Circuit for producing a single-shot cycle

In summary, the person is looking for a way to build a triggerable circuit that gives out a single-cycle, and is considering using an opamp-based differentiator driven by a normal function generator. They need 2*B=3.5V for their application, and are concerned about the slew rate. They mention Step Recovery Diodes and mention that anything faster than 1ns tends to be tricky to design.
nitin.jain
Hi all,
I wish to build a triggerable circuit that gives out a single-cycle, such as the one given in the pic attached (the middle one, with magenta and blue colours). While square/trapeziod/ramp cycles are good, even an exponential fall in the beginning and rise in the end would be fine (the bottom-most graph). The symmetry in the 'low' and 'high' lobes is also not a requirement. The most important thing is a very fast ascend from the low to high value.

What I thought and have also shown in this pic (graphs 1 and 2) was making use of an opamp-based differentiator driven by a normal function generator (such as Agilent's 80 MHz one) - a triggered pulse from it, with some specific tRise and tFall (considering the 10% to 90% or vice-versa definition).
I need 2*B = 3.5V for my application. Taking tRise = tFall = 2.5 ns and tinkering with the amplitude A and the RC values, I could most likely achieve this.
However, the problem that I see already is as follows (please let me know if the following analysis is correct):
As told above, for my application, the critical part is the switching time from low to high (illustrated in the figure in blue colour). In other words, the differentiator output needs to switch from at least -0.8*B to +0.8*B in less than 200 ps, which translates to a minimum slew rate of around 15000 V/microS. The best opamp I've found so far turns shy even of 10000 V/microS, so it's a long way to go!
So my questions are:
1) If I instead switch between smaller peak levels (let's say from -0.4*B to 0.4*B, so as to meet the slew rate constraint comfortably), can I then cascade a (broadband?) amplifier to reach the requisite voltage levels, without compromising on the fast switching time?
2) Or, are you aware of an opamp that does have a fast enough slew rate. If yes, please let me know as well.

Last but not the least, any other not-too-complicated designs will also be appreciated! :)

Attachments

• single-cycle-from-opDiffr.jpg
    single-cycle-from-opDiffr.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What about using a step recovery diode?
This is used to achieve very fast rise/fall times with some pulse generators, including the SRS DG535 I use in my lab. That said, it is not a very flexible solution and I don't even know if one could use this trick your case.

There is a link into an app-note in the links section of the wiki for the diodes, it might contain some useful info.

However, anything faster than 1ns tends to be seriously tricky to design and at 280ps you are well into high-speed electronics territory.

Thanks for your reply! I've actually just discovered the wonderful and mysterious world of Step Recovery Diodes too! :biggrin:
And I believe you allude to the HP appnote http://www.hp.woodshot.com/hprfhelp/5_downld/lit/diodelit/an918.pdf" , is that right?
It does seem nicely descriptive (like most old documents are)! I shall go through it tomorrow and hopefully, it shall provide me some implementable idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Circuit for producing a single-shot cycle

1. How does a single-shot cycle circuit work?

A single-shot cycle circuit is a type of electronic circuit that produces a pulse or a single output signal when triggered by an input signal. It typically includes a timing mechanism, a trigger input, and an output component, such as a pulse generator or a flip-flop. When the trigger input is activated, the timing mechanism is triggered, and the output component produces a single pulse or signal before returning to its original state.

2. What are the components of a single-shot cycle circuit?

A single-shot cycle circuit typically includes a timing mechanism, a trigger input, and an output component. The timing mechanism can be a resistor-capacitor (RC) network or a monostable multivibrator. The trigger input can be a switch, a sensor, or another electronic component that initiates the cycle. The output component can be a pulse generator, a flip-flop, or another type of logic gate.

3. How is a single-shot cycle circuit different from a continuous cycle circuit?

A single-shot cycle circuit produces a single output signal or pulse when triggered, while a continuous cycle circuit produces a continuous stream of output signals. Additionally, a single-shot cycle circuit has a finite duration, while a continuous cycle circuit can operate indefinitely. The design and components of these circuits also differ, with a single-shot cycle circuit typically having a timing mechanism, while a continuous cycle circuit may have a feedback loop to sustain the output.

4. What are some applications of a single-shot cycle circuit?

A single-shot cycle circuit can be used in many electronic systems, such as timing circuits, pulse generators, and logic control circuits. It is commonly used in devices that require a one-time output, such as cameras, sensors, and alarms. It can also be used in scientific experiments, industrial automation, and robotics.

5. What are the advantages of using a single-shot cycle circuit?

Using a single-shot cycle circuit can provide precise timing and control in electronic systems. It also reduces the need for complex programming or feedback loops, making it a simpler and more cost-effective solution. Additionally, it can save power by only producing a single output signal instead of a continuous stream. It is also a versatile circuit that can be adapted for various applications and can be easily integrated into larger electronic systems.