Check my understanding of electrical energy please.

In summary: Thanks!Hi user111_23,I'm sort of a physics newb so bear with me. :tongue:I learned that electrical energy is in the form of EM waves/fields. So I'm trying to see whether the PE supplied to a charge through voltage is also electromagnetic energy. Weird question, I know.Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "electrical energy is in the form of EM waves/fields"?
user111_23
When work is done on a Coulomb of charge, it gains potential energy equal to the amount of work done on it. Now, since this charge is moving, it's electric field is changing. Because of that, a changing magnetic field surrounds a charge. Now, since this only happens when the Coulomb is moved by a voltage, the PE of the charge will be in the form of an electromagnetic field. This energy does work on devices when the fields set up voltage drops across them.

Any issues here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplified: My assumption is that electrical potential energy is in the form of EM or electric fields.

Wow, tough crowd. I guess I make really confusing topics.

user111_23 said:
Wow, tough crowd. I guess I make really confusing topics.

LOL. Well, at least for me, I didn't respond because you were neglecting frequency and resonance effects, which have a big influence on what happens with moving charges and EM radiation energy propagating away.

If you slowly move charge, you will get a change in energy that corresponds to the traditional DC energy equations (like energy stored on a cap). If you quickly move charges (with respect to the size of the conductors that you are moving them along), then you will get some EM losses.

Could you please be more specific about your question? Geometry, frequeency, etc.? Thanks.

Hi user111_23! :smile:

(btw, it's "coulomb", with a small "c", same as any other unit :wink:)
user111_23 said:
When work is done on a Coulomb of charge, it gains potential energy equal to the amount of work done on it. Now, since this charge is moving, it's electric field is changing. Because of that, a changing magnetic field surrounds a charge. Now, since this only happens when the Coulomb is moved by a voltage, the PE of the charge will be in the form of an electromagnetic field. This energy does work on devices when the fields set up voltage drops across them.

Any issues here?

PE is another name for work done by a conservative force.

A magnetic field surrounds a charge only if the charge is moving (relative to a particular observer).

The PE of the charge is the result of having moved through an external field.

What does the field of the charge itself have to do with it? And how can PE (a scalar) be "in the form of a field"? :confused:

berkeman said:
LOL. Well, at least for me, I didn't respond because you were neglecting frequency and resonance effects, which have a big influence on what happens with moving charges and EM radiation energy propagating away.

If you slowly move charge, you will get a change in energy that corresponds to the traditional DC energy equations (like energy stored on a cap). If you quickly move charges (with respect to the size of the conductors that you are moving them along), then you will get some EM losses.

Could you please be more specific about your question? Geometry, frequeency, etc.? Thanks.

I'm sort of a physics newb so bear with me. :-p

I learned that electrical energy is in the form of EM waves/fields. So I'm trying to see whether the PE supplied to a charge through voltage is also electromagnetic energy. Weird question, I know.

tiny-tim said:
Hi user111_23! :smile:

(btw, it's "coulomb", with a small "c", same as any other unit :wink:)PE is another name for work done by a conservative force.

A magnetic field surrounds a charge only if the charge is moving (relative to a particular observer).

The PE of the charge is the result of having moved through an external field.

What does the field of the charge itself have to do with it? And how can PE (a scalar) be "in the form of a field"? :confused:

yea that's what I'm thinking too, to me, PE and the EM fields of a charge is unrelated

user111_23 perhaps you could clarify the question a bit or give more detail on your hypothesis

Related to Check my understanding of electrical energy please.

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that is associated with the flow of electric current through a conductor. It is a type of energy that can be easily converted into other forms, such as light, heat, or mechanical energy.

2. How is electrical energy measured?

Electrical energy is measured in units of watt-hours (Wh) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). These units represent the amount of energy consumed by an electrical device over a period of time, and are commonly used by utility companies to bill for energy usage.

3. What are the sources of electrical energy?

Electrical energy can be generated from a variety of sources, including fossil fuels (such as coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear power, and renewable sources (such as solar, wind, and hydro). Each of these sources involves a different process for converting energy into electricity.

4. How is electrical energy transmitted?

Electrical energy is typically transmitted through power lines, which are made up of conductive materials such as copper or aluminum. The electricity travels through these lines at high voltages to minimize energy loss, and is then stepped down to lower voltages for use in homes and businesses.

5. How can we conserve electrical energy?

There are many ways to conserve electrical energy, including using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and utilizing renewable energy sources. It is also important to be mindful of our energy usage and make small changes in our daily habits to reduce our overall energy consumption.