Circuits and the Speed of Light (2)

In summary, a circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows the flow of electrical current, which travels at the speed of light. This relationship between circuits and the speed of light is important in the design and functioning of electronic devices, as the speed of the circuit determines the speed at which information can be transmitted. However, circuits cannot break the speed of light as the actual electrons moving through the wires have a much slower speed. The speed of light affects the performance of circuits in terms of signal delay and propagation time, which is why high-speed circuits and devices are designed with shorter distances and faster components.
Byron Forbes
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-14/circuits-and-the-speed-of-light/

Sorry, my other post must have been too brief.

In another thread shut down by Dale, this very site (allaboutcircuits) was used by him to reference wave guides. This particular page is 100% contrary to the side of the fence he was on in that thread.

Just saying. :cool:

Is the quoted web page wrong? i.e. is transmission speed purely down to electron coupling?

Science news on Phys.org
This question has been discussed in 101 posts:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/speed-of-electricity.996609/

I do not see, how a 102nd can provide what 101 could not.
We do not comment other websites.
To restart a closed thread is against the rules.

If you have a very specific question which hasn't been addressed in the thread I linked to, then you can open another thread. This one will be closed.

Likes sophiecentaur and davenn
Byron Forbes said:
Is the quoted web page wrong? i.e. is transmission speed purely down to electron coupling?
Thank you for pointing out how bad of a reference this site is. The specific page that I referenced was decent, but indeed a lot of the other content is highly misleading. I will remove the reference from the other thread.

Likes vanhees71

What is the relationship between circuits and the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and it plays a crucial role in the operation of circuits. In fact, the speed of light is the fastest that any information or signal can travel in a vacuum. This means that the speed of light sets a limit on the speed at which signals can travel through circuits.

How does the speed of light affect the performance of electronic devices?

The speed of light has a significant impact on the performance of electronic devices. In particular, it affects the speed at which data can be transmitted and processed within a circuit. As the speed of light is limited, it can cause delays in the transmission of signals and thus affect the overall performance of electronic devices.

Why is the speed of light important in the design of circuits?

The speed of light is crucial in the design of circuits because it determines the maximum speed at which signals can travel through the circuit. This means that circuit designers must take into account the speed of light when designing circuits to ensure that the signals can travel efficiently and without significant delays.

Can the speed of light be exceeded in circuits?

No, the speed of light is a fundamental constant and it cannot be exceeded in any circumstance. This means that signals in circuits cannot travel faster than the speed of light, and any attempt to do so would violate the laws of physics.

How does the speed of light affect the transmission of information in circuits?

The speed of light determines the maximum speed at which information can be transmitted in circuits. As signals travel at the speed of light, any delay in the transmission of signals can affect the overall speed at which information is transmitted. Therefore, it is important for circuit designers to consider the speed of light in order to optimize the transmission of information.