Chord PQ subtending Right angle at centre of ellipse.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the property that if P and Q are two points on an ellipse with PQ subtending a right angle at the centre O, then 1/[(OP)^2] + 1/[(OQ)^2] = 1/(a^2) + 1/(b^2). The conversation also discusses the use of parametric form and vectors to prove this property, and suggests the use of t = tan A, u = tan B to simplify the equation.
amk_dbz

Homework Statement

If P and Q are two points on ellipse [(x^2/a^2)+(y^2/b^2)]=1 such that PQ subtends a right angle at the centre O then.Prove that 1/[(OP)^2] + 1/[(OQ)^2] = [1/(a^2)] +[1/(b^2)]

Homework Equations

Parametric form of points P(acos(θ),bsin(θ)),

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the angle between them is 90 degrees therefore the points are P[acos(θ),bsin(θ)]
and Q[acos(90+θ),bsin(90+θ)] = Q[-asin(θ),bcos(θ)]

FirstNow I tried the distance formula but in vain
SecondI also tried using vectors as follows
Position vector of P= acos(θ) i +bsin(θ) j
Q= -asin(θ)i +bcos(θ) j

Since OP and OQ are perpandicular their dot product is zero
OP.OQ = 0
acos(θ).[-asin(θ)] + bsin(θ).[bcoz(θ)]=0
b^2[sin(θ)cos(θ)]- a^2[sin(θ)cos(θ) = 0
which gives a^2=b^2
a = b

I have 2 questions, 1)How to prove this?
2)Why does the vector method give a=b (which i think is only a special case). Did I do anything wrong?

Any help will be appreciated...Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
amk_dbz said:
Since the angle between them is 90 degrees therefore the points are P[acos(θ),bsin(θ)]
and Q[acos(90+θ),bsin(90+θ)] = Q[-asin(θ),bcos(θ)]
Theta is only a parameter here. It does not represent the angle the vector makes to the x axis.

Oh! Interesting...I had failed to notice that and took it as the angle between positive x-axis and the position vector of the point.
Thanks

Ok, so how do I prove the property then ?

let the points be parameterised by independent angles, then use the perpendicularity of the vectors to find the relationship between the two.

Thanks again..
I tried solving it assuming parameters A and B [P(acosA,bsinA)] and [Q(acosB,bsinB)]
Therefore OP.OQ = a^2(cosA)(cosB) + b^2(sinA)(sinB) = 0

Now I simplified it in two ways leading to two equations
1) (b^2+a^2)[cos(A-B)]=(b^2-a^2)[cos(A+B)]

2) -(a^2)/(b^2) = tanAtanB

What should I do next?

Thanks.

The LHS of the target equality is 1/[(OP)^2] + 1/[(OQ)^2], so obtain an expression for that in terms of the angles.

I have been trying to simplify the equation but in vain...It is too messy and long. Please let me know if you have a better way.
Anyways thanks for assistance. :)

Try substituting t = tan A, u = tan B, and converting all the trig functions into references to t and u. You can use tu = -a2/b2 to eliminate one of them.

1. What is a Chord PQ subtending Right angle at centre of ellipse?

A chord PQ subtending right angle at the centre of an ellipse is a line segment that connects two points (P and Q) on the ellipse and intersects the centre of the ellipse at a 90-degree angle. This is also known as a perpendicular chord.

2. How is the length of the chord PQ calculated?

The length of the chord PQ can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the chord is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse.

3. What is the significance of a chord PQ subtending Right angle at centre of ellipse?

When a chord PQ subtends a right angle at the centre of an ellipse, it divides the ellipse into two equal parts. This can be useful in finding the centre of the ellipse or in certain geometric constructions.

4. How does the length of the chord PQ change as the position of points P and Q on the ellipse changes?

The length of the chord PQ changes as the position of points P and Q on the ellipse changes. The length of the chord is maximum when P and Q are at the ends of the major axis and decreases as they move closer to the centre of the ellipse.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the length of the chord PQ subtending Right angle at centre of ellipse?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the length of the chord PQ subtending right angle at the centre of an ellipse. It is given by: 2√(a^2 + b^2), where a is the length of the semi-major axis and b is the length of the semi-minor axis of the ellipse.