Choose each of the following statements that would be true regarding the brain

In summary: E) Right.In summary, the correct answers are B and E. The hypothalamus releases GnRH and the phenomenon of interpreting senses as coming from other senses is called synesthesia. The blind spot is not caused by the fovea centralis and vision does not detect chemicals.
CMATT

Homework Statement

Choose each of the following statements that would be true regarding the brain or special senses.
There could be multiple answers.

a) Properly using the captive bolt should result in pupils that constrict in response to a bright light
b) The part of the brain that releases Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone (GnRH) sits in a pocket within the sphenoid bone called the sella tursica
c) The blind spot is caused most directly by the fovea centralis
d) Special senses that detect only chemicals include taste, smell and vision
e) It is possible to interpret certain senses as coming from other senses, such as hearing colors or smelling sounds. This phenomenon is called synesthesia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose answers B, and E so far.
Answer B is talking about the hypothalamus.
Answer E is also true because that is what synesthesia means.

I did not choose answer C because the blind spot is not most directly caused by the fovea centralis.
I did not choose answer D because vision does not detect chemicals.

I am not sure about answer A

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, D is definitely incorrect. As for A, I would think that it is correct. Pupils "shrink" in response to a bright light and "expand" in response to dim light. I'm not sure what a captive bolt is, though. I looked it up, but all I could find were things about this kind of pistol.

I would say E is definitely a correct answer, as people with synesthesia might hear a note F as the colour blue, which is exactly what the option describes.
As for the other answers:

A) Wrong, I have never heard of a captive bolt, I'd assume that it's wrong because upon a google search I found the same as the guy above me.
B) Wrong, the hypothalamus produces GnRH, while the pituitary sits in the sella tursica.
C) Wrong, the blind spot is caused by where the optic nerve recedes into the brain from the eyeball, there are no photoreceptors in this place because it's taken up by the optic nerve.
D) Wrong, vision doesn't detect chemicals

1. What is the main function of the brain?

The main function of the brain is to control and coordinate all of the body's activities and processes, including movement, sensation, thought, and emotion.

2. How many lobes does the brain have?

The brain has four lobes: the frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, and occipital lobe.

3. Can damage to the brain be repaired?

Some types of damage to the brain, such as minor injuries or diseases, can be repaired or healed over time. However, severe damage to the brain, such as from a stroke or traumatic brain injury, may not be fully repairable.

4. How does the brain communicate with the rest of the body?

The brain communicates with the rest of the body through the nervous system, which consists of the brain, spinal cord, and network of nerves. The brain sends and receives signals through the spinal cord and nerves to control and coordinate bodily functions.

5. How much does the brain weigh?

The average adult human brain weighs about 3 pounds, or 1.4 kilograms. However, the weight of the brain can vary based on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.