Clock Word Problem: Solve in 2 Steps w/ Hints

In summary, to find the time when the hands of a clock will be in opposite directions after noon, you can use the equation $12x-x=30=11x=30$ where $x$ represents the time taken for the hour hand to reach the required position. This gives the solution of $12:32:43$ for the time after noon when the hands will be in opposite directions. Another approach is to use the fact that the minute hand moves 12 times as fast as the hour hand and set up the equation $12x-x=30=11x=30$ where $x$ represents the time taken for the hour hand to reach the required position. However, this will result in the same solution of $
paulmdrdo1
1. how soon after noon will the hands of the clock extend in opposite direction?

2. what time after 11 o'clock will the hands of the clock be at right angle for the 2nd time?

can you please give hints on this, so i can start solving it. thanks! i have no idea where to start honestly that's why i can't show any preliminary work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
1. how soon after noon will the hands of the clock extend in opposite direction?

2. what time after 11 o'clock will the hands of the clock be at right angle for the 2nd time?

can you please give hints on this, so i can start solving it. thanks! i have no idea where to start honestly that's why i can't show any preliminary work.
Each hour, the minutes hand rotates through 360 degrees, and the hour hand rotates through 360/12 = 30 degrees. So after $x$ minutes the minute hand will have rotated through $\dfrac x{60}\times 360$ degrees, and the hour hand will have rotated through $\dfrac x{60}\times 30$ degrees. Can you take it from there?

still no good. there's nothing i can get from question 1.

paulmdrdo said:
still no good. there's nothing i can get from question 1.

What initial and final angles do you require to be subtended by the hands?

MarkFL said:
What initial and final angles do you require to be subtended by the hands?

for them to be in opposite direction the hands should form a straight line which has 180 deg. is that correct? i still don't know how to set it up.

paulmdrdo said:
for them to be in opposite direction the hands should form a straight line which has 180 deg. is that correct? i still don't know how to set it up.

You are correct about the final angle, which is $\pi$ radians. The initial angle is $0$ radians. So, you want to find out how many minutes after noon it will take for the difference between the angular position of the minute hand and the hour hand is $pi$ radians. You can use degrees if you would rather. This is essentially a distance/rate/time problem.

What is the angular position of the two hands at time $t$ as measured from their initial position?

let
$x=$ distance traveled by the minute hand(in minutes).
$x/12 = $distance traveled by the hour hand(in minutes).

now, $x-\frac{x}{12}=30min(180\deg)$

then,

$12x-x=360=11x=360=x=32\frac{8}{11}$

the answer is $12:32:43$ is this correct?

p.s why do we still need to mention the initial angle here?

paulmdrdo said:
let
$x=$ distance traveled by the minute hand(in minutes).
$x/12 = $distance traveled by the hour hand(in minutes).

now, $x-\frac{x}{12}=30min(180\deg)$

then,

$12x-x=360=11x=360=x=32\frac{8}{11}$

the answer is $12:32:43$ is this correct?
Yes, that is correct, and it is a neat method. But I have a couple of comments to improve the presentation.

let $\color{blue}{x=}$ distance traveled by the minute hand (in minutes). You can't measure distances in minutes. In any case, what you are measuring here is not a distance but an angle. What you actually mean here is "Let $x\:=$ time taken for the minute hand to reach the required position." Your equation then says that, after that time, the difference in position between where the minute hand has reached and where the hour hand has reached is equal to the time taken for the minute hand to rotate through 180 degrees. That is the correct equation for the time!

$\color{blue}{12x-x=360=11x=360}\color{red}{=}\color{blue}{x=32\frac{8}{11}}$ Avoid writing a mathematical argument by using a string of equals signs unless the things on each side really are equal. That red equals sign looks horrible. What you should say here is
"$12x-x=360=11x$ and therefore $x=32\frac{8}{11}$."

paulmdrdo said:
p.s why do we still need to mention the initial angle here?
That is because initially, at noon, the angle between the hands is $0$. Your solution takes that for granted, but it might be better to state it explicitly.

that's enlightening!

now, i thought of other way of solving it i just want to confirm if it is valid.

since the minute hand is moving 12 times as fast as the hour hand

i thought of this,

let
$x =$ time taken for the hour hand to reach required position.
$12x=$time taken for the minute hand to reach required position.

then, $12x-x=30=11x=30$ so, $x=\frac{30}{11}=2.72...$

can you tell where's the mistake in my equation?

paulmdrdo said:
that's enlightening!

now, i thought of other way of solving it i just want to confirm if it is valid.

since the minute hand is moving 12 times as fast as the hour hand

i thought of this,

let
$x =$ time taken for the hour hand to reach required position.
$12x=$time taken for the minute hand to reach required position. If the minute hand moves 12 times as fast, it will only take (1/12)th the time taken by the hour hand! That will give you the same equation as before.

then, $12x-x=30=11x=30$ so, $x=\frac{30}{11}=2.72...$

can you tell where's the mistake in my equation?
. . .

do you mean that we can interchange these two

as

$x = $time taken for the HH to reach the required position
$\frac{x}{12}=$ time taken for the MH to reach the required position?

paulmdrdo said:
do you mean that we can interchange these two

as

$x = $time taken for the HH to reach the required position
$\frac{x}{12}=$ time taken for the MH to reach the required position?
Yes, because they both reach their required positions at the same time!

Related to Clock Word Problem: Solve in 2 Steps w/ Hints

1. What is the "Clock Word Problem"?

The "Clock Word Problem" is a type of math problem that involves finding the time when the hands of a clock will be in a specific position. It typically requires solving for two different unknowns, such as the time when the hour hand and minute hand will be at a certain angle.

2. How do I solve the "Clock Word Problem" in 2 steps?

The first step in solving the "Clock Word Problem" is to determine the angle between the hour hand and the minute hand. This can be done by using the formula:
Angle = (|60H - 11M|/2), where H represents the hour and M represents the minute.
The second step is to use the angle to calculate the time by dividing the angle by 30 (since the hour hand moves 30 degrees in an hour) and adding it to the hour value.

3. What are some helpful hints for solving the "Clock Word Problem"?

Some helpful hints for solving the "Clock Word Problem" include:
- Remember to use the absolute value of the equation for the angle between the hands, as the hands can overlap at certain times.
- Keep in mind that the hour hand moves slightly as the minute hand moves.
- If the hour value is greater than 12, subtract 12 to find the correct time.

4. Can the "Clock Word Problem" be solved without using formulas?

Yes, the "Clock Word Problem" can also be solved using visual methods. One way is to draw a circle to represent the clock face and use the angles formed by the hour hand and minute hand to determine the time. Another method is to use a protractor to measure the angle between the hands and then use that angle to calculate the time.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Clock Word Problem"?

The "Clock Word Problem" has many real-world applications, such as:
- Calculating the time of sunrise or sunset
- Determining the time of the next train or bus arrival
- Solving for the time duration of a race or event
- Calculating the time it takes for a medication to take effect
- Determining the time of a specific event in history, based on the position of the sun or stars in the sky