail.; the charges on the ball was therefore lost. After the ball was removed, it was evident that the outside of the pail(and the electroscope) had acquired all the charge originally placed on the ball.

what would be the charge of electroscope if he also connected another electroscope to the inner surface? I suppose, other electroscope charged with;

Before the ball contacted: negative
After the ball contacted: any charge

What is the truth?

Attachments

• elek.bmp
    223 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
for your question. The phenomenon you are describing is known as "charge induction" and it is a fundamental concept in electrostatics. When a conductor, such as the Faraday ice bucket, is charged, the charge will distribute itself evenly on the outer surface of the conductor. This is known as the "Faraday cage effect." When you introduce a charged object, like the electroscopes, inside the conductor, the charge on the outer surface will redistribute itself to counteract the presence of the charged object. This means that the inner and outer surfaces of the conductor will have different charge distributions.

In your specific examples, the electroscopes will not have the same charge as the inner surface of the bucket. The charge on the inner surface will redistribute itself to counteract the presence of the charged object, resulting in a different charge distribution on the inner surface compared to the outer surface. This is also true if you close the switches in opposite order.

In the case of a charged conductor with a pit or pointed surfaces, the charge distribution will also be different compared to a smooth, curved surface. This is because the charge will accumulate more at the sharp points or edges, known as "charge concentration." However, the total charge on the conductor will remain the same.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of charge induction and the distribution of charges on conductors with cavities. If you would like more information or examples, I suggest searching for "charge induction experiments" or "Faraday cage demonstrations" online. There are many resources available that can provide visual demonstrations of these concepts.

Related to Charges on Faraday ice bucket like conductors

1. What is a Faraday ice bucket?

A Faraday ice bucket is a conductive container that is used to store and transport ice. It is made of a conductive material, such as metal, which allows for the transfer of electrical charges.

2. How does a Faraday ice bucket protect against electrical charges?

A Faraday ice bucket works by redistributing electrical charges evenly along its surface. This prevents any one area from building up a large amount of charge, which could be dangerous.

3. Can a Faraday ice bucket prevent electric shocks?

Yes, a Faraday ice bucket can prevent electric shocks. When a person touches the bucket, any excess electrical charges on their body will be transferred to the bucket and dispersed evenly, avoiding the risk of a dangerous shock.

4. How does the shape of the Faraday ice bucket affect its effectiveness?

The shape of the Faraday ice bucket does not affect its effectiveness in protecting against electrical charges. As long as the bucket is made of a conductive material and has a continuous surface, it will work as a Faraday cage.

5. Can a Faraday ice bucket be used for other purposes besides storing ice?

Yes, a Faraday ice bucket can be used for other purposes, as long as it is made of a conductive material and has a continuous surface. It can be used to protect sensitive electronic equipment from electromagnetic interference, or to safely handle materials that generate static electricity.