Chinese fuel reprocessing plant, store Kr-85

In summary, Areva plans to build a plant in China for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel and this presents an opportunity for improvement in addressing the issue of radioactive 85Kr fission product.
Enthalpy
Hello everybody!

Areva is supposed to build a plant in China to reprocess spent nuclear fuel (agreement hoped in Spring 2018).

I should like to remind that the radioactive 85Kr fission product, which stays in the fuel rods until they're opened, can be stored easily until it has decayed, as I described there (drawings on Dec 03, 2011):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/krypton-85-in-our-atmosphere.554562/
so there is no need to release it in our atmosphere.

This operation is easier to design in a new plant, so it's a good opportunity for improvement.

And: happy new year to everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im confused on what point you are trying to make

Hello there! I find it interesting that Areva is planning to build a plant in China for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel. It's good to know that they are taking measures to address the issue of radioactive 85Kr fission product. I agree that storing it until it has decayed is a better option than releasing it into our atmosphere. It's great that you have shared your previous findings on this topic. I hope the new plant will be designed with this in mind and it will be a good opportunity for improvement. Happy new year to you too!

1. What is a Chinese fuel reprocessing plant?

A Chinese fuel reprocessing plant is a facility used to extract usable nuclear fuel from spent nuclear fuel. This process involves separating and purifying the usable materials from the spent fuel, which can then be reused in nuclear reactors to generate electricity.

2. How does a Chinese fuel reprocessing plant work?

A Chinese fuel reprocessing plant uses a series of chemical and physical processes to separate and purify the usable nuclear fuel from the spent fuel. This typically involves dissolving the spent fuel in acid and then using techniques such as solvent extraction and ion exchange to isolate and purify the usable materials.

3. What is Kr-85 and why is it stored at a Chinese fuel reprocessing plant?

Kr-85 is a radioactive gas that is produced during the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel. It is a byproduct of the nuclear fission process and is considered a waste product. It is stored at Chinese fuel reprocessing plants because it is a potential health and environmental hazard and needs to be safely contained and managed.

4. Is the storage of Kr-85 at a Chinese fuel reprocessing plant safe?

Yes, the storage of Kr-85 at a Chinese fuel reprocessing plant is considered safe. The plant is designed and operated to ensure that the gas is contained and does not pose a threat to human health or the environment. Additionally, the storage facilities are regularly monitored and maintained to ensure they meet safety standards.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the Chinese fuel reprocessing plant and the stored Kr-85?

Like any industrial facility, there are potential risks associated with the Chinese fuel reprocessing plant and the stored Kr-85. These risks include accidents, leaks, and potential exposure to radiation. However, the plant is subject to strict safety regulations and protocols to minimize these risks and protect the surrounding environment and communities.