Chemistry- Electron Affinity very confused

In summary, the atoms in electron affinity can be ranked from smallest to largest as G, H, and K. It can be observed that ionization energy and electron affinity tend to follow the same trend, with the highest values being found in F. However, there are slight differences in the details of these two measurements. When looking at the atoms in the diagram, it can be seen that the one most likely to gain an electron and have the highest electron affinity would be the one with the lowest energy state.
Null_

Homework Statement

e3-16.gif

Rank the atoms in electron affinity, from smallest to largest.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

G has the highest energy, followed by H then K. I looked at the diagram and saw that-
G= 1s^2 2s^1 (Li)
H= 1s^1 (H)
K= 1s^2 (He)

I know that ionization energy and electron affinity both are very high at F. There was a question about the IE, and I got it right as GHK. I thought that IE and EA were related to each other...IE is the want to become a cation (Which the top right surely doesn't want to do), and EA is the change in E when an e- is added...adding an e- to F takes a lot of E, but it's very stable.

I thought that the EA from low to high is the same as IE (GHK). I don't see why it isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
They tend to follow the same trend, because they both measure how much an atom 'likes' electrons. The details are a little different however. You're definitely on the right track: IE is how much energy is required to remove an electron, and EA is how much energy is gained when an electron is added.

Looking at the atoms in the figure, compare the energy of the current state with the energy of adding another electron (think about the octet rule mostly); which atom would be 'happiest' to gain an electron?

Related to Chemistry- Electron Affinity very confused

What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released or absorbed when an atom gains an electron in its outermost energy level.

How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

What factors affect an atom's electron affinity?

The main factors that affect an atom's electron affinity are its atomic radius, the number of protons in its nucleus, and the number of electrons in its outermost energy level.

What does a positive electron affinity mean?

A positive electron affinity indicates that the atom releases energy when it gains an electron, making it more stable. This is common for nonmetals.

What does a negative electron affinity mean?

A negative electron affinity means that the atom absorbs energy when it gains an electron, making it less stable. This is common for metals.