Chromatography retention time question

In summary, the chromatography graph shows that there are two peaks, one for propanoic acid and another for pentanoic acid. The more polar compound will have a longer retention time.
TT0

Homework Statement

For this chromatography graph there are 2 peaks:
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.07.51 PM.png

One of them is propanoic acid and another one is pentanoic acid. The more polar compound will have a longer retention time. Which peak belongs to which compound.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers says that the first peak is pentanoic acid and the second peak is propanoic acid. But I thought pentanoic acid would be the second peak as it has stronger intermolecular forces because it has a larger electron cloud. Both have the carboxylic acid functional group so they should be the same. Could someone tell me if I am right? And if not, why am I wrong.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is in the question:
TT0 said:
The more polar compound will have a longer retention time.
So, what can you say of the dipole moment of each molecule?

Likes TT0
Im not sure what you mean but I think that pentanoic acid has a greater dipole moment than propanoic acid.

Thanks

TT0 said:
Im not sure what you mean but I think that pentanoic acid has a greater dipole moment than propanoic acid.
It does not. A simple hand-waving explanation goes like this: longer carbon chains are "softer" with respect to the distribution of the electrons. In other words, the longer the chain, the smaller value of the partial charge δ+ or δ-, leading to a smaller dipole moment.

Is that al the information you were given?

I find it unreal, unhelpful to a student, and almost misleading and unscientific that you are supposed to reason on just the properties of the substances being separated with no consideration of the nature of the solid substrate nor the eluant solution. (It might reasonably be a hydrophilic substrate and more hydrophobic eluant, I presume acid.)

I question whether you can say the distribution of charge is significantly different in between propanoic and pentanoic acid. It is generally held that inductive effects if this is the same thing Dr. Claude talking about, do not extend significantly beyond two C atoms. At any rate if you try to explain the acid pKas by the inductive effect, the difference between propanoic and pentanoic is small. And in the wrong direction!

So I would guess a more likely explanation (assuming the chromatography is as I mentioned above) is that pentanoic simply has a larger nonpolar group than propanoic that can interact more favourably with a nonpolar mobile phase i.e. eluant..

o_O eluant? eluent?

1. What is retention time in chromatography?

Retention time in chromatography is the amount of time it takes for a compound to move through the chromatography column and reach the detector. It is a measure of how long a component stays in the stationary phase before eluting out of the column.

2. How is retention time determined in chromatography?

Retention time is determined by several factors including the properties of the stationary phase and mobile phase, the interactions between the analyte and the stationary phase, and the flow rate of the mobile phase. These factors work together to influence the time it takes for a compound to elute from the column.

3. What affects the retention time in chromatography?

The retention time in chromatography can be affected by several factors including the polarity of the mobile phase and stationary phase, the size and shape of the analyte molecule, and the temperature of the chromatography system. Changes in these factors can alter the retention time of a compound.

4. How is retention time used in chromatography?

Retention time is an important parameter in chromatography as it can be used to identify and quantify compounds in a sample. By comparing the retention time of a compound in a sample to known standards, the identity of the compound can be determined. Additionally, changes in retention time can indicate impurities or changes in the sample composition.

5. Can retention time be used to differentiate between compounds in chromatography?

Yes, retention time can be used to differentiate between compounds in chromatography. Each compound has a unique retention time based on its properties and interactions with the chromatography system. By comparing the retention time of different compounds in a sample, scientists can determine the composition of the sample and identify individual components.