Classical mechanics: Jacobi variational principle

In summary, the variational principle of Jacobi states that in an isolated mechanical system, the point in high-dimensional configuration space will evolve along the shortest trajectory among many imagined trajectories between two points. This trajectory is the only one that is real and fulfills classical mechanical laws. This description is considered timeless, but the term "change" appears in the relevant texts. It is unclear if a timeless description of classical mechanics can be achieved without considering the components of the point in configuration space to be taken at the same instant.
Jurgen Kruger
An isolated mechanical system can be represented by a point in a high-dimensional configuration space. This point evolves along a line. The variational principle of Jacobi says that, among many imagined trajectories between two points, only the SHORTEST is real and is associated with situations that fulfil classical mechanical laws.

A description in these terms is said to be timeless because "time" does not appear in the formulae. However, on the other hand, the term "change" appears in the pertinent texts. Can someone explain me how a "change" can be understood without a concept of (temporal !) simultaneity, i.e., without any reference to "time"? Naïvely I assume that the individual contributions to the ensemble of coordinates making up the point in configuration space have to be taken at the same instant in time.

I am looking for a truly timeless description of classical mechanics. Is this really the case for the principle of Jacobi?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jurgen Kruger said:
An isolated mechanical system can be represented by a point in a high-dimensional configuration space. This point evolves along a line. The variational principle of Jacobi says that, among many imagined trajectories between two points, only the SHORTEST is real and is associated with situations that fulfil classical mechanical laws.

A description in these terms is said to be timeless because "time" does not appear in the formulae. However, on the other hand, the term "change" appears in the pertinent texts. Can someone explain me how a "change" can be understood without a concept of (temporal !) simultaneity, i.e., without any reference to "time"? Naïvely I assume that the individual contributions to the ensemble of coordinates making up the point in configuration space have to be taken at the same instant in time.

I am looking for a truly timeless description of classical mechanics. Is this really the case for the principle of Jacobi?

Can you tell us which text you have read to come to this description? Do you know what a phase space is and how it is linked with the notion of time?

Ok let's clarify that; suppose we have a Lagrangian system ##L=T-V(q),\quad T=\frac{1}{2}g_{ij}(q)\dot q^i\dot q^j## here ##q=(q^1,\ldots,q^m)## are the local coordinates on a configuration manifold. (The form ##\frac{1}{2}g_{ij}(q)## is positive definite)
1) If ##q(t)## is a motion of the system with energy constant ##h## that is ##T+V=h## then the curve ##q(t)## is a geodesic of the Jacobi metric:
$$\tilde g_{ij}=g_{ij}(q)(h-V).\qquad (*)$$
2) If a curve ##q(\xi)## is a geodesic of the metric (*) then we can reparameterize this curve ##\xi\to t## such that ##q(\xi(t))## becomes a motion of the system on the energy level ##h##.
This reparametresation is constructed as follows
$$\frac{1}{2}g_{ij}(q(\xi))\frac{dq^i}{d\xi} \frac{dq^j}{d\xi} \dot \xi^2+V(q(\xi))=h.$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Jurgen Kruger said:
ts, only the SHORTEST is
broadly speaking that is wrong. A geodesic gives shortest distance when end points are sufficiently close to each other

Last edited:
zwierz said:
broadly speaking that is wrong. A geodesic gives shortest distance when end points are sufficiently close to each other
Unfortunalety I cannot understand the contribution of Zwierz. Can you express that in words?

Thank you for the reactions so far. However, my description was not clear insofar as one must say, starting from the configuration space: One can calculate the action sum along each of the many trajectories linking two points. One sum is absolutely the smallest. The "Variational Principle of Jacobi" says that only this is the real case, i.e. only the points lying on that trajectory obey the well-known laws of classical mechanics.

This description is considered to be timeless (J. B. Barbour arXiv:0903.3489, 2009) but the term "change" appears in that text.

I am indeed looking for a timeless description of the classical world. However, it is not clear to me whether this can be conceived without assuming that the components that are put together to define a point in configuration space have to be taken at one and the same instant. (This would be a temporal notion). I hope that I am not right, but can someone explain me, why?

Jurgen Kruger said:
One sum is absolutely the smallest. The "Variational Principle of Jacobi" says that only this is the real case, i.e. only the points lying on that trajectory obey the well-known laws of classical mechanics.
Your assertion is wrong. Indeed, take two close to each other points on two dimensional sphere. The sphere is endowed with the standard metric inherited from ##\mathbb{R}^3##. You will have two geodesics connecting these points: maximal geodesic and the minimal one. Both correspond to motions of the mass point on the sphere when active forces are not applied.

Last edited:
Jurgen Kruger said:
J. B. Barbour arXiv:0903.3489, 2009
looks like waste

Likes vanhees71
Zwierz: "waste" means that there are errors in Barbours article. Can you specify them? Are there other ways of expressing fundamental equations of classical mechanics without referring to "time"?

1. What is the Jacobi variational principle?

The Jacobi variational principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics that states that the path taken by a particle between two points in a conservative system is the one that minimizes the action integral. In other words, the actual path of a particle is the one that minimizes the difference between its kinetic and potential energy over a given time interval.

2. How is the Jacobi variational principle used in classical mechanics?

The Jacobi variational principle is used to derive the equations of motion for conservative systems, such as those involving gravitational or electromagnetic forces. It allows for the determination of the path a particle will take and its corresponding velocity and acceleration at any given point in time.

3. What are the advantages of using the Jacobi variational principle?

The Jacobi variational principle provides a more elegant and concise approach to solving problems in classical mechanics compared to other methods, such as Newton's laws of motion. It also allows for the determination of the full trajectory of a particle, rather than just its position at a specific point in time.

4. Are there any limitations to the Jacobi variational principle?

The Jacobi variational principle is limited to conservative systems and cannot be used for non-conservative systems, such as those involving friction. It also assumes that the particle's path is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How is the Jacobi variational principle related to other principles in classical mechanics?

The Jacobi variational principle is closely related to other fundamental principles in classical mechanics, such as the principle of least action and the Hamilton's principle. These principles all aim to provide a more efficient and elegant approach to solving problems in classical mechanics by minimizing the action integral.