Cheap and Good Laser Safety Glasses

In summary: Their lasers are of high quality and usually very affordable. I would recommend consulting with a laser manufacturer if you are looking for a more reliable option.
jspear
I'm looking for a laser safety glasses. The biggest laser I'm going to use is a <20 mW green (532±10 nm) laser, with no infrared leakage (though I checked it with only a phone camera in night-vision mode), so I will need something good enough for this. I also have other green and red lasers, but all of them is <5 mW.

Any suggestion for a vendor that could provide cheap but good safety glasses?

Science news on Phys.org
jspear, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I am assuming here that you were born with and still have two functioning eyes. If that's true, how could you possibly risk permanent damage to them by soliciting protection advice here? Do you trust your measurement with your cellphone camera enough to risk your eyesight? Someone may unknowingly refer you to a safety glass vendor that produces a faulty product, you would acquire it, use it, and then suffer permanent damage to your eyes!

Besides the logical argument, there is a liability issue here on PF, I guess. I refuse to suggest, as you asked for (good but cheap), any vendor. What if the best protection is expensive? May I suggest you consult with a trusted expert in the field? Perhaps the laser manufacturer itself?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Hi Bob, thanks for the fast reply. :smile:

Bobbywhy said:
What if the best protection is expensive?

I can tolerate expensive things, what I don't want is to get ripped off.

Bobbywhy said:
May I suggest you consult with a trusted expert in the field? Perhaps the laser manufacturer itself?

Actually, this is the reason I'm forced to look for help in the Internet. Let's just say that in my country, education and science are not a priority, and finding a good-enough expert is really hard. Is there anyone that you could suggest me to consult to?

I highly recommend investing in a reliable and high-quality pair of laser safety glasses, rather than opting for a cheap option. Laser safety glasses are crucial in protecting your eyes from potential harm caused by laser radiation. The <20 mW green laser you plan to use may seem low power, but it can still cause damage to your eyes if not properly protected.

I recommend purchasing laser safety glasses from a reputable vendor that specializes in laser safety equipment. Look for glasses that are specifically designed for the wavelength and power of the laser you will be using. It is also important to check for certification and compliance with industry standards, such as the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) or International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).

While it may be tempting to save money by purchasing cheaper glasses, keep in mind that the quality and effectiveness of these glasses may be compromised. In the long run, investing in high-quality laser safety glasses will provide better protection for your eyes and potentially save you from costly medical expenses.

In conclusion, I strongly advise against compromising on the quality of your laser safety glasses and recommend researching and investing in a reputable vendor that offers certified and suitable glasses for your specific laser use. Your eyesight is invaluable, and it is important to prioritize safety in any scientific endeavor.

Related to Cheap and Good Laser Safety Glasses

1. How do I know if the laser safety glasses are actually good quality?

There are a few factors to consider when determining the quality of laser safety glasses. Look for glasses that meet the appropriate safety standards and have been tested by a reputable organization. Additionally, check for features such as a high optical density and appropriate wavelength coverage for the type of laser you will be working with.

2. Are cheap laser safety glasses effective?

Cheap laser safety glasses can be effective if they meet the necessary safety standards and have been properly tested. However, it is important to ensure that the glasses are specifically designed for the type of laser you will be working with, as different lasers emit different wavelengths and require different levels of protection.

3. Why are some laser safety glasses more expensive than others?

The price of laser safety glasses can vary based on several factors, including the materials used, the level of protection they offer, and any additional features such as anti-fog or anti-scratch coatings. It is important to choose glasses that meet the necessary safety standards and provide adequate protection for your specific laser use.

4. Can I use the same laser safety glasses for all types of lasers?

No, it is important to use laser safety glasses that are specifically designed for the type of laser you will be working with. Different lasers emit different wavelengths and require different levels of protection, so using the wrong glasses can be dangerous.

5. How long do laser safety glasses last?

The lifespan of laser safety glasses can vary depending on use and care. It is recommended to replace them every 2-3 years, or sooner if they become damaged or scratched. Regularly inspecting and cleaning your glasses can help prolong their lifespan.