Check Thread Labels & Report for Re-Labeling to Avoid Spam

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter m4r35n357
  • Start date
In summary: No, it was checking to see if you actually have done something. To me, this is a lesser issue than people who keep posting HW questions in the wrong forum.
m4r35n357
If thread labels are to mean anything, might I suggest that these should be checked whenever answering, and reported for re-labeling if appropriate.

It happens on many occasions that a basic or unresearched question is answered several times, seemingly without people noticing.

Surely this makes the whole filtering exercise pointless. What do others think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the question level labels - B, I, A ?

DrClaude said:
Are you talking about the question level labels - B, I, A ?
Yes

From time to time, we do relabel some threads. This can be clear for instance when an "A" level thread's OP is at best an "I" level question. Sometimes, it is more tricky. The level is supposed to be set at the level at which the poster would like the answer to be.

It is also unfortunate when someone replies at the "A" level in a "B" thread, but the best we can do then is to point out in thread the the answer is at a too high level. As for "A" answers in "I" threads (or "I" answer in "B" thread), they can be ok when they complement an answer at the right level, to allow the poster to look ahead or for a more complete answer for someone else reading the thread.

There is no perfect system, but it is still helpful. Let's hope everyone pays more attention to the labels!

Likes dlgoff, Wrichik Basu, berkeman and 1 other person
m4r35n357 said:
If thread labels are to mean anything, might I suggest that these should be checked whenever answering, and reported for re-labeling if appropriate.

It happens on many occasions that a basic or unresearched question is answered several times, seemingly without people noticing.

Surely this makes the whole filtering exercise pointless. What do others think?

Have you yourself made any effort to report a thread that you feel did not have the appropriate label?

There are no additional steps that need to be done here to the running of the forum. If a member sees a thread that does not have the appropriate label, report it! It is as simple as that.

Zz.

Likes Wrichik Basu
ZapperZ said:
Have you yourself made any effort to report a thread that you feel did not have the appropriate label?
Yes. Many times. Was that supposed to catch me out? ;)

m4r35n357 said:
Yes. Many times. Was that supposed to catch me out? ;)

No, it was checking to see if you actually have done something. To me, this is a lesser issue than people who keep posting HW questions in the wrong forum.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of checking thread labels and reporting for re-labeling?

The purpose of checking thread labels and reporting for re-labeling is to avoid spam on online platforms. By reviewing thread labels and reporting any that may be misleading or irrelevant, we can ensure that the content being shared is accurate and relevant to the discussion at hand.

2. How often should thread labels be checked and reported for re-labeling?

Ideally, thread labels should be checked and reported for re-labeling on a regular basis, such as once a week or every few days. This will help to keep the content on the platform up-to-date and minimize the spread of spam.

3. What types of thread labels should be reported for re-labeling?

Any thread labels that are misleading, irrelevant, or potentially spam should be reported for re-labeling. This includes labels that are overly promotional, contain false information, or are unrelated to the topic being discussed.

4. How can I report a thread label for re-labeling?

To report a thread label for re-labeling, look for a "report" or "flag" button next to the label. Click on this button and follow the prompts to report the label to the platform's moderators. You may also be able to directly contact the moderators or administrators of the platform to report the label.

5. What should I do if I come across a thread label that I believe is spam?

If you come across a thread label that you believe is spam, you should report it to the platform's moderators or administrators as soon as possible. Do not engage with the content or click on any links within the label, as this may only encourage the spread of spam. Reporting the label will help to keep the platform free of spam and ensure that the content being shared is accurate and relevant.