Clarification about Aircraft Over-Wing Fog Formation (Adiabatic)

• I
  • Thread starter RobbyQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aircraft
In summary, when airliners land or take off on humid days, a fog or cloud may develop on the upper wing due to the lower pressure on the wing's surface causing rapid adiabatic expansion and resulting in a drop in temperature near the dew point. This can also be likened to the fog that occurs when opening a can of fizzy drink. However, the fog may not always occur due to changes in atmospheric conditions and the magnitude of the low pressure can vary. The fog disappears when the spoilers are deployed and the upper wing pressure returns to the airfield pressure, indicating the shedding of lift. This can also be seen through the compression of the landing gear suspension system. The fogging effect is also affected by air temperature and humidity
RobbyQ
You may have noticed when airliners land or take off on humid days a fog or cloud develops on the upper wing. My understanding is that the upper wing has a lower pressure (Bernoulli's) than the atmospheric pressure (QNH) at the airfield. When the air molecules hit the upper wing there is a rapid adiabatic expansion due to the lower pressure and work is done, resulting in a drop in temperature within 2.5C of the dew point. Condensation onto dust particles occurs and the fogging is observed. I also liken this to that small cloud you get when you crack open a can of fizzy drink. Would this be correct?
Here is a link of the fogging effect:

Science news on Phys.org
That is basically correct, but dew point changes according to atmospheric conditions, reason for which the foggy cloud on top of wings not always happens.
Also, the magnitude of the low pressure also varies according to wing velocity and angle of attack.

Likes RobbyQ
Lnewqban said:
That is basically correct, but dew point changes according to atmospheric conditions, reason for which the foggy cloud on top of wings not always happens.
Also, the magnitude of the low pressure also varies according to wing velocity and angle of attack.
Good feedback. Thanks.
Also, did you notice on the touch down in the video where the spoilers were deployed, lift dump occurs and the fogging disappears as the upper wing is back to the airfield pressure.

Likes Lnewqban
Perhaps the best indicator is that at about 0:53 in the video. As the jet touches down and load shifts from the wings to the landing gear, that wing fog disappears proportionately to the landing gear compression - clearly indicating that it is the direct product of the lift.

Likes Lnewqban and RobbyQ
.Scott said:
Perhaps the best indicator is that at about 0:53 in the video. As the jet touches down and load shifts from the wings to the landing gear, that wing fog disappears proportionately to the landing gear compression - clearly indicating that it is the direct product of the lift.
I think that's lift dump as spoilers deployed and upper wing pressure is back to standard. Also killing the lift, as you implied, means all the weight is back on the wheels and improves braking efficiency.

RobbyQ said:
I think that's lift dump as spoilers deployed and upper wing pressure is back to standard. Also killing the lift, as you implied, means all the weight is back on the wheels and improves braking efficiency.
At 0:52, the wing fog is gone and the spoilers are not deployed. The first sign of the spoilers is over a second later at 0:53. Because spoilers increase the stall speed, it is normal practice to land before fully deploying the spoilers as brakes.
I think the best indication of the shedding of the lift is the compression of the landing gear suspension system.

I have piloted aircraft with air brakes (not spoilers). I love them. They give super precise control of your descent angle.

Likes Lnewqban
.Scott said:
At 0:52, the wing fog is gone and the spoilers are not deployed. The first sign of the spoilers is over a second later at 0:53. Because spoilers increase the stall speed, it is normal practice to land before fully deploying the spoilers.
I think the best indication of the shedding of the lift is the compression of the landing gear suspension system.
The spoilers are armed and deploy when the rea wheels touch the runway. I don't think we can argue about what happens within 1 second here. Also it's just coming out of the flare so angle of attack is decreasing. Spoilers are 2 fold: 1. During the descent procedure they act as air brakes (if needed) 2. On touch down they kill the lift and get that 1G back onto the wheels for efficient braking.

Likes Lnewqban
RobbyQ said:
Good feedback. Thanks.
For the airplane flying a constant bank (timelapse 1:41 through 2:07), note that the above-wing pressure (and AOA) should remain more or less constant but fogging appears and disappears according to the air temperature and humidity in different zones.
RobbyQ said:
Also, did you notice on the touch down in the video where the spoilers were deployed, lift dump occurs and the fogging disappears as the upper wing is back to the airfield pressure.
Indeed.
You can also see how the bending (smiling) along the wingspan disappears.
The weight is transferred from the hanging wings onto the rolling gear.

Likes RobbyQ
Lnewqban said:
For the airplane flying a constant bank (timelapse 1:41 through 2:07), note that the above-wing pressure (and AOA) should remain more or less constant but fogging appears and disappears according to the air temperature and humidity in different zones.
Indeed. Very noticeable. There's a lot going on here. Time for some Navier-Stokes :smile:

Likes Lnewqban

1. What causes fog to form over aircraft wings?

Fog formation on aircraft wings is caused by a process called adiabatic cooling. As an aircraft moves through the air, the air particles above the wings are forced to move faster, creating an area of low pressure. This low pressure causes the air to expand and cool, leading to the formation of fog.

2. Is fog formation on aircraft wings dangerous?

In most cases, fog formation on aircraft wings is not dangerous. However, it can cause a decrease in visibility, which can be a concern for pilots during takeoff and landing. This is why aircraft have de-icing systems to prevent fog from forming on the wings during flight.

3. Can fog formation on aircraft wings affect the performance of the aircraft?

Yes, fog formation on aircraft wings can affect the performance of the aircraft. The fog can create a layer of moisture on the wings, which can increase drag and decrease lift. This can impact the aircraft's ability to fly efficiently and may require the pilot to make adjustments to compensate.

4. How do scientists study and measure fog formation on aircraft wings?

Scientists use various methods to study and measure fog formation on aircraft wings. This can include conducting wind tunnel experiments, using computer simulations, and collecting data from actual flights. They also use specialized instruments, such as laser-based sensors, to measure the thickness and density of fog on the wings.

5. Can fog formation on aircraft wings lead to icing?

Yes, fog formation on aircraft wings can lead to icing. When the temperature is low enough, the fog can freeze on the wings, creating a layer of ice. This can be dangerous as it can affect the aerodynamics of the aircraft and increase the risk of stalling. De-icing systems are used to prevent this from happening during flight.