Choosing subjects for a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience

• Physics
  • Thread starter Keith Gellar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation discusses a university's undergraduate science program and a counselor's advice for selecting subjects for a career in nanotechnology. The subjects mentioned are waves and optics, thermal and statistical physics, nuclear physics, physics of fluid flows, fourier systems and optics, advanced quantum physics, advanced electromagnetism, advanced classical mechanics, advanced statistical mechanics, and engineering or science as a more suitable option for this purpose.
Keith Gellar
Hi all,
I am looking at a university's undergraduate science program and trying to decide on which subjects would be suited for a career in nanotechnology.

I've spoken to a counselor but she was not able to pinpoint exactly which subjects I should take. After a bit of reading and research, I've settled on the chemistry topics, but I'm having trouble picking the physics subjects, primarily because I am not entirely certain whether they are relevant to nanotechnology:

Following are the subjects I cannot decide on:
  • Waves and Optics
  • Thermal and Statistical Physics
  • Nuclear Physics
  • Physics of Fluid Flows
  • Fourier Systems and Optics
  • Advanced Quantum Physics
  • Advanced Electromagnetism
  • Advanced Classical Mechanics
  • Advanced Statistical Mechanics

Thank-you for your time. Please feel free to provide any opinions on the general topic (of trying to work in nanotechnology) as I greatly appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just found out that you were from Australia not USA - though that shouldn't really make any difference to the selection of subjects that you need to study .

Not as good as the US site referenced in previous post but some useful information is given here :

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/degree_country.php?country=Australia

Last edited:
Thank-you Nidum, that US website is quite useful, it has helped me narrow down my subject selection a bit.

A further question: I am looking to study at ANU in Australia next year. They offer a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Engineering (no specialty in materials science/engineering unfortunately).

I am interested in researching novel or current materials and crafting them for use in renewable energy and medicine. Would you consider engineering or science a more suitable option for this purpose?

Last edited:

1. What subjects should I study in high school if I want to pursue a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience?

In high school, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science subjects such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is also useful to take courses in computer science and engineering to develop problem-solving and technical skills.

2. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to work in nanotechnology/nanoscience?

No, there are various undergraduate degrees that can lead to a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience, such as chemistry, physics, materials science, and engineering. It is important to choose a degree program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively are important qualities for a career in nanotechnology/nanoscience. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and computer science.

4. What graduate degrees should I consider if I want to specialize in nanotechnology/nanoscience?

Graduate degrees in nanotechnology, nanoscience, or a related field such as materials science or engineering are typically required for more advanced positions in the field. Some universities also offer interdisciplinary programs specifically focused on nanotechnology/nanoscience.

5. Are there any specific industries or fields where I can work with a degree in nanotechnology/nanoscience?

Nanotechnology and nanoscience have applications in various industries, including healthcare, energy, electronics, and materials. Some specific job roles in these industries include nanomaterials researcher, nanotechnology engineer, and pharmaceutical nanotechnologist.