Citation for origins of the Kloss formula

In summary, Kloss's formula for approximating slip and motor torque in a squirrel cage induction motor is used in Europe and Russia, but is not found in American paper or books.
Dr.D
TL;DR Summary
The Kloss formula (from Dr. Max Kloss) is apparently widely used in Europe and Russia to approximate the relation between slip and motor torque in a squirrel cage induction motor, but I've never seen it in an American paper or book. Does anyone have a source citation for this?
The Kloss formula (from Dr. Max Kloss) is apparently widely used in Europe and Russia to approximate the relation between slip and motor torque in a squirrel cage induction motor, but I've never seen it in an American paper or book. Does anyone have a source citation for this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you will need to explore and follow the citation trail backwards.
Just keep broadening the search. How is your technical Russian?
An example;
http://www.ene.ttu.ee/elektriajamid/teadus/artiklid/Comp_OF_models/“The detailed analysis of Kloss formula, and variations of this, are given by Risthein (1).”
Ref 1. Risthein, E. K matematitšeskoi interpretatsij mehanitšeskoi harakteristiki asinhronnogo dvigatelja. Trudö TPI 627, Tallinn, 1986. (In Russian)

Thank you for this citation, @Baluncore . Unfortunately, my knowledge of Russian is nonexistent, so I will not be able to read the original of that citation.

Since posting the request, I think I have tracked down the original source, a paper by Dr. Max Kloss in The Electron, 1909.

Hello, firsts editions of Kingsley and Fitzgerald have a treatment about the expression, but they never mentioned Kloss´s name. It appears in section 7 - Induction machines as "Normalized Torque-Slip curves", or something like that (My two editions of K-F are in spanish).

Interesting comment, Pablo. Thank you. I think I lost my copy of K-F quite a few years ago, so I suppose I'll just have to let that one go. Thanks anyway.

Thanks, Tom G., but I think I'll pass. I found K&F to be pretty fuzzy, and after I found the work by Krause, K&F was no longer of interest to me.

Related to Citation for origins of the Kloss formula

1. What is the Kloss formula?

The Kloss formula, also known as the Kloss equation, is a mathematical formula used to estimate the sound absorption coefficient of a material based on its physical properties such as thickness, density, and porosity.

2. Who developed the Kloss formula?

The Kloss formula was developed by Dr. Floyd K. Kloss, an acoustician and researcher at the Armstrong Cork Company in the 1950s. He published his findings in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America in 1954.

3. What is the purpose of the Kloss formula?

The Kloss formula is used to predict the sound absorption of various materials, which is important in designing and constructing soundproofing materials and acoustic treatments for buildings, vehicles, and other structures.

4. How accurate is the Kloss formula?

The Kloss formula is considered to be a reliable and accurate method for predicting sound absorption coefficients, especially for porous materials such as acoustic foams and mineral fibers. However, its accuracy may vary for different materials and conditions.

5. Is the Kloss formula still used today?

Yes, the Kloss formula is still widely used by acousticians and engineers for its simplicity and effectiveness. However, there have been some modifications and improvements made to the formula over the years to account for different materials and conditions.