How Much EDTA Is Needed to Neutralize Calcium in a 44-Gallon Drum?

Calculate mass of EDTA needed to complex all of the calcium in one drum. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) in complexing metals, specifically calcium, in an aqueous waste. The molecular formula for EDTA is given and it is assumed that one EDTA molecule complexes with one metal atom. The problem then asks to calculate the amount of EDTA needed to complex all of the calcium in a 44-gallon drum of the waste.
Jim4592

Homework Statement

Ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) is a water-soluble compound that readily combines with metals, such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. The molecular formula for EDTA is C10N2O8H16. Assume one EDTA molecule complexes (associates with) one metal atom.

A factory produces an aqueous waste that contains 20 mg/L calcium and collects the waste in 44-gallon drums. What mass of EDTA would be need to be added to each drum to completely complex all of the calcium in the barrel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to go about this one, i started off trying a few things but it ended up at a dead end...here's what I got so far:

0.02 g/L * 1 mol Ca / 40.078 g Ca * X mol EDTA / 1 mol Ca * 294.24 g EDTA / 1 mol EDTA

I realized this wasn't getting me any closer to an answer so that's why I'm asking for any help you guys can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate number of moles of Ca in 44 gallons.

1. What is a chemistry complex problem?

A chemistry complex problem is a challenge or issue that requires a thorough understanding of chemistry principles and concepts to solve. It often involves multiple steps and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do you approach a chemistry complex problem?

The first step in approaching a chemistry complex problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, apply relevant concepts and principles to each part and work towards a solution. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or create a step-by-step plan.

3. What are some common chemistry complex problems?

Common chemistry complex problems include balancing chemical equations, calculating molar mass and stoichiometry, identifying unknown compounds through various tests, and predicting products of chemical reactions.

4. How can practice help with solving chemistry complex problems?

Practice is essential for improving problem-solving skills in chemistry. By working on various problems and challenges, one can become more familiar with different concepts and methods, making it easier to approach and solve complex problems.

5. What resources are available to help with chemistry complex problems?

There are many resources available to help with chemistry complex problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, study groups, and seeking help from teachers or tutors. It is also important to take advantage of any resources provided by the specific chemistry class or course.

Back