Classically communicate information faster then light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of information possibly traveling faster than the speed of light, using a thought experiment involving a pipe filled with tightly arranged balls. The participants consider the idea of pushing one ball and having the ball on the other end of the pipe move instantaneously, and question how this fits with the principles of relativity. They also mention an article discussing the same concept and acknowledge that the propagation of pressure waves in a material is called longitudinal wave.
Philip Land
Where in this though-experiment do I get it wrong?

Even though no mass can travel faster then c, maybe information can? And I'm not talking about quantum entanglement etc.

Consider a pipe, filled with balls that are very tightly arranged. If I push the outermost ball on one side of the pipe, the ball on the outermost other side of the pipe will fall out, outside the pipe.

Now let's mak this pipe longer, and disregard friction.

This mean, that if I want to move the ball on the other end of the pipe. I can simply push the ball on the side of the pipe close to me.

So my push has now been propagated throughout the balls in the pipe. Like a longitudinell wave if you like.

Now, If we make this pipe ##6*10^8## m It will take light 2 s to travel through the pipe, but the ball in the end of the pipe gets moved instantaneously as I push the ball in the start of the pipe?

Is this correctly thought or where does relativity prevent this from happening? Because we actually don't have quick velocities here, just propagation (I know that sounded strange).

Or is this a cheat thought-experiment because the pipe with the balls inside acts like an extension of my pushing finger?

Science news on Phys.org
Philip Land said:
So my push has now been propagated throughout the balls in the pipe. Like a longitudinal wave if you like.

... the end of the pipe gets moved instantaneously as I push the ball in the start of the pipe?
You kind of answered your own question, before you asked it.

Philip Land said:
Like a longitudinell wave if you like.
And what do we call the speed of longitudinal pressure waves through a material?

Likes davenn and russ_watters

1. How is classical information communicated faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light (299,792,458 meters per second) is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, this limit only applies to the speed at which matter and energy can travel. Classical information, such as data or messages, can be transmitted faster than light through quantum entanglement.

2. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This means that any changes made to one particle will immediately affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

3. How does quantum entanglement allow for faster-than-light communication?

By using quantum entanglement, two particles can be connected in such a way that any change to one particle will result in an instantaneous change in the other, regardless of the distance between them. This allows for the transfer of information between the two particles faster than the speed of light.

4. What are the potential applications of faster-than-light communication?

Faster-than-light communication has the potential to revolutionize communication and information transfer, as it would allow for instantaneous transmission of data and messages over long distances. This could have applications in fields such as telecommunications, space exploration, and even cryptography.

5. Are there any limitations to faster-than-light communication?

While quantum entanglement has shown promise for faster-than-light communication, there are still limitations and challenges that need to be overcome. These include the difficulty of maintaining quantum entanglement over long distances, the need for specialized equipment, and the fact that the information being transmitted cannot be controlled or manipulated.