Checking my understanding (re. wedge product) of a passage in Bishop & Goldberg

In summary, the rank of a skew-symmetric bilinear form can be expressed as the minimum number of vectors needed to represent it. This can be done using either tensor products or exterior products. The coefficients b_{ij} in the quote refer to the usual coefficients b(e_i,e_j) and not 2b(e_i,e_j), as originally thought.
Rasalhague
The rank of a skew-symmetric bilinear form is the minimum number of vectors in terms of which it can be expressed. We may think of a skew-symmetric bilinear form [itex]b[/itex] on [itex]V[/itex] as being in [itex]\wedge^2V^*[/itex]. If [itex]b[/itex] can be written in terms of [itex]\varepsilon^1...\varepsilon^r[/itex], then we may discard any independent [itex]\varepsilon^i[/itex]'s and extend to a basis, getting

[tex]b = b_{ij}\varepsilon^i \otimes \varepsilon^j, \enspace\enspace \text{where } b_{ij} = 0 \text{ unless } i,j \leq r,[/tex]

[tex]=b_{ij}\varepsilon^i \wedge \varepsilon^j, \enspace\enspace \text{since } b_{ij} = -b_{ji},[/tex]

so it does not matter, in the definition of rank, whether the mode of expressing [itex]b[/itex] is in terms of tensor products or exterior products.

- Bishop & Goldberg: Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, Dover 1980, §2.23, pp. 111-112

Given that Bishop and Goldberg's definition of the exterior product is

[tex]\alpha \wedge \beta := (\alpha \otimes \beta)_a[/tex]

where

[tex]\omega_a(v_1,...,v_s):=\frac{1}{s!}\sum_{(i_1,...,i_s)}\text{sgn}(i_1,...,i_s)A(v_{i_1},...v_{i_s}),[/tex]

giving, in this case,

[tex]\alpha\wedge\beta=\frac{1}{2}(\alpha\otimes\beta-\beta\otimes\alpha),[/tex]

am I right in thinking that the coefficients [itex]b_{ij}[/itex] in the quote above are not [itex]b(e_i,e_j)[/itex], but rather [itex]b_{ij} = 2b(e_i,e_j)[/itex]?

By [itex](e_i)[/itex], I mean the basis for [itex]V[/itex] with dual basis [itex](\varepsilon^i)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, no, looking again at this, I think they must mean the usual coefficient [itex]b_{ij}=b(e_i,e_j)[/itex] after all.

A factor of 2 would be needed to convert components with respect to a tensor product basis [itex](\varepsilon^i\otimes\varepsilon^j)[/itex] for [itex]T^0_2[/itex] (all permutations of the indices) to the corresponding wedge product basis [itex](\varepsilon^i\wedge\varepsilon^j)[/itex] (only increasing permutations) for [itex]\wedge^2 V^*[/itex]. But in this case, I think, they're not restricting the indices to only increasing permutations.

So, for example, if [itex]\text{dim} V = 3[/itex] and [itex]b=b_{12} \varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 + b_{21} \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1[/itex], where [itex]b_{12}=-b_{21}[/itex], we have

[tex]b=b_{12} \varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 + b_{21} \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1[/tex]

[tex]=b_{12} \varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 - b_{12} \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1[/tex]

[tex]=b_{12} (\varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 - \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}b_{12} (2\varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 - 2\varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}b_{12} (\varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 - \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1 - \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1 + \varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}b_{12} (\varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2 - \varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1) - \frac{1}{2}b_{12}(\varepsilon^2\otimes\varepsilon^1-\varepsilon^1\otimes\varepsilon^2)[/tex]

[tex]=b_{12} \, \varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2 - b_{12} \, \varepsilon^2\wedge\varepsilon^1[/tex]

[tex]=b_{12} \, \varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2 + b_{21} \, \varepsilon^2\wedge\varepsilon^1,[/tex]

just as they claim.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of checking my understanding of the wedge product in Bishop & Goldberg?

The purpose of checking your understanding of the wedge product in Bishop & Goldberg is to ensure that you have a clear understanding of this mathematical concept and how it is used in the context of Bishop & Goldberg's work. This will help you to accurately interpret and apply the information presented in the passage.

2. What is the wedge product and how does it differ from other mathematical operations?

The wedge product is a mathematical operation used in multilinear algebra to combine two vectors into a new vector. It differs from other operations, such as addition and multiplication, in that it produces a new vector that is perpendicular to the original two vectors and has a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

3. How can I check my understanding of the wedge product in Bishop & Goldberg?

To check your understanding of the wedge product in Bishop & Goldberg, you can try solving practice problems, discussing the concept with others, or reviewing your notes and readings on the topic. Additionally, you may find it helpful to break down the concept into smaller parts and make connections between the wedge product and other mathematical concepts you are familiar with.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about the wedge product?

Yes, there are some common misconceptions about the wedge product. One is that it is the same as the cross product, which is only true in three-dimensional space. Another misconception is that the wedge product is commutative, when in fact it is anti-commutative. It is important to check your understanding of the wedge product to avoid these and other misconceptions.

5. How can understanding the wedge product help me in my scientific research?

Understanding the wedge product can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can help with calculations involving vectors and their orientations, as well as with describing and analyzing geometric shapes and transformations. Additionally, the wedge product is used in many advanced mathematical concepts, so having a strong understanding of it can benefit your overall mathematical proficiency.