Clarifying some rules on solving quadratic equation

In summary, the person is asking for clarification about the steps they took in solving two quadratic equations, where they ended up with one root for the first one and two equal roots for the second one. They are questioning why this is the case and if there should be two roots for both problems. The response is that there is no guarantee that a quadratic equation will have two roots, and in the case of the second problem, the only possibility for the second root is when x=p=q. The reason for only getting one root in the first problem is because one of the roots is being divided out in the process.
NotaMathPerson
View attachment 5675
Hello! I just want to clarify something about the rules on solving quadratic eqns.

I have already solved both problems but in the process of my solution some questions arise.

For example in the part of my soltution in problem 48 I have this

$(x-c)\left(\frac{a^2+b^2-ac-bc+x(2c-a-b)}{x^2-ax-bx+ab}\right)=0$

Multiplying both sides by $(x^2-ax-bx+ab)$ I get two unqueal roots. I got the correct ansswer for this one

But when I divide both sides by $(x-c)$ I only get one root.

And also for 49

In the part of my solution I have

$x\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-p}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-q}}\right)=(p+q)\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-q}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-p}}\right)$

Dividing both sides by $\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-q}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-p}}\right)$

I get x=p+q which is the correct answer

Now my questions are the following

In prob 48, when I divide both sides of the equation by $x-c$ I end up having one root
In prob 49 when I divide both sides by $\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-q}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x-p}}\right)$ I end up with two equal roots

I divided both sides of the equations for both problems by a factor which contain x and I ended up having one root for prob 48 and two equal roots for 49. Can you tell me why is it the case.

I know the reason why I get a single root for prob 48. It is because of the fact that x=c is a solution. But what I am having trouble with is the fact that I used the same process(dividing both sides by a factor containing x) for prob 49 and still end up with two equal roots. Please explain it. Thanks

Attachments

• Q48&49hallXXVIC.jpg
    Q48&49hallXXVIC.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 68
Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotaMathPerson said:
[tex]49.\;\sqrt{x-p} + \sqrt{x-q} \;=\;\frac{p}{\sqrt{x-q}} + \frac{q}{\sqrt{x-p}}[/tex]

Multiply both sides by [tex]\sqrt{x-p}\sqrt{x-q}:[/tex]

. . 0. . [tex](x-p)\sqrt{x-q} + (x-q)\sqrt{x-p} \;=\;p\sqrt{x-p} + q\sqrt{x-q}[/tex]

. . .. . [tex](x-p)\sqrt{x-q} - q\sqrt{x-q} + (x-q)\sqrt{x-p} - p\sqrt{x-p} \;=\;0[/tex]

[tex]\text{Factor: }\;(x-p-q)\sqrt{x-q} + (x-p-q)\sqrt{x-p} \;=\;0[/tex]

[tex]\text{Factor: }\;(x-p-q)(\sqrt{x-q} + \sqrt{x-p}) \;=\;0[/tex]

[tex]\text{Therefore: }\;x-p-q\:=\:0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \:=\: p+q[/tex]

Arent we suppose to get two roots for this problem? Since we have a quadratic equation. Anyone please explain this for me.

NotaMathPerson said:
Arent we suppose to get two roots for this problem? Since we have a quadratic equation. Anyone please explain this for me.

There's no guarantee that a quadratic equation has two roots. Further from the last equation the second root would be derived from:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{x - q} + \sqrt{x - p} = 0\)

Which if you aren't dealing with complex numbers, which wasn't given in your original question, only has one possibility of being 0 which is \(\displaystyle x = p = q\). Can you see why?

As for question 48, the reason you only get one root when dividing out the \(\displaystyle x - c\) is that you've divided out term that gets you one of the roots.

squidsk said:
There's no guarantee that a quadratic equation has two roots. Further from the last equation the second root would be derived from:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{x - q} + \sqrt{x - p} = 0\)

Which if you aren't dealing with complex numbers, which wasn't given in your original question, only has one possibility of being 0 which is \(\displaystyle x = p = q\). Can you see why?

As for question 48, the reason you only get one root when dividing out the \(\displaystyle x - c\) is that you've divided out term that gets you one of the roots.

Do you mean that the other solution is x=p=q?
Anyone? Hello?

Last edited:

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial equation and the highest power of the variable is 2.

What are the different methods for solving a quadratic equation?

The most common methods for solving a quadratic equation are the quadratic formula, completing the square, and factoring. The quadratic formula is used when the equation cannot be factored, completing the square is used when the coefficient of the x^2 term is not 1, and factoring is used when the equation can be factored into two linear expressions.

What are the rules for solving a quadratic equation?

The rules for solving a quadratic equation are as follows:
1. Move all terms to one side of the equation, so that one side is equal to zero.
2. If the coefficient of the x^2 term is not 1, divide all terms by that coefficient.
3. Use the appropriate method (quadratic formula, completing the square, or factoring) to solve for the variable.
4. Check the solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they satisfy the equation.

What are the possible number of solutions for a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have zero, one, or two solutions. If the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than 0, there are two real solutions. If the discriminant is equal to 0, there is one real solution. If the discriminant is less than 0, there are no real solutions, but there may be two complex solutions.

How do I know if I have solved a quadratic equation correctly?

You can check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then you have solved the equation correctly. Additionally, you can graph the equation and see if the points where the graph intersects the x-axis match your solutions.