Class 1 Lever Experiment: Wrong results

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with a lever using a ruler, weights, and a fulcrum. The results did not match the expected equation due to factors such as the ruler not having its zero point at the fulcrum and the need to take careful distance measurements. The conversation also suggests using the midpoint of the ruler as the reference point for calculations to avoid errors.
SkyStinger
Hey guys, I really need help with this, I do not understand what I did wrong in this experiment.

I had a 30 cm ruler as a beam and some weights of 50 grams, 5 grams and 25 grams. I had a fulcrum which was 17 cm high. As you can see I only have measurements in 50, 5 and 25 grams. So I cut out some random paper, scrunched them into balls to make my lever balance at different lengths.

However, the results the made my lever balance did not match the results I got from the equation:

Effort force = Load force x load arm / effort distance.

Could someone please tell some factors that affected my experiment results and why it didn't match the equation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation assumes ideal circumstances. A real experiment is rarely so simple. You should be able to come up with some ways that the experiment doesn't match the ideal model.

Khashishi said:
The equation assumes ideal circumstances. A real experiment is rarely so simple. You should be able to come up with some ways that the experiment doesn't match the ideal model.

Agreed, but what are the factors that makes it not ideal?

Sorry if this is a really obvious suggestion but...

Rulers have zero at one end, not at the fulcrum. So when you worked out the "load arm" and "effort distance" did you calculate the distance from the fulcrum or just write down the number on the ruler?

Actually, you can take moments about any point. But if you don't take the mid(balance ) point of the ruler, you have to include the weight of the ruler and the calculation is more long winded. For an easier result, you must do as CWatters suggests and relate everything to the mid point. You need to take your distance measurements carefully if you want your sums to 'balance' too.

A "30 cm ruler" in the U.S. is very likely 12 inches long -- 30.48 cm. If you were to use the 15 cm marker as the nominal midpoint then your measured moment arms would all be off by 0.24 cm. If you were to use the 15 cm marker as the fulcrum then you would have an additional 0.48 cm of ruler unaccounted-for at one end.

1. What is a Class 1 Lever Experiment?

A Class 1 Lever Experiment is an experiment that involves using a lever with the fulcrum in between the effort force and resistance force. It is used to demonstrate the principles of force and movement in physics.

2. What are some possible reasons for getting wrong results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment?

There are several possible reasons for getting wrong results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment, including incorrect measurements, inaccurate equipment, human error, or not taking into account all of the forces acting on the lever.

3. How can I ensure accurate results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment?

To ensure accurate results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment, it is important to use precise measuring tools, double check all measurements, use reliable equipment, and carefully consider all of the forces acting on the lever. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results.

4. What should I do if I get wrong results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment?

If you get wrong results in a Class 1 Lever Experiment, it is important to carefully review your methods and equipment to identify any possible sources of error. You may also want to consult with a teacher or mentor for guidance on how to improve your experiment and obtain more accurate results.

5. How can I use the results of a Class 1 Lever Experiment to further my understanding of physics?

The results of a Class 1 Lever Experiment can be used to better understand the principles of force and movement in physics. By analyzing the relationship between the effort force, resistance force, and distance from the fulcrum, you can gain a deeper understanding of how levers work and the role of forces in everyday objects and systems.