Chemical Kinetics Radioactivity

In summary: No, the other two interpretations are more likely to be correct. So go with the second interpretation.No, the other two interpretations are more likely to be correct. So go with the second interpretation.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The mean life of a certain radioactive element is 6 hrs. By what fraction will its initial activity decrease over a time period of 5 hrs.

Homework Equations

[itex]t_{avg}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex]
Initial Activity = kN[itex]_{0}[/itex]
Final Activity = kN[itex]_{t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From eqn 1 I obtain the value of k = 0.166 hr[itex]^{-1}[/itex]
Since I have to calculate the fraction of initial and final activity
Dividing eqn 2 by 3
[itex]\frac{Initial Activity}{Final Activity}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{N_{0}}{N_{t}}[/itex]
So this means now I have to calculate [itex]\frac{N_{0}}{N_{t}}[/itex] which will be my answer

So using first order kinetics equation

k=[itex]\frac{2.303}{5}[/itex]log[itex]\frac{N_{0}}{N_{t}}[/itex]

Plugging the known values I get [itex]\frac{N_{0}}{N_{t}}[/itex]=2.3006
which is unfortunately incorrect. But how?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to the 0.166 /hr which you went to so much trouble to calculate?

And remember that the factor 2.303 only applies for logs with base 10; for natural logs and exponentials it disappears.

And finally, the question "by what fraction will it decrease?" is ambiguous. The wording might mean "what fraction of the initial activity is the final activity?" or "by what fraction of the initial activity has the final activity decreased?" To give an example, if the final activity was found to be 25% of the initial activity, was the questioner really expecting the answer 25% or 75%? But in either case, an answer greater than 1 does not make sense.

JohnRC said:
What happened to the 0.166 /hr which you went to so much trouble to calculate?

And remember that the factor 2.303 only applies for logs with base 10; for natural logs and exponentials it disappears.

And finally, the question "by what fraction will it decrease?" is ambiguous. The wording might mean "what fraction of the initial activity is the final activity?" or "by what fraction of the initial activity has the final activity decreased?" To give an example, if the final activity was found to be 25% of the initial activity, was the questioner really expecting the answer 25% or 75%? But in either case, an answer greater than 1 does not make sense.

Yes I also agree with you but the correct answer is itself greater than 1.

utkarshakash said:
Yes I also agree with you but the correct answer is itself greater than 1.

OK, so the ambiguity has a third and a fourth string:

Interpretation 1: (final activity)/(initial activity)
Interpretation 2: (Initial activity – final activity)/(Initial activity)
Interpretation 3: (Initial activity – final activity)/(final activity)
Interpretation 4: (Initial activity)/(final activity)

The problem setter must surely have been seeking an award for the most ambiguous problem wording! Any one of those four is a reasonable interpretation of the actual wording!

JohnRC said:
OK, so the ambiguity has a third and a fourth string:

Interpretation 1: (final activity)/(initial activity)
Interpretation 2: (Initial activity – final activity)/(Initial activity)
Interpretation 3: (Initial activity – final activity)/(final activity)
Interpretation 4: (Initial activity)/(final activity)

The problem setter must surely have been seeking an award for the most ambiguous problem wording! Any one of those four is a reasonable interpretation of the actual wording!

I have already tried 1 and 4 and they did not work. Give me some hints for 2 and 3.

OK I have had another look at the detail of your work.
Plugging the known values I get N0Nt=2.3006
which is unfortunately incorrect. But how?

Your answer is quite correct. The other three possible answers according to my last posting would be (1) 0.43 (2) 0.57 or (3) 1.30. The 2.30 you have quoted is the correct value for option (4).

To understand how to arrive at (2) and (3) simply separate each of the two terms in the fraction in my formulae for these interpretations.

JohnRC said:
OK I have had another look at the detail of your work.

Your answer is quite correct. The other three possible answers according to my last posting would be (1) 0.43 (2) 0.57 or (3) 1.30. The 2.30 you have quoted is the correct value for option (4).

To understand how to arrive at (2) and (3) simply separate each of the two terms in the fraction in my formulae for these interpretations.

OK the correct answer is 1.0565. But none of the interpretations match with the answer. Only the 3rd interpretation is somewhat close to the answer. So should I go with the third interpretation of yours?

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them. It involves understanding the mechanisms of reactions, the speed at which they occur, and how they can be controlled or manipulated.

2. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of radiation from unstable atomic nuclei. This radiation can take the form of alpha, beta, or gamma particles. It is a natural process that occurs in certain elements and can also be induced through artificial means.

3. How is radioactivity related to chemical kinetics?

Radioactive decay, a type of nuclear reaction, follows first-order kinetics. This means that the rate of decay is directly proportional to the amount of radioactive material present. Chemical kinetics is used to study and understand this relationship in radioactive decay.

4. What factors affect the rate of radioactivity?

The rate of radioactivity can be affected by several factors, including the type of radioactive material, the concentration of the material, temperature, and the presence of catalysts. External factors, such as radiation exposure and shielding, can also influence the rate of radioactivity.

5. How is the half-life of a radioactive element determined?

The half-life of a radioactive element is the time it takes for half of the material to decay. It can be determined through experimental measurements of the rate of decay, which follow first-order kinetics. The half-life is a constant value for each radioactive isotope and can be used to calculate the amount of time it takes for a given amount of material to decay completely.