Cheap Infrared Camera for Detecting Human Heat - $30 or Less!

In summary, a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat is available for $30 or less. This camera uses infrared technology to detect body heat and can be used for a variety of purposes such as home security or outdoor activities. It is a cost-effective option for those who need a basic infrared camera without breaking the bank. With a price of $30 or less, it is an affordable and accessible option for individuals looking to incorporate infrared technology into their daily lives.
sphoenixee
I need a super cheap (under $30ish) infrared camera for detecting human body heat to confirm the presence of the person, i.e. it doesn't have to record exact temperatures or create clear images, but just record the presence of the person. No visible camera is needed, just infrared. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

sphoenixee

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's no way you'll be able to get a thermal vision (long-wave IR) camera for under $30. :rolleyes: I suggest looking into night vision or low-lux cameras instead.

sphoenixee said:
I need a super cheap (under $30ish) infrared camera for detecting human body heat to confirm the presence of the person, i.e. it doesn't have to record exact temperatures or create clear images, but just record the presence of the person. No visible camera is needed, just infrared. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

sphoenixee
Do you need images, or is an IR sensor adequate? Many can be had quite inexpensively.

Most black and white stuff will go into the near infrared. Stick a filter on the lens, and you may be in buisness.

If you don't need any image, how about a motion detector from an alarm system or automatic floodlight?

Danger said:
If you don't need any image, how about a motion detector from an alarm system or automatic floodlight?
That's what I was thinking about, too. There are some battery-powered sensors in automatic sprinklers that make a heck of a racket to scare deer out of your garden. Have a Hart sells them for less than $30, and you can dial down the sensitivity to ignore small signals and trigger on the big ones (people, deer, dogs). You even get a built-in 8-second reset, so if you want the sensor to trigger to do something once, you don't get multiple triggers with a persistent presence.

Right. And those stupid yodelling fish and talking skulls and crap like that all use cheap IR proximity sensors.

First, thanks to everyone for all the responses and sorry for my late response.

I think an IR sensor would be enough for my purposes. A motion sensor would not work as I need the sensor to only detect people and not boxes/bags/other large objects. To clarify further, I only need it to detect people and nothing else, and I also need it to have a somewhat wide angle, 40 deg and up, as well as a max range of roughly 1 meter. The IR sensors in the skulls/fish sound very good.

Can anyone recommend me either a website or a product with a link?

----

turbo-1, I tried googling have a Hart, but couldn't find any of their IR sensors. Found some traps tho, and also this forum :smile:

NateTG said:
Most black and white stuff will go into the near
infrared. Stick a filter on the lens, and you may be in buisness.

What do you mean by sticking a filter on the lens?

Once more, many thanks to all for the responses,

sphoenixee

Last edited:
Sphoenixee, the motion detectors from modern alarm systems don't simply detect motion. It has to be a moving heat source that crosses two or more 'fingers' of the sensor grid. Still, that would appear to be more elaborate and expensive than you need.
As for finding the fish, pretty much any really cheesy novelty store or small-Hickville hardware store probably has them. In case there was any ambiguity, what I'm referring to is "Billy the Bigmouth Bass" or one of its many imitators. If you do use one, please take pictures; I'd love to watch someone rip the guts out of one of those irritating little bastards. I'd even more love to just mail you the one that W has hanging in our entry hall, but she'd skin me. :grumpy: (At least she has sense enough to not put batteries in it.)

This came up a while back.

Remove the filter from the front of a webcam.

Hey presto.

Quiet, Brewnog. :grumpy:
I want to watch him mutilate that bass.

:biggrin:

Thanks danger and brewmog. I'll your suggestions. lol mutilating basses...

NateTG said:
Most black and white stuff will go into the near infrared. Stick a filter on the lens, and you may be in buisness.

Actually, it's usually a case of taking out a filter. A lot of webcams have a filter to filter out infra-red, which you can take out.

EDIT: I was beat to it.

1. What is an infrared camera and how does it work?

An infrared camera is a device that uses infrared radiation to create images of objects or bodies based on their temperature. It detects and measures the infrared radiation emitted by objects and converts it into an image visible to the human eye.

2. How can a cheap infrared camera detect human heat?

Infrared cameras are designed to detect differences in temperature. Since the human body emits infrared radiation, an infrared camera can detect this heat and create an image of the human body based on the variations in temperature. This makes it a useful tool for detecting humans in low light or obscured environments.

3. What are the benefits of using a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat?

The main benefit of using a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat is cost-effectiveness. These cameras are more affordable compared to traditional thermal imaging cameras, making them accessible to a wider range of users. They are also portable and easy to use, making them a convenient tool for various applications such as search and rescue operations or security monitoring.

4. What are some potential uses for a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat?

A cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat can be used in a variety of settings. It can be used for surveillance and security purposes, as well as for detecting human presence in search and rescue operations. It can also be useful for detecting thermal leaks in buildings or for monitoring body temperature in healthcare settings.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat?

While a cheap infrared camera can be a useful tool, it may have some limitations compared to more expensive and advanced thermal imaging cameras. These limitations may include lower image quality and a shorter detection range. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of a particular application before choosing a cheap infrared camera for detecting human heat.