Civil vs Mechanical Engineering: Deciding Between Environmental Majors & Minors

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in Environmental Engineering as a sophomore and their preference for sustainability and designing. They are unsure whether to major in Civil Engineering with a concentration in Environmental or Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Environmental. The speaker is concerned about job opportunities and their personal interests in structures and water resources. The expert advises that Civil/Environmental may be the best option based on the expected employment increase for civil engineers. They also mention the importance of the national balance of supply and demand for each engineering field. The expert also shares their own experience with specializing in different fields as a mechanical engineer.
giacomh
So I'm interested in Environmental Engineering. I am a sophomore, and as of now, I'm interested in green buildings and possibly water resources. But really, I enjoy all things sustainability, and I would also go as far to say that I enjoy designing anything (whether its environmental-related or not). I have only taken Statics and Mechanics 1 so far, but I really enjoyed it, particularly our design projects.

At my school, Civils can concentrate in environmental engineering, but a minor in environmental engineering is open to all majors.

Right now I'm really undecided about whether I should do Civil with a concentration in Environmental, or Mechanical with a minor in Environmental Engineering. I know I like structures a lot now, which is Civil, but I haven't really had any experience in Mechanical stuff to know.

I think if I do a Mechanical major with a Environmental minor, I'll be able to study a little of the structure/environmental stuff that I already like, plus learn some more about mechanics, energy, etc. I think it will make me more employable. However, I don't want employers/possible internships looking for structures/water to write me off, because that's what I'm most interested in. I don't want be "stuck" designing tools or car engines or something. I'm female, and I know that shouldn't be an issue, but I feel very intimidated by the thought of doing something like that, because I never grew up learning "shop" stuff, and I know senior males in that field will not take me seriously. I don't know anything about engines, cars, etc. I just don't want to put myself in that position.

I'm also really worried about the job market, particularly the job market for Civils. I know its a lot better than the market for liberal arts majors anyway, but I'm still worried. I'm so in debt already and I just want to make the most of my years in school, I don't want to have any regrets. My school has co-op, and the list of employers to be at the co-op fair was just released. There are about 25...while most of them are hiring MechEs, very few are hiring CivEs...it just makes me worried.

So here are my possible majors:

Civil/Environmental Major
Civil/Environmental Major with a Mechanical Minor
Mechanical Major with an Environmental Minor

Sorry if this jumped around, I just need advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
sounds like civil/environmental is the best option considering that is what you are most interested in. I read that civil engineers are expected to have a big employment increase within the next decade

giacomh said:
My school has co-op, and the list of employers to be at the co-op fair was just released. There are about 25...while most of them are hiring MechEs, very few are hiring CivEs...it just makes me worried.

That could be just a matter of a small sample and your local geography. I would be more worried if there are several CivE companies in your area who are NOT hiring, than a situation where many companies (not just the obvious "metal bashers") have some requirement for MechEs but zero requirement for CivEs.

The important thing is the national (or even international) balance of supply and demand for CivEs, not the total number of CivEs compared with the number of MechEs.

The old joke is:

"Mechanical Engineers design weapons, Civil Engineers design targets."

But seriously, many moons ago I was asking something similar and was advised to go ME because ME was the most broad engineering curriculum. From there, one could specialize into any technical/engineering field. My experience is that (mostly) holds true.

I understand your dilemma and can offer some guidance to help you make a decision about your major and minor. First, it's great that you have a passion for sustainability and environmental engineering. This is an important field and your interest and enthusiasm will serve you well in your future career.

When it comes to choosing between civil and mechanical engineering, there are a few things to consider. Civil engineering is a broad field that includes various sub-disciplines, such as structural engineering, environmental engineering, and transportation engineering. On the other hand, mechanical engineering is more focused on the design and manufacture of mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools.

Based on your interest in green buildings and water resources, it seems like a civil engineering major with a concentration in environmental engineering would be a good fit for you. This will allow you to focus on the areas you are most interested in while still gaining a broad understanding of civil engineering principles. Additionally, many civil engineering programs offer courses in sustainability and environmental engineering, so you can still pursue your interests in those areas.

However, I understand your concerns about the job market and employability. A minor in environmental engineering, while not as comprehensive as a major, can still provide you with valuable skills and knowledge in the field. It can also make you more marketable to employers who are looking for candidates with a diverse skill set.

If you decide to pursue a mechanical engineering major with a minor in environmental engineering, it's important to keep in mind that you can still focus on the areas that interest you. Many mechanical engineering programs offer elective courses that allow you to specialize in a particular area, such as sustainable design or energy systems. You can also seek out internships or research opportunities in the field of environmental engineering to gain practical experience.

As for your concerns about being a female in a male-dominated field, it's important to remember that your skills and abilities are what matter most. Don't let stereotypes or preconceived notions hold you back from pursuing a career that you are passionate about. As for your lack of experience in "shop" stuff, that can be easily learned and should not be a barrier to pursuing a mechanical engineering major.

In terms of the job market, it's always a good idea to research and stay informed about the demand for engineers in different industries. While there may be fewer job opportunities for civil engineers at the moment, this can change in the future and it's important to choose a career path that aligns with

Related to Civil vs Mechanical Engineering: Deciding Between Environmental Majors & Minors

1. What is the main difference between civil and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure systems such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water supply systems. On the other hand, mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and production of mechanical and thermal systems such as engines, machines, and tools.

2. How do the environmental majors and minors differ between civil and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering typically offers environmental majors and minors that focus on sustainable design, water resources, and environmental engineering. Mechanical engineering may also offer similar environmental-focused majors and minors, but they tend to have a stronger emphasis on energy efficiency and renewable energy systems.

3. Which engineering field is more suitable for those interested in environmental sustainability?

Both civil and mechanical engineering offer opportunities for individuals interested in environmental sustainability. However, civil engineering may be a better fit for those interested in the design and construction of large-scale sustainable infrastructure systems, while mechanical engineering may be a better fit for those interested in developing innovative energy-efficient technologies.

4. Are there any similarities in the coursework for civil and mechanical engineering?

There are some similarities in the coursework for civil and mechanical engineering, as both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and mechanics. However, the specific courses and topics covered may differ based on the focus of each engineering discipline.

5. Which engineering field offers more job opportunities in the environmental sector?

Both civil and mechanical engineering offer numerous job opportunities in the environmental sector. However, the job market may vary depending on the location and the current demand for specific skills. It is important to research the job market and consider which engineering discipline aligns with your interests and career goals.