Chess board probability

In summary: All you need to know is the number of squares in each category.In summary, there is a 1 in 196 chance that two squares on a chessboard will share an exact corner.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

2 squares are chosen at random from a chess board.What is the chance that these 2 squares will share exactly 1 corner?

Homework Equations

P=favourable possibilities/Total possibilities

The Attempt at a Solution

So,the total no of possibilities should be 64C2.
Now,for favourable...
For the 4 corners,only 1 square is possible,so 4 cases.
For one side(excluding the corners) there can be 2 squares for every square we choose.,i.e
6×2=12 cases in on side...48 cases for all sides.
Now,we are done with the borders and are just left with the middle ones.
For each middle one there can be 4 possible squares..i.e,
36×4=144 cases
Summing up,we get P=(4+48+144)/64C2
=196/64C2
Is this correct or have i missed (or added) something?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are double counting.

Ooh yeah..I got it..so how do you suggest I find out the possible cases?
I see now that there are lots of repetitions,so it won't be possible to subtract them..i guess.
So,i think I need a new method.

Well, you can either count combinations (in which case you are double counting in the nominator) or you count ordered combinations (in which case you are under-counting the denominator by a factor of two).

I didn't get you..how exactly??
Say I take unordered pairs(I'll divide the entire thing by 2 in the end)
Now how do I find out how many pairs exist on a chessboard which have only one corner in common?

What do you mean? You already counted the ordered pairs in the first post. Your counting essentially was picking the first square of the ordered pair and checking the possibilities for placing the second.

Oh...so you are saying that just dividing the entire thing by 2 will give my answer?

Right.

There is a slightly quicker way. Count the possible corners, then double.

Likes PeroK and Orodruin
haruspex said:
Umm...sorry??
Possible corners of which square?
The one which is itself at the corner,the one at the side or the one in the middle?

Tanishq Nandan said:
Umm...sorry??
Possible corners of which square?
The one which is itself at the corner,the one at the side or the one in the middle?
For every corner (i.e., where 4 squares meet) in the interior of the board, there are two possible (unordered) pairs, white-white and black-black. You are computing the total number of possible pairs of squares that are diagonally adjacent. Since there are 49 such crossings, the number of unordered diagonal pairs is 49*2 = 98. Divide with the total number of unordered pairs 64C2 and you get your probability.

haruspex said:

There's also a slower way to do it. Work out the probability directly where the first square is a corner, edge or interior.

The good thing about the slow way is that you don't have to be so clever to get the answer.

1. What is the probability of a knight landing on a specific square on a chessboard in one move?

The probability of a knight landing on a specific square on a chessboard in one move is 1/64 or approximately 1.56%. This is because a knight's move consists of 8 possible directions, and each direction has a 2/8 chance of landing on the desired square. Therefore, the overall probability is (2/8) x (1/8) = 1/64.

2. What is the probability of a rook traveling from one corner of the chessboard to the opposite corner in exactly 4 moves?

The probability of a rook traveling from one corner of the chessboard to the opposite corner in exactly 4 moves is (4/15)^2 or approximately 4.44%. This is because a rook can only move in straight lines, and there are 4 possible directions it can move in each turn. Therefore, the overall probability is (4/15) x (4/15) = (4/15)^2.

3. What is the probability that a randomly placed queen on a chessboard will be able to attack another randomly placed queen?

The probability that a randomly placed queen on a chessboard will be able to attack another randomly placed queen is 2/63 or approximately 3.17%. This is because there are 64 possible positions for the first queen, and for each position, there are 14 other squares that the second queen could occupy and be in the line of attack. Therefore, the overall probability is (14/64) = 2/63.

4. How many different ways can a chess game end in a draw?

There are approximately 5,449 different ways a chess game can end in a draw. This calculation takes into account different combinations of pieces remaining on the board and different possible moves leading to a draw. However, the exact number can vary depending on the specific rules and variations of chess being played.

5. Can a player win a game of chess with only a king and a knight against a king?

No, it is not possible to win a game of chess with only a king and a knight against a king. This is because a king and knight are not enough to force a checkmate on their own. The opposing king can simply avoid being captured and the game would result in a draw due to insufficient material.