Chelsea's question at Yahoo Answers regarding functions and optimization

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a homework problem. The problem involves finding the radius and area of a sector, and determining the maximum area. The conversation includes a link to the question and a detailed explanation of the solution, using both algebra and calculus. The final answer for the maximum area is 900 cm^2.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I need help on a HW problem - I got the first two parts right, but am having trouble finishing the last two?

I need help on a HW problem - I got the first two parts right, but am having trouble finishing the last two parts.

The figure shows a sector with radius r and angle θ in radians. The total perimeter of the sector is 120 cm.

(a) Express θ as a function of r.

I got
Theta = 2r-120/-r

(b) Express the area of the sector as a function of r.
I got A=1/2 * r^2 * (2r-120/-r)

Now these are the two that I am having trouble figuring out.

(c) For what radius r is the area a maximum?
in cm
and

(d) What is the maximum area?
in cm^2I have to answer them as exact answers - no decimals allowed. Is there anyone who would be willing to walk me through this?

Thanks.

Here is a link to the question:

I need help on a HW problem - I got the first two parts right, but am having trouble finishing the last two? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Chelsea,

You have made a minor error in part (a), so let's work this problem from the beginning. All linear measures will be in cm.

(a) Express $\theta$ as a function of $r$.

From the information regarding the perimeter of the sector, we may state the following:

\(\displaystyle 2r+r\theta=120\)

Now, we wish to solve for $\theta$. We may begin by subtracting through by $2r$ to get:

\(\displaystyle r\theta=120-2r\)

Now, we may divide through by $r$ to get:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{120}{r}-2\)

Thus, we have expressed $\theta$ as a function of $r$.

(b) Express the area of the sector as a function of $r$.

The area $A$ of a circular sector is given by:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta\)

Now we merely need to substitute for $\theta$, and simplify:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}r^2\left(\frac{120}{r}-2 \right)=60r-r^2\)

Thus, we have expressed $A$ as a function of $r$.

(c) For what radius $r$ is the area a maximum?

We could observe that the area function is a quadratic in $r$, with the roots $r=0,\,60$ and thus the axis of symmetry must be the line $r=30$ which is where the vertex is. Since the area function is a parabola opening down, we know the vertex is at the global maximum, and so $A$ is maximized for $r=30$.

You may however be expected to use differential calculus to maximize the function, and so we find by differentiating with respect to $r$ and equating to zero:

\(\displaystyle A'(r)=60-2r=0\,\therefore\,30-r=0\,\therefore\,r=30\)

Now since we have \(\displaystyle A''(r)=-2<0\), we know by the second derivative test that the extremum we have found is a maximum.

(d) What is the maximum area? in cm^2

To find the maximum area, we let $r=30$ in the area function:

\(\displaystyle A_{\text{max}}=A(30)=60(30)-30^2=30^2(2-1)=900\text{ cm}^2\)

To Chelsea and any other guests viewing this topic, I would invite and encourage you to post other optimization problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Chelsea's question at Yahoo Answers regarding functions and optimization

1. What is the difference between a function and an optimization problem?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where the output value is determined by the input values. An optimization problem involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function within a given set of constraints.

2. How do you know when to use optimization techniques in a function?

Optimization techniques are typically used when there is a specific goal or objective to be achieved, and the function involves multiple variables and constraints. For example, finding the maximum profit for a business based on different pricing strategies would require optimization techniques.

3. What are some common methods for solving optimization problems?

Some common methods for solving optimization problems include gradient descent, linear programming, and genetic algorithms. These methods involve using mathematical and computational techniques to find the optimal solution to a given problem.

4. Can optimization problems be solved analytically or do they require numerical methods?

It depends on the complexity of the problem. Simple optimization problems with only a few variables and constraints can be solved analytically using calculus. However, for more complex problems, numerical methods such as gradient descent or genetic algorithms are often used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of optimization problems?

Yes, optimization problems have many real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, and data science. Some examples include optimizing investment portfolios, designing efficient transportation systems, and finding the most accurate predictive models for data analysis.